Quantcast

Minion DHF 2.5?

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
My tire hoard from the "26 is dead" scare is dwindling. It looks like Maxxis offers a 2.5" DHF EXO, folding bead. The catch is that it's labelled as WT (optimized for 30-35" rims). Is this the same tire they sold back in the day or have they shifted the tread pattern around. My rims are approx 25-27mm fwiw.

Thanks.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
its an alteration to the profile of the casing to better fit wide rims. not sure exactly what that changed, but they claim that using non-WT tires on those wide rims squares them out. i have no reason to believe the tread pattern itself is different. might be spaced a little wider side to side depending on how different the casing was?

FWIW maxxis still has a few options listed as active for 26" DHFs. Actually finding one in stock is another story.

1635870875938.png

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I've bitched about this before, but IMO that 2.5" DHF WT is too damn wide.

That said, I think the 2.5" WT is closer to the standard 26" version of DHF; it's the 2.35 DHF that has downsized blocks.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
WT 2.5 26" DHFs are absolutely fine on 25mm rims.
They're in stock over here and tons cheaper than #fashionwheel sizes (which are all out of stock until 2022)

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
As I recall, they moved the side knobs farther down the sidewall (towards the bead) so that the tread wouldn't be so square on the wide rims. I think the biggest thing you'll find is that the cornering knobs are a little farther down and will require a greater lean angle to engage. I don't think it's dramatic though.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Decisions decisions. Thanks for the info. I'll order one and see how it is. The depth of my love for the DHF was revealed as soon as I had to dip into my last 3!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
its an alteration to the profile of the casing to better fit wide rims. not sure exactly what that changed, but they claim that using non-WT tires on those wide rims squares them out. i have no reason to believe the tread pattern itself is different. might be spaced a little wider side to side depending on how different the casing was?

FWIW maxxis still has a few options listed as active for 26" DHFs. Actually finding one in stock is another story.

View attachment 166906
Digging into the chart a bit more. I'm seeing a few different widths of 2.5" tire...

55-559 in wire (the DH tires)
55/59 -559 foldable

then a pair of
63-559 foldable

I'm assuming the 63-559 is the WT and the 55/59-559 is probably closest to what I want.

Looking through my records, look how much tires used to cost not so long ago:

Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 2.5 Tire60a $44.98

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Digging into the chart a bit more. I'm seeing a few different widths of 2.5" tire...

55/59 -559 foldable

then a pair of
63-559 foldable

I'm assuming the 63-559 is the WT and the 55/59-559 is probably closest to what I want.

Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 2.5 Tire60a$44.98
are you looking for a trail tire or DH?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK

55/59 -559 foldable

then a pair of
63-559 foldable

Maxxis Minion DHF Exo 2.5 Tire60a$44.98
Dual compound exo is the replacement for 60a exo and they're still cheap.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
I myself need a 26 DHR2 for my 275/26 dh mullet, happy to hear this conversation.
Between running 26/27.5 and then 275/29 on both bikes dh and 951...
I think for trail and ripping tight stuff the 26/27.5 is a better combo...felt quicker and more in the trail where 29 seems to be different enough you have to adjust to it. Disconnected a bit.

That is good to hear I'm going to build a. 26/27.5 wheelset for another bike I'm getting for this reason and 26 tires aren't so easy to find

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Between running 26/27.5 and then 275/29 on both bikes dh and 951...
I think for trail and ripping tight stuff the 26/27.5 is a better combo...felt quicker and more in the trail where 29 seems to be different enough you have to adjust to it. Disconnected a bit.

That is good to hear I'm going to build a. 26/27.5 wheelset for another bike I'm getting for this reason and 26 tires aren't so easy to find

I just wish the 26" DHR2 was available in something between the Maxxgrip/Supertacky and the single ply. I would like more than the hockey puck single, but don't want to pedal something super sticky either. :bonk:

<Edit> Forgot something important. DH Casing please.

Last edited:

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just wish the 26" DHR2 was available in something between the Maxxgrip/Supertacky and the single ply. I would like more than the hockey puck single, but don't want to pedal something super sticky either. :bonk:
They do a MaxxTerra and a dual? Or are they all sold out?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First off the DHR II Is a badass tire....ran one till the new designed Betty areived..and that SOB was awesome...a smokin badass rear tire....gave it to my kid till more 26 are in with my guys...
Yeah I hate a super tacky rear unless it's a rocky nasty dh trail or shitty mud and wet roots...anything else (other 90%) a good medium is perfect...
I have a set of go to compounds on schwalbe and when out of em then same on maxxis..unless they are out too lol.
26" I'm going to grab a few and have a really light build shortly (for what frame it is) and it will be trail duty...so same as you I'll be hunting down the combo as well

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
First off the DHR II Is a badass tire....ran one till the new designed Betty areived..and that SOB was awesome...a smokin badass rear tire....gave it to my kid till more 26 are in with my guys...
Currently running an Orange (soft) Big Betty on the rear now. It's good, but I think i prefer the DHR2 over it. The DHR weirdly seems to roll better AND grip better for where i ride.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Currently running an Orange (soft) Big Betty on the rear now. It's good, but I think i prefer the DHR2 over it. The DHR weirdly seems to roll better AND grip better for where i ride.
Are you on the new one and yeah the rear has a bit more drag but when it turns to kitty litter and rocks it holds like a beast and drifts so predictable...
On a trail bike etc I'd run 1 up on rear from that.
But the DHR II I loved man that was a good rear tire...braking and whipping ass end was predictable as well. Yeah I think there was a little less resistance for sure but I did notice on the change of terrain like a descent we have I was a bit more comfortable at speed and took a little more to break free on Big Betty..
DHR II is for sure a go too rear...

Last edited:

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Are you on the new one and yeah the rear has a bit more drag but when it turns to kitty litter and rocks it holds like a beast and drifts so predictable...
On a trail bike etc I'd run 1 up on rear from that.
But the DHR II I loved man that was a good rear tire...braking and whipping ass end was predictable as well. Yeah I think there was a little less resistance for sure but I did notice on the change of terrain like a descent we have I was a bit more comfortable at speed and took a little more to break free on Big Betty..
DHR II is for sure a go too rear...
Yeah the new one. Its quite solid casing in Supergravity and the rubber feels tacky as in the thumbnail test. I haven't sliced it or anything yet and my local is a lot of rocky rubble and stone. But yeah, it feels like the centre knobs resist rolling quite a lot (it's noisy on hard surfaces) and turning across roots or slick wet rocks it tends to step out more than my DHR2 did. I did some laps the other week on wet rainforest dirt and it was awesome there.

One thing I notice is the Schwalbe rubber doesn't like storage as much as Maxxis does. I left an unused Purple Mary in the garage for a year and it was horrible and hard when I dug it out. I put it on to see if it softened up with use but it felt shit (and I love Marys - probably my favourite overseas tyre) so I put an Assegai on instead. Probably my fault, I don't think tyres like storage at all but that one was weird.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
I've been running an assegai front and dhf rear recently and been happy with that combo, for what it's worth. I rotated the dhf back from the front when I got the assegai, so it was somewhat worn already. both doubledown. both maxxgrip, I think.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Yeah the new one. Its quite solid casing in Supergravity and the rubber feels tacky as in the thumbnail test. I haven't sliced it or anything yet and my local is a lot of rocky rubble and stone. But yeah, it feels like the centre knobs resist rolling quite a lot (it's noisy on hard surfaces) and turning across roots or slick wet rocks it tends to step out more than my DHR2 did. I did some laps the other week on wet rainforest dirt and it was awesome there.

One thing I notice is the Schwalbe rubber doesn't like storage as much as Maxxis does. I left an unused Purple Mary in the garage for a year and it was horrible and hard when I dug it out. I put it on to see if it softened up with use but it felt shit (and I love Marys - probably my favourite overseas tyre) so I put an Assegai on instead. Probably my fault, I don't think tyres like storage at all but that one was weird.
Yeah they don't store as well for sure.
Noisy lol yeah you can hear one coming down a road lol..that I did notice, even louder than the original...
As far as cuts all schwalbe compounds are top notch now...I've ripped a couple lugs (not off and not completely) but the lug stayed and the rip was from a sharp Rock and I'm sure a handful of brake at that moment...
I've tore maxxis lugs in half like that several times too so it's a great thing.
The assegi is another great tire running one as a front while I wait for SCHWALBE to get some tires I'm stock.. REALLY appreciate the design...works great....

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Have to admit, I have been ‘Assegai Curious’ lately…
It kicks ASS....didn't think I'd like it...love it
Now I haven't rode it in wet loam, muddy or slippery...I have ran nasty rocks loose chutes, shake, shitty runs and park with it as well as jump lines and drops...mostly dry socal kitty litter and some runs in bear and summit..for those conditions it has been pushed F'ng HARD and pushed 2 wheel drifts with it as well as laid out on berms....it has held line SOLID. Really good tire

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Yeah the Assegai is a real performer. Possibly the best all round front tyre I've tried, although i think the Ultra Soft Mary might pip it on wet roots and stuff it would be close.

There's a few brands now offering designs that are similar to some extent. I haven't tried the Bontrager SE6, Michelin DH22 or the various new WTB or Kenda offerings but my brain gets too fried trying to learn the different casing, compound and width options across multiple manufacturers.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah the Assegai is a real performer. Possibly the best all round front tyre I've tried, although i think the Ultra Soft Mary might pip it on wet roots and stuff it would be close.

There's a few brands now offering designs that are similar to some extent. I haven't tried the Bontrager SE6, Michelin DH22 or the various new WTB or Kenda offerings but my brain gets too fried trying to learn the different casing, compound and width options across multiple manufacturers.
Don't forget the Conti Baron Projekt. I think it is a great tire if the dirt leans towards wet conditions. Not great on hardpack though.
Sadly no AssGuy in 26".

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
as long as people keep paying they'll keep raising prices.
I think if we settled on a wheel size, rim width and Maxxis said that Minions are the only tires people needed prices would come down a bit.

So many damn tire models, it's insane!

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I think if we settled on a wheel size, rim width and Maxxis said that Minions are the only tires people needed prices would come down a bit.

So many damn tire models, it's insane!
Think of the massive waste of time and resources this creates. There are 10 different minion dhf for 26” tires.