Quantcast

Mob question

mike67

Monkey
Nov 15, 2001
California
Just picked up a 2008 Mob. I going to order some diety cranks for it. Does anyone know off hand if the bb shell is 68mm or 73mmm?

Thanks

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Cuz if I'm gonna have a bike I might as well be able to ride it if need be (actually, it will be for my wife to cruise around on more then likely). I have a spline 26t so in order to run it I have to use my Profiles. I have a 27t and a 25t, probably I'll run the 27t on the Deity and see how it works.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

t1maglio

Monkey
Oct 29, 2001
southern wisconsin
Umm, I have the Odyssey in mine. I just popped my profiles in it last night and had some trouble getting things spaced just right. I have a whole assortment of the spacers and I just picked the longest and then used the spacers (that you normally space the arms out with) to get things right inside the shell. I actually have an old profile sitting around as well and there isn't to much of a difference. Go with the Odyssey.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
damn! my bmx profile spindle isnt long enough for my MOB.

just an FYI to anyone else building a frame with a 73mm wide bb shell . . .

the left side just has the sprocket adapter and odyssey bb washer, no extra spacers. does not leave enough room on the right for the other crank arm. don't know why i didn't think of this.....

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
That looks shorter than a 5.75" spindle. On my Mob I run a 6" Ti spindle with my Profiles and a Tree splined chainring and it is perfect length.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Crazy. I run a 6" Ti on my Profile and it has plenty of room... FYI, You really don't NEED the cones. But without them your cranks might hit your chainstay.
yeah, i tried that. they will hit the chainstays..... and DirtBag, you're right, i think my spindle is more like a 5.25". i've had that profile crankset for about 10 yrs...

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
As far as cones, I don't use one on the drive side. Just one spacer and the Tree as it is wider than most chainrings. I run one cone on the non-drive with the right amount of spacers so the crank clears the stay.

I have barely 2mm on each side that the spindle does not contact the crank. It really is a perfect fit.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
could be the sickest MTBMX cruiser ever...?

my old ride i was using mtb bars with a angled-up RaceFace stem with several spacers below...and i figured why not drop the stem all the way and run cruiser bars.... unconventional look, but feels rad.... i dunno i'm psyched. try it for a bit. cut the steer tube later when i'm sure about the 2 piece 4.5" rise bars.

.... by the way, thanks for the tip on the 6" Profile spindle--it fits perfect. the old one was 5 1/2" . . .

Last edited:

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
I like the look of the cruiser bar on a MTB frame. I did that a while back and it felt awesome.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
it's an 80mm fork too, so that kind of made it work, with the front end being almost an inch lower than a 100mm fork.

i took it to my jumps today and it felt rad, but it felt like the back end was weirdly light compared to the front. the back end would sort of flick around then i'd nose dive. i might have to run a light mtb rise bar just to balance it out again. i guess a lot of DJ bikes are gonna be front heavy considering the fork weighs about the same as the frame, whereas in bmx (or with mtb rigids), your fork is like 2.2 lbs and your frame is 5 lbs.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
it is a little taller. it's 42 1/4" from the ground to the top of the bars at the bar-end.