Quantcast

***Moanderp GMT***

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
had to come home early to cover kid pickup for wife who left for business trip this afternoon. just spent a blissful half an hour in the hammock drinking a porter in between youngest and oldest getting home.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Got in a nice few hours on the bike. Not in the best shape right now but is amazing how much better I feel after a few days with good sleep.

Interesting thing about this time of year is that the only things that are green in the forest are typically things like bulbs that people have planted. Did a little off trail exploring today to check out things in the woods where tulips were growing. Clearly remnants of things planted 70+ years ago before the county purchased the property. Found the foundation of an old shack with remnants of what looked to be the case of some kind of longwave radio set.

Also found about 5 old graves. Most simply had a large rock marking the spot. All had human size divots in the ground. Not sure if this is from decay and collapse of a casket, or if they were disinterred when the family left the property. One still had a proper headstone. Franck Beck of the Virginia 13th Infantry, CSA. The dates were in roman numerals and I couldn't make them all out. However a quick Google search shows that he died in 1861. There was an insignia on top of the stone that I didn't quite recognize. Initial impression was that it was something a little ominous that would have been added by the family several years post mortem. My curiosity has been piqued. Going out with a camera next time.

Last edited:

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Also found about 5 old graves. Most simply had a large rock marking the spot. All had human size divots in the ground. Not sure if this is from decay and collapse of a casket, or if they were disinterred when the family left the property.
My daddy was a grave robber but he never hurt nobody, he just loved to dig up graves and he loved to steal your mummy.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jupiter is next to the moon if your outside grilling and listening to the Guns of Brixton on Pandora. Made pasta salad with veggies and cheese to go along with the thigh meat I am grilling with Black Soy sauce, rice wine, and honey.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
God Speed Mr. Ebeling, I hope you found peace. :(

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/21/470870426/challenger-engineer-who-warned-of-shuttle-disaster-dies?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20160321

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air… .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.
— John Gillespie Magee, Jr

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, — and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of — wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there,
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air… .

Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I've topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew —
And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

— John Gillespie Magee, Jr
The Air Force Chaplain recipted that during my father in Laws Funeral and Internment at Arlington National Cemetery

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Been having a headache all day. I blew a thick, yellow mucus glob out of my nose and headache was relieved instantly.

Thinking sinus infection.
Yippee...

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
Got in a nice few hours on the bike. Not in the best shape right now but is amazing how much better I feel after a few days with good sleep.

Interesting thing about this time of year is that the only things that are green in the forest are typically things like bulbs that people have planted. Did a little off trail exploring today to check out things in the woods where tulips were growing. Clearly remnants of things planted 70+ years ago before the county purchased the property. Found the foundation of an old shack with remnants of what looked to be the case of some kind of longwave radio set.

Also found about 5 old graves. Most simply had a large rock marking the spot. All had human size divots in the ground. Not sure if this is from decay and collapse of a casket, or if they were disinterred when the family left the property. One still had a proper headstone. Franck Beck of the Virginia 13th Infantry, CSA. The dates were in roman numerals and I couldn't make them all out. However a quick Google search shows that he died in 1861. There was an insignia on top of the stone that I didn't quite recognize. Initial impression was that it was something a little ominous that would have been added by the family several years post mortem. My curiosity has been piqued. Going out with a camera next time.
somewhere back in the woods behind mill creek are abandoned old cars from the 40s, moonshine stills from who knows when, a homesite or two with little left but the chimney and non-native plants surrounding it, and this type of burial ground. too bad you're leaving soon - would be fun to show you next time i'm up that way. i loved exploring in those woods.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
somewhere back in the woods behind mill creek are abandoned old cars from the 40s, moonshine stills from who knows when, a homesite or two with little left but the chimney and non-native plants surrounding it, and this type of burial ground. too bad you're leaving soon - would be fun to show you next time i'm up that way. i loved exploring in those woods.

I have seen one the old homes back there, a little off the beaten path, again the only way to find them is the fauna. In a forest of shitty virginia pine and oaks, a few huge boxwoods stand out. What I saw were little more than foundations and chimneys. The size and depth of the foundation showed they were probably pretty swanky for their time. Never saw any stills or cars. Was impressed by the size of some of the trees. Clearly not as regularly clear cut as the shit here on the North Side. One of the the things I always liked about O-hill. A few gigantic ancient trees hidden in some of the valleys.

Some friends of mine are archaeologists at UVA, they spend most of their time at Monticello but have at least cataloged many of the old sites in the area. I should ask them about the stuff behind Mill Creek.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Idiot dog will not nap if I am not in sight, he will yip and cry like the world is coming to an end. He is doing better when I leave him at home, but still freaks out if I leave him with friends.
get tranqilizers from vet before trip.

time it so you drive through kansas/missouri at night.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I have seen one the old homes back there, a little off the beaten path, again the only way to find them is the fauna. In a forest of shitty virginia pine and oaks, a few huge boxwoods stand out. What I saw were little more than foundations and chimneys. The size and depth of the foundation showed they were probably pretty swanky for their time. Never saw any stills or cars. Was impressed by the size of some of the trees. Clearly not as regularly clear cut as the shit here on the North Side. One of the the things I always liked about O-hill. A few gigantic ancient trees hidden in some of the valleys.

Some friends of mine are archaeologists at UVA, they spend most of their time at Monticello but have at least cataloged many of the old sites in the area. I should ask them about the stuff behind Mill Creek.
that's probably the same homesite; the graves are nearby. the cars are/were nearer in, probably just off what they now call the biscuit run trails to the right... the stills are a little further back to the south. would be interested to hear more about the history. i estimated the homesite active ca. 1850-1925.