Quantcast

Mission Motors files bankruptcy

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sucks to hear. There's a fine line between being on the forefront of new technology and being ahead of your time. I am hopeful it will continue in one form or another. The bikes are super rad and it would be a shame to see them disappear. I'd love an SM version. Ohio, best of luck whatever happens.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
:stupid:

Entry barrier was pretty high. It was definitely on my list of "post lotto win" purchases, but outside of winning something I never play, it was beyond what my wallet could handle.
Same boat as all the guys I know. It compared to a stacked KTM, but 2 Yamahas is a tough sell. The 5 year burn rate was nice, too (gas, oil changes, valve adjustment). But again, it's the price of admission that was tough to swallow.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
As stupid as I think HD motors is, Alta followed the Tesla path, but without the cult leader Elon. It took 10 years to deliver a bike, one year later they dropped the price 30%, and their target market was remarkably limited. When most people ride MX bikes on a track, why would you want an electric bike when all of your friends have noisy ass 4 strokes? Looks like they never released a street bike, and only released an enduro/trail bike relatively recently, which in theory makes the most sense for a silent electric vehicle.

Don't get me wrong, I hope the bikes resurface elsewhere, but I don't think Tesla could have done what they did without Elon, and Alta didn't have an Elon.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've seen a few Altas still in shops for sale. Strangely not very discounted. I assume the dealers own these out rite and don't want to lose their asses on them. Not sure who would want to spend $13k on something without any manufacturer support.