Quantcast

***Monday GMT***

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
The wifey and son got home from vacation yesterday so my week of bachelorhood has come to an end. It was fun for the first few days but it gets boring having a whole house all to yourself.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Speaking of the wife not being around, I've been flying solo all weekend. Wife gets home tomorrow. You know, I can take care of the pets just fine (dog and two cats), but it's their constant need for attention that I can't handle by myself. OMG leave me alone for five minutes!

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Mornin!

The network is down at work. Given that all of my files are stored on a network drive, I'm left to do little but wander around the facility aimlessly.

Interview tomorrow for like 3 hours with over a dozen folks. Yikes!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp

Great weekend in Detroit. Coming back to Canada though, the highway was closed which meant that we had to detour through some sketchbag areas. Its pretty depressing seeing what is going on there. The Detroit arena is much more fun than Toronto's.

Counting down the seconds until I pick my car up tonight yay.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
my son's birthday party went well on the weekend. I know this is cheezy, but the simple look of happiness that kids can express is so... innocent and pure. priceless really.

Ride on sunday was ok. typical fall riding: slick and cold. I over did it on the roll in to a small rock face and came across too far over. Went down the face ok, but didn't manage the runout too well, tomahawked and charlie-horsed my ass on some sharp rocks. I can barely sit or walk... sucks.

I've been reading a bit more about the whole avalanche/blizzard in Nepal. I did that hike 8 years ago now. I can see why/how people could be so uttlerly lost and exposed up there. it's high, really high (17,700'). Not much oxygen to be had. and desolate, it's a total desert of rock out there.

Plus, people are encouraged to go as light as possible because it's what hardcore hikers do nowadays: light and fast. I caught a lot of flack for carrying a large pack with clothes and supplies to survive from tropical rainforest all the way through to a full on blizzard. It sucked carrying all that sh!t, and I often questioned the wisdom of it, until now. besides, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and we also contributed to the local economy by hiring a porter once we got to altitude.

Still, reading about it all, and seeing pictures really brings back good memories. such a beautiful part of the world....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
s.

I've been reading a bit more about the whole avalanche/blizzard in Nepal. I did that hike 8 years ago now. I can see why/how people could be so uttlerly lost and exposed up there. it's high, really high (17,700'). Not much oxygen to be had. and desolate, it's a total desert of rock out there.

Plus, people are encouraged to go as light as possible because it's what hardcore hikers do nowadays: light and fast. I caught a lot of flack for carrying a large pack with clothes and supplies to survive from tropical rainforest all the way through to a full on blizzard. It sucked carrying all that sh!t, and I often questioned the wisdom of it, until now. besides, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger, and we also contributed to the local economy by hiring a porter once we got to altitude.
People always gave me a sideways look when they found out that me and my climbing partner always carried a gortex bivy and ultralight sleeping bag on our summit pushes. We came back from one climb after spending 24 hours hunkered down in a slit trench we cut in the ice as 100 mph winds scoured the peak. They carried off another party in bags a few days later.

I would rather carry a bit more and be able to deal with what gets tossed my way rather than not make it out at all.