Quantcast

Metric tap sizes?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Want to get a tap set to chase some threads, but McMaster has a variety of thread pitches for the various metric sizes I recognize (M5, etc.)

What should I have for work on bikes?

Thanks!

blacksim549

Chimp
Oct 15, 2007
Quebec.
You mean you want the most common threads on a bike?

I'd say dropout, pedal and M4/M5/M6 taps.

Or buy a metric tap and die kit.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
M6x1.0 M5x.8 both very common M10x1.0(Rear derailleur hanger)

I would buy a high speed steel kit of taps and then get a M10x1.0 cause that probably won't be in a standard kit.

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
It's the thread pitch that's the question.
4xBoy has listed the most common ones. If you get a small tap set those sizes are the most likely to be included. If you get a large one, there is a good chance you will have to choose the right thread pitch for a given size. Check Harbor Freight since theirs are cheap and adequate if you wont be using it that much.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Awesome; I was figuring the basic sets would cover me but wanted to be sure. Thanks, guys.

qkenuf4u

Chimp
Feb 10, 2009
yep just grab a set of from HF and youll be set for life. im a motorcycle tech and ive used the crap outta my HF tap/die sets...

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
What do you have that is M8 or M10 that is not a nut bolt?

I'm checking my bikes and not finding any, just curious, might need to extend my travel tool kit.
It's on the Lahar, but I can't prove it because nobody received theirs. :)

I just found that pitch info on a site. I've no clue who uses an m8 or m10

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
pedal and BB are specific and you need right hand/left hand taps for both. Don't buy those. Going to a shop makes more sense than buying those. Standard pitch 4, 5 and 6mm are a good be though.

As JBP says, thread gauge and a set of calipers are less than $20 combined. That's where I would spend my money first.