Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Another successful trailwork Sunday, and today we're finally getting some rain to help set it in. Two small projects this time. First is a minor realignment of a trail so it crosses a road directly instead of travelling down the road for 50 yards and making a 180 back into the trees:

IMG_3028.JPG

IMG_3026.JPG

And more work on the new trail. Lots of room to work with here after dragging the mess of dead trees away, so we cut it wide to let the line(s) develop naturally and skipped making a berm this time. It may not be obvious in the pic, but lots of rocks under the surface that will come out as soon as it gets ridden:

IMG_3032.JPG

IMG_3031.JPG

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Humid as donkey balls this morning, ~95% @ 72F according to Wunderground. I am done with this nonsense, can we have a nice chill snowstorm instead, please? :rant:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Yay work. Had a great sleep last night, the temperature here at night is now perfect for leaving the windows open.

I'm in a conflict tonight, though. Do I go for a ride or spend time with the lady friend? Ugh. There needs to be more hours in the day.

@jstuhlman and @AngryMetalsmith: I'm trying to make my NC trip next week real and started looking at Davidson River sites that would accommodate the wheeled hovel Wednesday the 28th through Sunday the 2nd. Looks as though reservations might be an issue. Is Mount Pisgah Campground easier to get in to since it's more remote?
I'm expecting a full ride report. Pictures are optional, but preferred.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
@jstuhlman and @AngryMetalsmith: I'm trying to make my NC trip next week real and started looking at Davidson River sites that would accommodate the wheeled hovel Wednesday the 28th through Sunday the 2nd. Looks as though reservations might be an issue. Is Mount Pisgah Campground easier to get in to since it's more remote?
Davidson is well positioned for several of the good rides down there.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

I suppose not much to report, spent the Saturday up in Breckenridge just puttering around and then yesterday sold off a bunch of items. It's right time I leaned out the possessions.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
@johnbryanpeters - lemme check with a friend who brings his camper. I tend to do either day rides or, rarely, car camp roadside. The Pisgah Mtn. site is a bit more out of the way / remote for sure. Probably a good 45 minute ride either down into Brevard or over to Asheville. If Davidson River is full, Mills River Campground might also be an option. Or maybe somewhere down by Dupont?

Last edited:

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Swelbow is still big, but mobile and not as sore. Haley had her first swim competiton on Saturday and loved it. Ride with Toshi on Sunday and a shit ton of yard work afterwards. Wifey's cousin is coming to town this weekend and the yard has been free growth for almost a month. In the middle of my 50/50 coffee; trying to taper back off.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Can anybody explain to me how Cal can whoop ass on Texas so substantially, but still end up ranked below them? Please, enlighten me.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Weekend to Vermont was a great success. Perry Hill delivered the goods again on Friday. That place has to be my favourite place to ride, anywhere. It has the perfect balance of flow and gnar imo.

Pittsfield was a bit of a let down tbh… the climbing trails are fantastic, but the DH trails are like the climbing trails… lots of sharp little climbs in the middle of fun dh sections. Hard to get a flow going. And no, I’m not referring to “IMBA flow”… which this place has succumbed to in spades. It’s too bad really, because it has such amazing potential and the rock/shale the mountain is made of seems like it would laugh in the face of rain. Still, it was a spectacular place to ride a bike, the scenery is awesome, and the general store serves up some great food. Riding Cyclone/Revolution was a great way to top off the day before destroying some American flatbreads…

Thanks to @johnnybryanpeters for recommending Hinesburg Town Forest. Those were some fun trails. We wussed out and did a couple of shuttle runs instead of a pedal loop, but there is so much potential to string together great rides of varying duration using pedal power. Next time for sure. It’s a great place to end our trips on as it’s on the way home. We also found the Huntington Gorge waterfall… great place for a swim post-ride (yes we were careful, no we didn’t swim in the gorge… we swam just a little upstream)

What a great place to ride bikes, drink great beer, eat good food, meet nice people.

Now it’s back in the salt pit. :(

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

Went to Oktoberfest in Mt Angel on Saturday with the intent to truck camp after too many beers. But at $5 a beer and $6 for the wifes wine, we were not going to stay too late. :rofl:

It rained the whole time, so the street vendors and food carts were quick trips. Spent most of the time in various beer houses. It was still a good time, just very wet. Rest of the weekend was lazy and it was nice.

JLStout

Chimp
Mar 12, 2010
Redding Ca
Saw my first ebike on the trails yesterday. Guy was about my age (mid 40s) and looked reasonably fit. Made me ragey. Is this legal? Trail signs say no motorized vehicles.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
got a big case of FTS today. went back to bed after wife and kid left. "accidentally" slept till almost 10, got into the office at 11. 0 fucks given. listening to the misfits.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
:wave:
prepping for board meeting tonight. i feel slightly less stressed than usual, since our director lets me run them now and doesn't attend any more.

drinking coffee. and moar coffee. wondering what to get for lunch.

gonna be solo dadding it from tomorrow afternoon for the rest of the week. need to ride soon or might either implode or begin injuring those around me. looks like sunday might be my first shot.

any advice for how to get a lawnmower (push, not riding) going that got left outside for a thunderstorm or three? it started the first time i tried, but then sputtered out after a minute. has gas, oil, new spark plug, clean air filter . . . it just won't fire. i've tried it nao. again and again. i can't find anywhere to insert moar shmiz either.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
any advice for how to get a lawnmower (push, not riding) going that got left outside for a thunderstorm or three? it started the first time i tried, but then sputtered out after a minute. has gas, oil, new spark plug, clean air filter . . . it just won't fire. i've tried it nao. again and again. i can't find anywhere to insert moar shmiz either.
try fresh gas and carburetor cleaner. pull the spark plug and hit it with some starting fluid.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Saw my first ebike on the trails yesterday. Guy was about my age (mid 40s) and looked reasonably fit. Made me ragey. Is this legal? Trail signs say no motorized vehicles.
It is not. Those people need to be yelled at.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
try fresh gas and carburetor cleaner. pull the spark plug and hit it with some starting fluid.
It's like a car, you have to push start the blades with your hands.

FTS today. Didn't get out of my shift last night until 12:30, bed by 1:30 then back up for work today at 5:30. Not a productive way to start a Monday.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
right off a cliff, straight to hell where that belongs
Its the future, deal with it. :rofl:

It was part of a facebook post for "5 amazing e-bikes you can buy right now!!!" It was actually part of a kickstarter that hit $100k, no telling what each one sold for.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Its the future, deal with it. :rofl:

It was part of a facebook post for "5 amazing e-bikes you can buy right now!!!" It was actually part of a kickstarter that hit $100k, no telling what each one sold for.
the best part is that it says "carbon" on a clearly aluminum swingarm :rofl:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Crash landing into Monday real life following a glorious weekend. Got the pass from Ms. OptimusPrime to go to Pisgah and stay with a buddy there to do bikes. Arrived Friday post early work bail, drank beer, slept with windows open with no children in the house--this may have been the best part of the weekend. Had a fantastic ride at Bailey's Downbike Zone, more beer, outdoor star wars movie, slept amazingly again. Had a big Pisgah ride in mind for Sunday but my (fycking) dropper post would not support my weight. I settled for Pisgah Lite (Bent Creek) and forged ahead. Standing pedaled my way 1500 feet up to Greens Lick, shredded down and was toast.

Was riding solo so this is the only evidence that bikes took place. Found new love for this bike at 30+ mph in loose dust and rocks over sunbaked NC clay.

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
yesterday sold off a bunch of items. It's right time I leaned out the possessions.
Relevant: I made yet another Goodwill run today. I'm going to end up claiming something like $6k in charitable donations this year so have video and photo evidence of what was donated to prep for the audit to come. :D

Other things accomplished so far today:

- returning (free, used) road bike to its original owners at their request after it proved to be too big for Jessica at 54 cm
- mowing overdue-for-same lawn, edging, blowing, basking in the glory of new 4 Ah batteries for those latter two tasks
- getting Hackintosh to boot back into Yosemite with everything working after a failed attempt to upgrade to El Capitan
- yammering with co-workers at section meeting at which nothing substantive was decided upon or actually done
- read comments from reviewers rejecting a paper submission