Quantcast

$$$ mondedp $$$

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
phew. just finished a collections board meeting and got permission to purchase a kehinde wiley painting that has been on loan to us for 14 years from a private collection, as well as to bid on a henry ossawa tanner painting on thursday. my presentation must have been ok because there wasn't a single question afterwards. time for a beer!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Evening. COVID numbers rising (200+ since last week) and it's cold outside. LOTS of kids out (either in quarantine or tested positive). Observation meeting went well and principal is excited to hear the kiddos on Thursday so that should go well. Made chicken parm. for dinner and getting ready to hop in the hot tub to warm up. No deer for me yet (though I keep seeing some nice doe in the road....I live in a buck only area and really don't feel like crashing my car).
Livin' the dream folks....

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Here. Today will be soul crushingly busy - nonstop from 8:15-5 with only an hour I built in for lunch at noon. Add that my voice is giving out and it's gonna be rough.

Got a really nice Arc'teryx shell yesterday to replace my Columbia that now absorbs water. I think I'm going to order a Backcountry branded and Flylow too, just to check the fit. I ski with a pack on (lunches and peeling layers mostly), so I need something that works well with a pack.
I would have said buy Patagonia with their life time warranty and repair program. I just got my 2nd jacket upgrade for free as the waterproofing on the seams did not work anymore. I did pay 50 to upgrade to a Goretex model.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Dude, I remember the first time I was let back on a bike. Physical therapist chased me around the parking lot like he was my dad teaching me to ride. It was awesome. Good for you! Keep going!
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Except it was my wife and kids. I'm going to try to bring them to school today. Could be one of the last times of the year as they're calling for a slush storm tomorrow....

Thanks for the encouragement!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Except it was my wife and kids. I'm going to try to bring them to school today. Could be one of the last times of the year as they're calling for a slush storm tomorrow....

Thanks for the encouragement!
Be safe. My first time back of after my back surgery was really slow and really short. I think I rode around the block and it was at "ride with your 4 y/o" pace. I'm pretty sure that was when I started slowing down. The "land mine" incident which @Nick can attest to was a hellacious crash was when I started largely staying on the ground when I ride. Same since I blew up my shoulder two years ago. My go-fast pace and urge is just... gone. Just assume a big throttle back going forward.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
It's more fun to be able to ride within your crash threshold consistently, than it is to crash and eff yourself up and not be able to ride.

Hence why I'm slow :p

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I'm with this guy ^^

It *really* sucks when you're just moseying along and suddenly get thrown to the ground for no apparent reason. I think it's because I'm old. :mad:
I think I missed what happened to you? (sorry).

And while I too am with 6th, I like to also work at pushing back my limits (gradually, w baby steps), my injury occurred well within the bounds of my crash threshold. It was fluke.

but we'll see where my limits/comfort zone/crash threshold is when I get back in the saddle.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I think I missed what happened to you? (sorry).

And while I too am with 6th, I like to also work at pushing back my limits (gradually, w baby steps), my injury occurred well within the bounds of my crash threshold. It was fluke.
Yeah - my crash was also a fluke - I was slowly cruising on a high country ride back in late September, and suddenly I was going over the bars. The only thing I can think of is that I clipped a pedal? Not sure, though...

Landed with my upper thigh/hip right on a big ole rock and fukkered myself up good. Still dealing with the fallout (although nothing like your fallout, mate).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
thanks. I can't see it but I'll assume it was awesome.
wasn't really, honestly :D

Bunch of granny gear spinning people including @Full Trucker or a fine facsimile thereof get hung up on a ledge. Some try the high/right line. One dude spins up that line.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
GODDAMMIT. I was JRA. :mad: :D

Bunch of granny gear spinning people including @Full Trucker or a fine facsimile thereof get hung up on a ledge. Some try the high/right line. One dude spins up that line.
That climb is tougher than it appears in that video. And that Joe dude is SMOOTH and skilled as all shit. Esp since he had heart surgery not too long ago. :thumb:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

oh I think I know where you're talking about. the challenge there is the steps are just about 1 wheelbase apart. it does take some finessing to clean.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
oh I think I know where you're talking about. the challenge there is the steps are just about 1 wheelbase apart. it does take some finessing to clean.
I haven't ridden that much, but I've never made it up. The ledge that caught @Full Trucker was the one that always stymied me. Joe just made it look sooooooo smooth and easy. I kinda want to study his line and try it some time. Kinda. :D

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I think I'd only ever been up Cottonwood once and hadn't been on it at all in about 3 years. It used to be a fun ledgy descent, but now it's been "improved" in the last year or so to what you see in the vid...

I gave it a shitty try up riders left, riders right was clearly the better option but I wasn't going to try again.