Quantcast

Moral dilemma - opinions

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
So....I ordered a seat post and stem from my LBS. 2 weeks went by and they finally came up with the seat post, but could not get the stem (I'm assuming they ordered from QBC), They said it was out of stock. At this point I asked "should I try and find one somewhere else"? The guy say's no, let me try again. About a week and a half went by and they call and say your stem is here. Here's the problem, about 2 days before they finally call, I purchased the exact stem I was looking for from someone on the boards. I really didn't have faith that the LBS would come through at this point. So I bought what I needed. I go into the LBS today with half a mind to just buy the stem they got in to avoid conflict. But, I decided to tell them that I had already bought one, but was willing to pay for it anyway, since I did agree to let them hunt one down. The guy behind the counter instantly gave me this look of sh!t, like I hurt his feelings or something - (remember at this point I did offer to pay for it). The guy says "nevermind, I'll just put it in the case and try to sell it". He won't even make eye contact anymore, just starts to ignor me...So I walk out, and not so much as a good bye, thanks anyway - nothing! I'm no stranger to this shop, I go in to buy tubes, small parts, whatever is needed ASAP. I feel like I just wore out my welcome there. I feel like I was very reasonable about the situation, but left the shop feeling somewhat at fault. I know how everyone loves LBS rants, so here's mine.

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I don't see your dilemma. You waited almost a month for the part. The shop should have called you to let you know that they were able to get it and that it was on its way.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Was it the owner or manager acting like a wounded little crybaby or a wrench? Ideally, you'd have let them know to cancel the order once you'd bought it elsewhere, but it's a crazy, busy world and $hit happens. Pouting and moping is not good form before customers in any service industry, though. Perhaps he was just having a bad day because Dickey Me's put the wrong tot toy in his lunchtime Happy Meal.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I give my favorite LBS first crack at sourcing parts.

I never order anything that is not available at the time. If they are out of resources to source the part, I tell them to stop trying. I then look for other options to replace the out of stock product.

Just so happens my LBS couldn't source the part (out just about everywhere....he said to try other places (online etc) and I mentioned that Jenson had similiar part on blow out. LBS said to definatelty get it, if I could.

That is a great LBS in my book. They work with me to get the part (if they can personally or not)

I think the rub in your situation came from him not knowing you were looking for it on your own. Don't get me wrong. You have every right to buy things where you can, but "ideally" you should have checked with the shop on the status of the stem before you finalized your purchase elsewhere. That way the shop doesn't end up with an item they might have to sit on for while, and you get your stem faster (by yourself) It was a misscommunication, thats all.

Rhino

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
(So here's my chick take on things)

The shop should have checked stock on the items before committing to get them for you, or called when they found they were not available.

The shop guy was probably embarrassed that it took so long, and then didn't know how to react or respond properly to you. Oftentimes when people are uncomfortable, they shift that discomfort to others, intentionally or not.

While it's reasonable to think they would not get the stem based on past performance, you could have called to tell them you no longer needed it. More than you, though, I blame them for taking almost a month and not being more communicative with you.

So it really comes down to: How important is this shop to you?
At this point, you could A) take them a 6-pack of your favorite and tell them you appreciate their being easy to work with and blah blah blah... or B) let it blow over and feel awkward (or not) for a bit, or C) find a different shop.

Beer or cookies or pizza go a long way, though.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The only thing a customer should be on the hook for is a bike order. A stem, which was 6 weeks out of stock?

Put it this way, if it is something that I could not resell, I demand a full deposit....

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Local shop owners and workers sure can hold grudges over business. Do you frequent the store enough to feel comfortable asking the guy if he was pissed off because of it?

Don't get wary of going to the shop again. One time I felt like I dicked over a shop owner and I never went back again because I didn't feel welcome. Bike shop owners and some consumers seem to forget the whole idea behind supply and demand.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
llkoolkeg said:
Was it the owner or manager acting like a wounded little crybaby or a wrench? Ideally, you'd have let them know to cancel the order once you'd bought it elsewhere, but it's a crazy, busy world and $hit happens. Pouting and moping is not good form before customers in any service industry, though. Perhaps he was just having a bad day because Dickey Me's put the wrong tot toy in his lunchtime Happy Meal.

That's where I'm at fault, I didn't call to cancel the order. Honestly didn't even think of calling. That's why I went in today, and tried to explain the situation, and pay for it, if it came down to that. I'm pretty sure it was the manager I dealt with. I know for fact the owmer has more class than that. I don't think it would have even been a problem for him. Anyway, this sucks for me because they are the only shop in town. I don't go there a lot, but I do use them from time to time.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Like Sunny said, if you are old enough to buy a 6 pack of some nice beer, bring it in as a good gesture and talk it out.

Edit - or a single beer that costs the same as most 6 packs :)

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Shouldn't be a big deal. You found a stem they could not, after you gave them plenty of opportunity. The shop was probably bummed because he spent a bunch of time, finally found what you want, and instead of stoking out a customer he couldn't finish the sale.

If you have a good relationship with the shop, maybe next time call and cancel the order, so they have a chance to do the same thing. The shop might have waited to tell you they sourced one until it was actually in their hands - as in, not wanting to tell you "2 weeks" again and then not deliver.

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
sunny said:
(So here's my chick take on things)

The shop should have checked stock on the items before committing to get them for you, or called when they found they were not available.

The shop guy was probably embarrassed that it took so long, and then didn't know how to react or respond properly to you. Oftentimes when people are uncomfortable, they shift that discomfort to others, intentionally or not.

While it's reasonable to think they would not get the stem based on past performance, you could have called to tell them you no longer needed it. More than you, though, I blame them for taking almost a month and not being more communicative with you.

So it really comes down to: How important is this shop to you?
At this point, you could A) take them a 6-pack of your favorite and tell them you appreciate their being easy to work with and blah blah blah... or B) let it blow over and feel awkward (or not) for a bit, or C) find a different shop.

Beer or cookies or pizza go a long way, though.
Thanks for your take on it - made me feel better about the whole thing. I really like your bring 'em a beer idea, but I think I'll just go home after work and treat myself to a cold one:) Even though I was partially at fault, I think they handled it wrong. The parts I ordered were nothing special, just generic parts for a fixer upper old school road bike. Basically I could have bought these parts anywhere on line (like I usually do), but now & then I try and do my part and support local business :dead:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Del said:
Local shop owners and workers sure can hold grudges over business. Do you frequent the store enough to feel comfortable asking the guy if he was pissed off because of it?

Don't get wary of going to the shop again. One time I felt like I dicked over a shop owner and I never went back again because I didn't feel welcome. Bike shop owners and some consumers seem to forget the whole idea behind supply and demand.
Agreed. The only one shop death sentence: stealing.

I have seen guys start fights in a shop and welcomed back.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Sounds like a lack of communication on your part beyond the shops inability to be speedy. But business shouldn't have all this dumb emotion like sadness and guilt in the equation. If you want service your way you should talk with the shop, if they can't provide then maybe they have an explanation on why they fall short. If that explanation doesn't jibe go to a different shop.
And don't make a habit of reneging on parts orders, no shop is gonna like that. But the guy at the shop sulking like that is just as dumb.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Del said:
If you want to continue to shop there, then I agree with Del... ask the person straight up if there's a problem.

It amazes me how specialty shops think they're some how different from all standard business practices.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
mike67 said:
So....I ordered a seat post and stem from my LBS. 2 weeks went by and they finally came up with the seat post, but could not get the stem (I'm assuming they ordered from QBC), They said it was out of stock. At this point I asked "should I try and find one somewhere else"? The guy say's no, let me try again. About a week and a half went by and they call and say your stem is here. Here's the problem, about 2 days before they finally call, I purchased the exact stem I was looking for from someone on the boards. I really didn't have faith that the LBS would come through at this point. So I bought what I needed. I go into the LBS today with half a mind to just buy the stem they got in to avoid conflict. But, I decided to tell them that I had already bought one, but was willing to pay for it anyway, since I did agree to let them hunt one down. The guy behind the counter instantly gave me this look of sh!t, like I hurt his feelings or something - (remember at this point I did offer to pay for it). The guy says "nevermind, I'll just put it in the case and try to sell it". He won't even make eye contact anymore, just starts to ignor me...So I walk out, and not so much as a good bye, thanks anyway - nothing! I'm no stranger to this shop, I go in to buy tubes, small parts, whatever is needed ASAP. I feel like I just wore out my welcome there. I feel like I was very reasonable about the situation, but left the shop feeling somewhat at fault. I know how everyone loves LBS rants, so here's mine.

No real dilema there, they couldnt produce a product in a given time, and someone else did. Your LBS Probably wont worry about it, seeing that your a regular and will most likely be back, Dude was probably just Butthurt he lost teh sale after Finally being able to hunt one down, or was kicking himself in the ass for forgetting it teh first time, The Out of stock line is used alot in different bussiness's to cover the I forgot to order it.....In Bussiness, timeframes can mean everything, If you cant meet the timframe you promised, your going to lose your bussiness. Only dilema would be if you had them speciall order it, and it came in on time, and you said nevermind, but that isnt the case, they failed to produce on the given time frame, you shopped somewhere else, they realized it.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
In my opinion: you order it, you buy it. In your situation, I would have called before picking up the part elsewhere, but as someone mentioned the world is a busy place.

I ordered some V-brake bolts for my marz fork, then decided not to go through with the build I was planning, but by this time they were in the mail. I asked the owner if they stocked the bolts, he said they did not so I went home with them. Turns out they did not even fit the fork (which I ended up selling) Anyone want 'em?

I think an availability check before ordering and an advance payment are both good ideas.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
bjanga said:
In my opinion: you order it, you buy it. In your situation, I would have called before picking up the part elsewhere, but as someone mentioned the world is a busy place.

I ordered some V-brake bolts for my marz fork, then decided not to go through with the build I was planning, but by this time they were in the mail. I asked the owner if they stocked the bolts, he said they did not so I went home with them. Turns out they did not even fit the fork (which I ended up selling) Anyone want 'em?

I think an availability check before ordering and an advance payment are both good ideas.

Normally i would agree, order it buy it, but in this case the timeframe promised was not met. Also in your case i would have taken the bolts back, they sold you the Wrong product, so your no longer obligated to purchase it. I like the idea of Up front payment for special items, but at the same time when someone orders something from me, And pays me up front, if i am not able to meet my promised timeframe i need to offer a refund if they desire so.

But your very right about the availability chck prior to the order, that way not only are you ensuring your timeframe, but also ensuriing your sale!!!