Quantcast

Midweek Thread

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My neighbor came home when the Amazon truck was parked in the driveway. Threw a colossal fit involving the Police. She tried to involve me in it. I just parked on the street and walked by them and into my house. Later on somebody knocked on my door. I told them to go away through the door. I am done with you people.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Day 3 of joblessness feels like day 300. About 1/2 dozen applications sent so far, no response yet. I hope August gets a little busier - oh wait. Also, the plan is to cut alcool intake to only social interactions with friends, I'll see how long that lasts.
Good luck man, it's brutal out there, on month, uh, hang on let me think....4.5ish, since day 1 of Covid lockdown whenever that was, luckily the money printer went brrrr and fun-employement checks have been plenty to cover our now reduced expenses and still put a bit in savings. The economy seems to have stabilized a bit, so hopefully that gets companies back in hiring mode.

Have you by any chance considered a track saw ? I have a Festool ts55 that can rip and cross cut with glue ready cuts. Spendy, but a great alternative to a table saw and radial arm saw. Takes up way less space too. There are some interesting videos on YouTube, check it out.

100% get a track-saw. Only exception is if you have room and the budget for an extra big-ass cabinet saw, and even then, probably get a track saw. I have the Makita, thing's 95% as nice as the Festool, but even the shitty ones like Triton and Grizzly are decent. Consumer grade radial arm saws are garbage, the giant Dewalt ones are great for timbers, but the shitty Craftsman 8-10" units that are on Craigslist for free constantly are being given away for a reason. I'll take a track saw, good square, maybe some Seneca parallel guides over most table saws for cabinet building any day of the week, throw in a decent miter saw and you're pretty well set for most things.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Doggo still has a cough and heavy breathing, got xrays and they sent them to another vet for a second opinion, looks like lung cancer, too far advanced and she’s too old to do much of anything about it. Pretty shit bit of news, but at least she seems happy, going to just keep her well fed and pet and hope she keeps on keeping on for as long as possible.

This year is kicking my ass, about ready for something positive to happen:(
I am very sorry to hear that. Our cats show signs of depression as we're 100% home but they feel our anxiety and frustration with work, life and remoteness from our families back Yurp.
Good luck man, it's brutal out there, on month, uh, hang on let me think....4.5ish, since day 1 of Covid lockdown whenever that was, luckily the money printer went brrrr and fun-employement checks have been plenty to cover our now reduced expenses and still put a bit in savings. The economy seems to have stabilized a bit, so hopefully that gets companies back in hiring mode.
Thank you. I am still a bit worried about risking my permanent residency if I tap the money printer that goes brrr.

In other news, I went for a bike ride, got rowdy in the roxx, pinch flatted the shit out of the Enderpo e13 rear tire in a fast descent and walked home less than two miles in the ride. My wife told me to blame the fucking comet so I blame the fucking comet. :rant:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Day 3 of joblessness feels like day 300. About 1/2 dozen applications sent so far, no response yet. I hope August gets a little busier - oh wait. Also, the plan is to cut alcool intake to only social interactions with friends, I'll see how long that lasts.
If it makes you feel better, when I was funemployed in 2010 there wasn't a half dozen jobs to even apply for.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
100% get a track-saw. Only exception is if you have room and the budget for an extra big-ass cabinet saw, and even then, probably get a track saw. I have the Makita, thing's 95% as nice as the Festool, but even the shitty ones like Triton and Grizzly are decent. Consumer grade radial arm saws are garbage, the giant Dewalt ones are great for timbers, but the shitty Craftsman 8-10" units that are on Craigslist for free constantly are being given away for a reason. I'll take a track saw, good square, maybe some Seneca parallel guides over most table saws for cabinet building any day of the week, throw in a decent miter saw and you're pretty well set for most things.
It's a 60/70's era saw. If it works and is accurate, I'll run with it. If not, I'll pull it out of the bench, dispose of it, and keep the bench.

Are you guys using the 6" or 9" Makita saws? It looks like clamps are an option, which is nice to make sure that you aren't fucking things up.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
It's a 60/70's era saw. If it works and is accurate, I'll run with it. If not, I'll pull it out of the bench, dispose of it, and keep the bench.

Are you guys using the 6" or 9" Makita saws? It looks like clamps are an option, which is nice to make sure that you aren't fucking things up.
Those old radial arm saws are seriously, dangerous pieces of machinery. There's a reason most shops don't use them anymore. Besides, the newer sliding miter saws have fairly wide cross cut capabilities and serve more than one purpose unlike a radial arm saw.

The guide-rails on most track saws have non-slip rubber strips that almost eliminate the need for a clamp.

Mine:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

If it's free, and won't blow out your back moving it, I guess pick up the radial arm saw. Whatever you do, don't look up vintage user manuals, some of the suggested ways to use those things were comically dangerous.

I have this little guy https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000J1-Plunge-Circular-Stackable/dp/B00CHN6L74/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=makita+track+saw&qid=1594867908&sr=8-1

The 9" is overkill for most people, it's great if you have to rip glue-lams or batch cut a stack of sheet goods. More and more framers and general builders are using track saws, that's really who the bigger one is for.

Clamps don't hurt, but Like Angry said, they're not entirely necessary. I like the parallel guide because once you set the measurement you can just keep cutting, no need to keep laying things out if you have a bunch of the same width parts to make.

I did manage to get by just fine for years with a regular circular saw and a home made guide, so you definitely don't have to drop the coin on one if you're only going to use it a few times, but if building is something you think you're going to be doing for the long haul, I think it's one of the better tool investments you can make.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
If it's free, and won't blow out your back moving it, I guess pick up the radial arm saw. Whatever you do, don't look up vintage user manuals, some of the suggested ways to use those things were comically dangerous.

I have this little guy https://www.amazon.com/Makita-SP6000J1-Plunge-Circular-Stackable/dp/B00CHN6L74/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=makita+track+saw&qid=1594867908&sr=8-1

The 9" is overkill for most people, it's great if you have to rip glue-lams or batch cut a stack of sheet goods. More and more framers and general builders are using track saws, that's really who the bigger one is for.

Clamps don't hurt, but Like Angry said, they're not entirely necessary. I like the parallel guide because once you set the measurement you can just keep cutting, no need to keep laying things out if you have a bunch of the same width parts to make.

I did manage to get by just fine for years with a regular circular saw and a home made guide, so you definitely don't have to drop the coin on one if you're only going to use it a few times, but if building is something you think you're going to be doing for the long haul, I think it's one of the better tool investments you can make.
We'll be doing a lot of building, so that makes sense. If the radial ends up not being a best/viable option, I think I might go that route. Thanks for the info on the parallels.