Quantcast

Monkey's lurking around every corner...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
So I grunt my beast of a Demo 8 with it's 38 tooth front ring and road cassette up to bent Creek Saturday to the top of Green's Lick (official FS trail name finally). And here are 3 guys who are like..."Whoa, heard you coming..." I was grunting like a fat chic on top of a bucket of ribs.

Well lo and behond, I meet a fellow RM'er. Tgaines72...aka Thomas (I still think it should be Travis), Chris Gibbons and a bro named Dewey.

3 way cool guys in town for the OffRoad Assault on Mt. Mitchell. This was Saturday at 5pm and their race was Sunday AM bright and early...50+ miles of murder! You guys are F-ing tough is all I can say to be trail riding Green's Lick...and fart sprinting the dirt road with me...less than 24 hours from a death march epic ride like the ORAMM!

Anyway...good to meet you. TGaines, sorry I didn't tell you about the stealth line. Oh..and Chris...don't be falling on my bike again...especially when we're standing still. :wonky2:
And Dewey...nice ass.:sneaky:

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Cool running into you. That was my first time down Green lick (Betty Heinous). Man that trail ripped. Like a pump track top to bottom.

We all survived Mt Mitchell. 64 miles and 11,000ft of climbing later we were at the finish drinking cold beer. Thomas squeaked by under 8 hours. I pulled a 10 hour 30min finish. And Dewey was around 15 min ahead of me.

Chris

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Booker said:
Cool running into you. That was my first time down Green lick (Betty Heinous). Man that trail ripped. Like a pump track top to bottom.

We all survived Mt Mitchell. 64 miles and 11,000ft of climbing later we were at the finish drinking cold beer. Thomas squeaked by under 8 hours. I pulled a 10 hour 30min finish. And Dewey was around 15 min ahead of me.

Chris
Holy crap. That is just retarded. Did you see what I meant about Kitsuma...that it's just stupid and useless to shuttle it? It's an XC ride.

How'd you like riding Heartbreak and the Gap? Geez...that is one sick, sick, sick ride.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
bizutch said:
Holy crap. That is just retarded. Did you see what I meant about Kitsuma...that it's just stupid and useless to shuttle it? It's an XC ride.

How'd you like riding Heartbreak and the Gap? Geez...that is one sick, sick, sick ride.

We ended up riding Kitsuma twice. It was set up to be the very first downhill and the very last downhill. The first run down was a little frustrating with all the people walking and crashing, about the time i started flowing i would have to ninja a pass. The second time down at around mile 60 was a lot better. The slower descenders knew the drill and would move out of the way. We hit Heartbreak Ridge at around mile 45. That trail was awesome. So much flow. I wanted to stop and check out the views but i had to keep going. We will definatly be hitting heartbreak again in the next few months.

tgaines72

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Knoxville, TN
hey I just saw this thread for the first time, because after the race me and the wife kept heading east to Okracoke Island, OBX. Spent a week riding a cruiser bike and playing in the sun.
I ride Greens Lick fairly often since I moved to Knoxville. It was cool following you down the trail, and I see what you are saying about not making the stealth move a turn but holding the line through the ruff.
The Mitchell race was really a cool time, I rode with tunes and grinded out the climbs but floored it for the downhills. It was fun making the race moves in traffic the first time down Kitzuma. I passed people in the air on the drops then bushwacked a little to get around people. I was hauling ass and passed over 20 people the first time down. Then I didn't want to slow down on the climbs because if I did those same asshats would be in my way next dh.
Mitchell was one of the coolest races I've ever done. I like that style, long climb and lond descents. I'm on board for the Downieville Classic next year, which is something like 12 mile climb, 25 mile downhill.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
tgaines72 said:
oh yea, and it was good to have met you butch, its cool to put a face with the mouth.
ditto guys. See everybody...my mouth isn't that offensive is it when I'm standing there grinning and laughing the whole time.:)

Was awesome to have people looking at my bike and not thinking "meathead hucker" and who could understand the punishment I'd just gone through to get up top. Every time I do that trail, people stare at the Demo like I'm an idiot for climbing up there on it...but hey, sold the hardtail so one less drivetrain to tune. heh...

Hey, FYI...was freight training down Green's Lick last week behind some guy with "something to prove" and managed to double the table top at the bottom. It HURT! The little bump of a landing is pretty much uphill. fun though...