Quantcast

Mongoose BD

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I like the four piece bars, front brakes, and red grips. Rockin it old school. Rock out with your sock out!

oh and that's a cool mongoose too.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
please rotate your guide plate on the chain guide clockwise, about 30 degrees.

looks good.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
VMARTINEZ said:
So how many bikes do you see in the picture?
four. A cool old school bmx, a HELLA sick pixie, a wheel (well, not actually a bike, but I'm going to give ya the benefit of the doubt) and some huge black thing in the center that kinda looks like the latest in DH technology, but I'll leave that up to the experts. I'm only here to meet chicks.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
DHS said:
please rotate your guide plate on the chain guide clockwise, about 30 degrees.

looks good.
Does he need to rotate it that much?

How does the guide mount and how does it rotate in relation to the wheel as it goes thru its travel? On my Rotec since it mounts to the swing arm and tracks the rear wheel you can be set it so it doesn't drag/rub the upper block on the guide up top and lessen the amount of drag coming from the lower roller....by lessening the angle change over the roller. I haven't seen how the guide mounts on the Mongoose Black Diamond....interesting to see how much the guide moves during the travel.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
bummer. the roller should be up a little more to put tension on the chain better.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
bizutch said:
DRINK MUCH???

Hey! I have that many coolers...:o: But my larger one doesn't have wheels. Depending on the outing you you require different coolers.

BIG cooler...long weekends, large family outings
Med cooler...short weekends, long day MTB trips
Small cooler...quick day trips, trips to the park etc.
Softsided cooler...for trips to games
Beat up, lid doesn't exactly close, on its last leg cooler...For those F'em weekends where you don't care if it ends up in the fire or bouncing off on the freeway. Handy blocks to repair flat tires, level the trailer, an impromptu motorcycle stand.

:) You need multiple coolers, you just do.

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
VMARTINEZ said:
So what do you guys think?
Sweetness. :thumb: Bang for your buck, that Mongoose might be one of the best deals going right now. I predict that I will see a whole slew of them on the hills next season.

MVRIDER

Monkey
Sep 23, 2003
Mtn. View, Ca.
RhinofromWA said:
Hey! I have that many coolers...:o: But my larger one doesn't have wheels. Depending on the outing you you require different coolers.

BIG cooler...long weekends, large family outings
Med cooler...short weekends, long day MTB trips
Small cooler...quick day trips, trips to the park etc.
Softsided cooler...for trips to games
Beat up, lid doesn't exactly close, on its last leg cooler...For those F'em weekends where you don't care if it ends up in the fire or bouncing off on the freeway. Handy blocks to repair flat tires, level the trailer, an impromptu motorcycle stand.

:) You need multiple coolers, you just do.
LOL....W3rd to that! the soft sided mini is especially crucial for getting 6 packs to those hard to reach fishin spots

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
so how do you like that bike yourself. i'm really thinking about getting one next summer. please post your riding style and riding impressions of the bike.

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
So what is the deal with Mongoose? They make crappy big box store bikes, and they make nice bikes? Are they owned by Pacific? Whats up?

And the bike looks killer!

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
yes mike they make good bikes also. infact if you look at there past they made some of the best. also yes pacific owns them now. this is not a bad thing thuogh because pacific has poured a ton of money into mongoose and GT as a whole. also they own schwinn for those who don't know yet. from what i have heard the bike is killer. pedals really realy well and is good on the slops. the only negitive thing that i have heard is that the headtube is a little on the steep side but for tech riders that is a real plus.

i hope to hear a little info from this guy on how he likes the bike as a whole

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
BigMike said:
So what is the deal with Mongoose? They make crappy big box store bikes, and they make nice bikes? Are they owned by Pacific? Whats up?

And the bike looks killer!

the deal with mongoose?....the crappy bike you speak of might be the best christmas/ birthday present a kid has ever seen.....i know when i got my huffy paydirt for my 8th birthday my life changed.
not just because i sy=tarted to race...i grew up in a neighborhood with some troubled kids, if not for the bike i would have been one myself.

was your first bike a $5000 dh bike?

they are under the pacific banner along with gt, schwinn and a whole bunch of other brands that came with the gt purchase.

the r&d team has been working on these new bikes so much...it's cool to see people like the looks and especially the performance.

VMARTINEZ

Monkey
May 23, 2005
My Kid is 2 and he has 2 bikes (1 Trike and 1 small bike) in the back ground. As for the coolers you can't see the Keg Cooler.
I ride with some racers from Utah and I came from a BMX back ground. I also ride Road and Cross Country.
The bike rides like a GT-DHi with less travel. The fork gets packed out on small stuff but it is a free ride fork. I would like to upgade it later.
All in all it pedals good and takes anything I have taken it down. I wanted to lower the front end and put a better chain guide on it. I rode it last night and It feels good.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
lovebunny said:
well what do you think of the bike bc van? i think your the most qualified to answer that question

i haven't had tons of time on the black diamond specificly....to fair, when i rode it i thought the whole idea of riding a big bike up hill was stupid....still think it's weird, i guess i'm spoiled?...i figure if i'm goin up hill i should run a super light bike and hang on to it when it goes dh.

but the new school of riders is calling for bikes like this.

the prod devo manager brian schmith and myself rode the bike in crestted butte on the teocalli trail which is a long fire road climb to a steep single track climb at high elevation.....

i was surprised how well it climbed really.....if you can be patient and just sit down with a super easy gear the free drive suspension give's loads of traction uphill, like all bikes of this nature...it just takes time.

once pointed down i was again really surprised....keep in mind this was before i had gotten a chance to ride any free drive stuff...this was my first try, ....and i was very skeptical of the whole set up.

like it says in another post here...the bike feels very similar to the dhi....i think it's a bit more responsive?....

this trip is what gave me the confidance to green light the dh project with the free drive platform...

our prod devo guy spent lots of time doing runs in whistler and getting info and feed back from the super hero's group and thats where the angles and feel came from.

all in all i think mongoose has made hugh bounds in the last year to be a player in the high end....the bikes work...they are fun to ride and they leave you money to actually take a trip....not just have it parked in your garage because you spent all your money on your rig.

anymore questions ...fire away.

Fshflys

Monkey
Jun 29, 2005
BC VAN said:

anymore questions ...fire away.
So, when is the EC line hitting the LBS? Are you and House doing the clinics, are you going to do signups at the Nov 20th race?

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
Fshflys said:
So, when is the EC line hitting the LBS? Are you and House doing the clinics, are you going to do signups at the Nov 20th race?
not sure about the the time line on bikes?.....i do know they took a lot of orders at the bike show from distributor's.....

as far as clinic's go...we really haven't talked much about them....i have been working with woodward west quite a bit lately, they seem to be stoked on the mtb thing right now......they had 2 weeks of camp last year and thought they went well.... we are working on some camps to be held there for a "weekend trip of training"....the trips would be all inclusive and as a rider doing the camp you would be able to use the whole facility...these would be off season for the summer camps they do so we would have free reign of the place....we are hopeing to get something in december ....but the trails to teach on are not finished so not sure if they would make it in time? www.woodwardwest.com check it out...they don't have any of the mtb stuff we have been talking about as it's still getting figured out....but you can check the place out.

really would like to have some info about it for the nov 20th race at fontana to announce?

how's that for a classic thread derailment.