Quantcast

Mmm, Broken Chains...

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
I have been riding the same kind of chains for a while now, its packaged by giant but its a KMC, its super narrow and i've been breaking them repetatively, its becoming expensive and painful because i have to keep taking links out of the chain each time it breaks to put it back together. Any ideas for better chains? within the 20-30 dollar range? or how i can get my chain to stop breaking? and i don't believe that master links help this problem because i've broken several....

erikkellison

Monkey
Jan 28, 2004
Denver, CO
Where are you breaking the chain? Random places, at a quick link of some sort, or somewhere that you worked on the chain with a tool?
Master Links aren't made to stop a chain from breaking per se, though they are a stronger link than if you had to break and mend a chain with a tool as that joint is weakened. A chain with quick links are where it's at, but I prefer the Wippermann design to the Sram design as it's more secure, stronger and easier to remove and put back together.
As for what chains, they're all going to be the same width as there is a prescribed width for 9 speed drivetrains. KMC chains are not reputed to be reliable, but are just known for being cheap. I'd get a Sram 7.0 or 9.0 level chain. Keep it clean (clean it fully with degreaser every 2-4 rides), lube it and wipe the excess lube off, and get it to the right length so it is not under too much tension.
That should help!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I have been using connex/wippernam chains for the last five years or so, after a few srams in a row, with great results. The quick link allows easy removal for cleaning and it feels more secure that the sram version.

Bottom line buy a different brand. Try to find a better one on sale from sram or connex or the new shimano xtr/durace (w/o quick link)

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I have had the best luck with CN 7701 Dura Ace chains. I always bent plates on Sram chains. I don't know why. I see tons of people ride them, but I coudn't.

I am not so sure Beyond Bikes is so bad, so I hear, if they are your local shop. Just not so good for mail order. I am riding with a chick from there next month, so I'll ask why everyone hates them.

XRT_SquallJt

Chimp
Apr 1, 2005
hehe, that sounds good, yeah, i ordered a full face helmet from Beyond Bikes and it only took a week to get to me, but then again i live in riverside and beyond bikes is in San Diego, could have ridden there faster, but whatever

hardtales

Chimp
Jul 23, 2005
Tega Cay, SC
so, a master link is stronger than just reconnecting regular links with a chain tool?? I wouldn't've thought so.

I've had several chain breaks recently, an I finally marked the spot where I reconnected it, and that is the spot where it broke the next time. The links just spread open and [BANG] split apart. So, got me a new chain, hoping to have better luck. Didn't use the master link that came with it, tho... I NEVER had this problem on my BMX chains. Always used the chain tool, no master link. We'll see how it goes...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
You shouldn't just push pins back and forth in a chain. They rely on a very tight press fit and you degrade that when you push them back and forth.

If you take a chain apart without a master link, use the special double-long pin Shimano supplies to put it back together. Don't just push the old pin back in.

Master links are a very good idea. Use them - they are stronger than just pushing pins back and forth.

Again, this is in an ideal circumstance. If you don't have a master link or whatever, fine, just use the old pin you pushed out, but it is going to be weaker.