Quantcast

more tmx pron...

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
wow. it's beautiful. how's the ride?? throw some riding shots up too, eh. i hope you enjoy the helloutta that bike.

have to admit and i know i'll get over it, but seeing it whole makes me a little sad.

ilycbbxotmx

Jimmy_Pop

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2002
Phoenix, Az USA
HOLY CRAP ! dang you did a fantastic job building that thing up! Looks like an interbike show piece! Looks to weigh about 49.99 pounds.

joel

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
thanks, guys.

cg - dont be sad; the bmw clan is a happy (tho fanatical, obsessive-compulsive) one. :hug: just built it last night, so have no idea how it rides. it squooshes up & down nicely, tho. first ride will be whistler tomorrow (garbanzo opens!).

joel - thanks, again. havent found a scale yet, but was hoping it'd be sub 50. there's some light bits on there - most of the bolts are ti; a ti profile spindle is on its way. its nicely balanced.

kadvang - yup, ss. inspired by doc's fq. just an experiment for the moment; primarily a whistler / shuttle machine; should be cool. i'm, ALL over having a quiet, bomber drivetrain.

macmx - is there a "correct" orientation for these disks? i've always run them in this direction; they're noise free, so i dont see a problem.

macmx

Monkey
Dec 28, 2003
Quote from Hayes installation manual:"Place the disc on the hub-mounting surface. Be sure that the arrow on the disc is poiting in the same direction of the forward wheel rotation."

Check your arrow.

rjw

Chimp
Apr 18, 2002
UK
It's not a hayes disc though :)

AFAIK you can run Hope rotors which ever way round you want.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Brian HCM#1 said:
Looks like you're right, I didn't look to close at the full bike pick. You missed a fun weekend at N* last week.
i know, but i had a great time at the Mt Snow, besides the fact i separated my shoulder on my race run :( its ok tho my shoulder is healing fast and i will be back on the bike next weekend to go do some killer chicago curb drops :blah:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
first ride impressions: i rode whistler on sat & did a shore shuttle (seymour) today - i'm stoked about this frame. its at least 5lbs heavier than my v10 (with similar parts), but has a 3" shorter wheelbase & a steeper head angle. its not quite as stable @ wot, but the suspension performance is definately on par; the avy is amazing (i understand what the raving is all about, now) - the damping is spot on. from high speed stutters to big jumps & drops, the bike just feels solid & supple - very confidence inspiring. the bike kills it on knarley trail - i'm loving the tighter wheelbase. and it pedals better than the vpp. pretty impressive performance from a 3 year old frame.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
xy9ine said:
first ride impressions: i rode whistler on sat & did a shore shuttle (seymour) today - i'm stoked about this frame. its at least 5lbs heavier than my v10 (with similar parts), but has a 3" shorter wheelbase & a steeper head angle. its not quite as stable @ wot, but the suspension performance is definately on par; the avy is amazing (i understand what the raving is all about, now) - the damping is spot on. from high speed stutters to big jumps & drops, the bike just feels solid & supple - very confidence inspiring. the bike kills it on knarley trail - i'm loving the tighter wheelbase. and it pedals better than the vpp. pretty impressive performance from a 3 year old frame.
How did the single speed set-up work?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
.:Jeenyus:. said:
How did the single speed set-up work?
it was cool on the flowy downhill stuff (ie, a-line) - no chain slap on jumps & drops, but the tall gear i had to run to get enough speed for said faster trails made the tech sigletrack a bit of a grind. it was a neat experiment, but ended up throwing on gears this morning...

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
that bike is very nice. Take as many pics of her as you can before she gets wear and tear. That's what i did :D.

Yeah the TMX is truely a timeless frame. Forget all that virtual pivot point thtuff. That's "trendy". Brooklyns are timeless pieces. Glad you love her :thumb:

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Shortbus said:
Yeah the TMX is truely a timeless frame. Forget all that virtual pivot point thtuff. That's "trendy". Brooklyns are timeless pieces. Glad you love her :thumb:
word to that. its a true classic. i'm amazed by how well the several year old design stacks up against the "state of the art".

Shortbus

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2002
Stuck in the 80s
xy9ine said:
word to that. its a true classic. i'm amazed by how well the several year old design stacks up against the "state of the art".
hehe, may I reword, state of the "trend" :devil: :evil:

I'm such a blasphemor against VPP :D

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
xy9ine said:
yea! i'm so happy you're diggin' the frame and that it's first ride (under your ownership) was at whistler!! whenever you can get around to it, we'd love to see pics of the bike in action. :)

by the way, the tmx design is five years old. first one made in 1999.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
chromegoddess said:
yea! i'm so happy you're diggin' the frame and that it's first ride (under your ownership) was at whistler!! whenever you can get around to it, we'd love to see pics of the bike in action. :)

by the way, the tmx design is five years old. first one made in 1999.
ya, i'm pretty stoked. i was willing to concede minor failings given the age of the frame, but its been a pleasant surprise. action shots would be cool - i'll work on that. five years! damn, those boys were ahead of their time! who's responsible for penning the design? also... looks like you have a racelink as well (lucky you) - how do they compare? (lighter, more progressive shock rate...??). tanx & cheers!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
the tmx and race link were both designed by doc who also welded every one of those frames to date.

yessir, i'm quite lucky indeed. was reluctant to switch to the race link because there was nothing wrong with my tmx and i wanted to run it forever...as we danced down precarious singletrack with wildflowers lining our path...off into the sunset we'd ride....

however, once i finally made the switch the only looking back i've done is with fond memories for the sweet old frame collecting dust and the world it opened up to me. the race link has taken that world to whole other level i never imagined possible. definately lighter and more progressive. it's been two years since i rode the tmx and i've acquired some better handling skills so it's hard for me to compare. maybe i'll take the t-ster for another ride over the long weekend ahead and give you my notes from that.

xy9ine, what other bikes do you have? what kind of riding do you usually do? any racing? huckables? how long have you been dh'ing? any bmx?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
doc is quite the renaissance man; artist/engineer/fabricator. very cool. looks like i'll have to set up a racelink fund. donations (tax-deductable) are welcomed. so many personal questions! (should this be a pm?) here's a brief biographical statement: the tmx replaced a well-worn v10 of two seasons. my only other bike is a letoy i use for trail, dj & coffee runs. most riding is done on the north shore (i'm 15 mins away) & whistler. i've done a bunch of dh racing in bc (master expert), but i've been slacking & spending my weekends @ whistler as of late (which is my justification for the lateral move to the tmx from a race frame). what else... been pointing it downhill forever... rode bmx as a kid (didnt we all?)... etc...