Quantcast

Michelle Dumaresq irides for 'Santa Cruz'?

D

Dingus McGee

.... Since when is there a 'Santa Cruz' team, I don't think (s)he is a Syndicate
rider......??

According to the results at Velonews

Pro Women
1. Kathy Pruitt, Luna, 4:39.27
2. Bernadita Pisaro, Red Bull-Michelin, 4:57.48
3. Lisa Sher, Chumba Wumba, 5:03.74
4. Dawn Bourque, Rhino, 5:06.38
5. Danni Connolly, KHS, 5:09.79
6. April Lawyer, Maxxis-Puma, 5:09.83
7. Joanna Petterson, RPM-Yeti, 5:10.95
8. Michelle Dumaresq, Santa Cruz, 5:11.01
9. Claire Buchar, Balfa, 5:21.46
10. Gale Dahlager, RPM-Sport Legs, 5:25.49

D

Dingus McGee

Well, I clicked a link and sure enough SC provides her with bike support....You all know she is Acadian's sister, right?...... ;)

D

Dingus McGee

:evil: Heh, heh....sorry!

And my sincere aplogies for bringing Acadian into it.
(you can stop the death threats!)

Ruprick

Chimp
Apr 28, 2004
kootenay
Why not post on nsmb.com? I know she posts there and isn't afraid to answer any questions or concerns any of you may have.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jm_ said:
Holy crap, look at the size of that shin!
I believe that's what you'd refer to as a "cankle". Though, she is admittedly less-manly of a transgender than I'd expected...it still baffles me as to how she can race in the women's class. I know this isnt the place for debate, just wanted to note that I think thats pretty odd for them to allow that.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
BurlySurly said:
I believe that's what you'd refer to as a "cankle". Though, she is admittedly less-manly of a transgender than I'd expected...it still baffles me as to how she can race in the women's class. I know this isnt the place for debate, just wanted to note that I think thats pretty odd for them to allow that.
if one is going to allow homosexuals, one better allow "transgenders". I'm not convinced that either isn't a form of mental sickness, but if they are going to be recognized by society as "normal", well the "rest" of society better follow suit or it becomes discrimination. Despite how I feel about them, I'd rather have them competing in sports and living as "equal" rather than not.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Jm_ said:
if one is going to allow homosexuals, one better allow "transgenders". I'm not convinced that either isn't a form of mental sickness, but if they are going to be recognized by society as "normal", well the "rest" of society better follow suit or it becomes discrimination. Despite how I feel about them, I'd rather have them competing in sports and living as "equal" rather than not.
Im not saying they shouldnt be allowed to compete, its just that...when you open up a pandora's "box" like this one...where does one draw the line? I mean, why stop at transgenders? What about crossdressers rights? Can I just dress up like a chick and go in the women's class or will Norba have to write up a special rule book that details the amount of surgery one must have and the amount of hormones one must take to compete in the womens class? IMO, a man with surgery and implants does not equal a woman, its just a dude who had surgery and got some implants. As for allowing homosexuals, sure, fine, they as long as they're still in their respective classes.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Jm_ said:

I don't know where I got this information, so don't take my word for it. But I remember reading somewhere that a decent percentage of babies are born...how shall we say...under developed down there....so back in the day doctors would simply flip a coin and pronounce the sex of the child...and do a little nip tuck without telling the parents. So if nature meant for you to be a girl and some overzealous doc made your clit into a dick....I can imagine you being kind of F'd up growing up.

grizgal

Chimp
Dec 5, 2003
somerville
Dog Welder said:
I don't know where I got this information, so don't take my word for it. But I remember reading somewhere that a decent percentage of babies are born...how shall we say...under developed down there....so back in the day doctors would simply flip a coin and pronounce the sex of the child...and do a little nip tuck without telling the parents. So if nature meant for you to be a girl and some overzealous doc made your clit into a dick....I can imagine you being kind of F'd up growing up.
Isn't the DH forum a place to talk about biking?

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Dog Welder said:
I remember seeing something like that on tv a while ago...dont remember what it was though...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
Yes I read and saw that. There was a measurement of the 'area' that would be too small. If it was they would remove it. They, however, never took into account what gender they would be. So some of these people ended up feeling like women and looking like women with the proper proportion of hormones. Others however were still men in the chemical and emotional sense, and ended up traumatized.

I hope this isn't practiced anymore...but it was a recent show I had seen...

D

Dingus McGee

I was just surprised to see that SC lent support to indivual racers this year, since the old SC/ITS and SC teams were folded into Luna for the women and Syndicate for the men. That, and when I clicked on her pic I noticed a twisted resmblance to Ubiquitous Internet Cycling Personality, Acadian.

I am not trippin on the LBGT aspect at all. I live in S.F. where, believe me,
diversity is celebrated ad infinitum...as a matter of fact there is a monster parade this weekend. In front of my house. I've read some of her writing about her life, etc, and I would recommend others do so as well before passing judgement.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
This thread is whack, I can't believe people are posting such callous comments about this. There can be a debate about the fairness of allowing a person with no clear physical gender to compete in gender specific sports but to make (esthetic/appearance) oriented comments about a specific person is downright low. Think for one second about the hardships a "trans-gendered" person faces and then ask yourself if you want to talk $hit? I am disappointed in some of you...

Roasted

Turbo Monkey
Jul 4, 2002
Whistler, BC
I guess on topic (my other post kinda wasn't) I have read her storey, many interviews and just about the rebuttles on either this site or nsmb. Personally, good for her for being so strong about what isn't her choice. But I don't think she should be allowed to compete with women, and yes my opinion is that flat. I have read why she believes she should be allowed but I just can't believe every strength and size benefit disapears even after 10 or 12 years of hormone therepy.

On a personal level, if I ever met her, I would simply ask some questions I have about why/how/simple opinions about competition and then not really worry about it. She is a person just like everyone else I meet.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
punkassean said:
Think for one second about the hardships a "trans-gendered" person faces and then ask yourself if you want to talk $hit? I am disappointed in some of you...
Well, since its a personal choice, I dont think its as bad as making fun of someone with downsyndrome or something. I mean, if you see a guy all tatooed up his face and piercings and stuff...you dont get mad when someone goes "whoa! look at that guy" So i guess i dont see much of a difference there. Then again, I am just making hasty generalizations for comedic affect too, so take it for what its worth.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
So Samwise Gamgee get's a boob job and starts racing DH. Who cares?

It's not like the women's feild is gettimg destroyed here.

If she starts winning with the same finish times as the men, then you'd have a problem. Till then, don't worry about it.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
bomberz1qr20 said:
So Samwise Gamgee get's a boob job and starts racing DH. Who cares?

It's not like the women's feild is gettimg destroyed here.

If she starts winning with the same finish times as the men, then you'd have a problem. Till then, don't worry about it.
exactly!

and Burly, a truly trans-gendered person only chooses what sex they want to convey outwardly because their bodies are technically both male and female, although typically one more than the other. Often the parents/doctor decide at birth and later when the person develops they associate more with one gender or another and their organs don't match so to speak. so it's not really a choice now is it? I know you were trying to be funny but really there is nothing funny about it.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
punkassean said:
exactly!

and Burly, a truly trans-gendered person only chooses what sex they want to convey outwardly because their bodies are technically both male and female, although typically one more than the other. Often the parents/doctor decide at birth and later when the person develops they associate more with one gender or another and their organs don't match so to speak. so it's not really a choice now is it? I know you were trying to be funny but really there is nothing funny about it.
I think its a choice. If I just decided right now that I wanted to be a woman, I cold go to the same thing as "michelle" and no one would know a freaking differance about which of us is "truly trans-gendered" as you put it. How does one make rules for such a thing?

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I find some of the previous comments on this thread a little disapointing too.
I have nothing but respect for Michelle for getting out there and continuing to do what she loves especially with these kind of attitudes directed towards her.
I think she had quite a fight with the UCI to be able to race as a woman, one of her main arguments being that her muscle mass is less verses the bone structure for a lot of women, so she had no advantage in that way.

Whatever though... she's having fun racing and riding and that's all that counts.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
if you consider the way a person is born their choice then that's cool...

I suppose you think gay people chose to be that way too.

I think this thread needs to stop, let's continue talking about bikes now please.

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
I also find it strange that SC has only one rider outside of a team. How long have they been sponsoring Michelle? But then again is Cameron Zinc on a team? Or is he even still sponsored by SC?

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
punkassean said:
I also find it strange that SC has only one rider outside of a team. How long have they been sponsoring Michelle? But then again is Cameron Zinc on a team? Or is he even still sponsored by SC?
Zink rides for the syndicate team.

Back to the topic... Michelle is a really nice person. I rode the lift up with her at big bear and she's just very cool, giving pointers, stories and just cool. I don't see what the big deal is. If she was kicking everyone's ass by 10 seconds then there would be a problem, but she's not.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Could Michelle just have the grassroots hookup on a SC? I know a lot of people who got cheap frames from them. Maybe she just put down SC as a sponsor to give them some props and it got transferred to the results sheet.

There was a good article in Outside about her a few months back (I know, a good article in Outside?)

My opinion has always been: XY, race with the boys. XX, race with the girls.
But then that article made the point that some women are XY and some men are XX and they live their whole lives without knowing it. Now I'm not sure. Props to her none the less for puttin up with all the flak.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
punkassean said:
if you consider the way a person is born their choice then that's cool...
I dont see how you think its not a choice; after all

trans·gen·dered ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trns-jndrd, trnz-) also trans·gen·der (-dr)
adj.
Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex.

Jesus

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
Louisville, KY
BurlySurly said:
I dont see how you think its not a choice; after all

trans·gen·dered ( P ) Pronunciation Key (trns-jndrd, trnz-) also trans·gen·der (-dr)
adj.
Appearing as, wishing to be considered as, or having undergone surgery to become a member the opposite sex.
Punkassen I think your confusing transgendered with hemorphadite.

Completly different.

And yes, I believe homosexuality is a CHOICE!

YOur not born gay, but because of life experiences, you become gay.

i.e. a male being rapped by an uncle.

Discuss...