Quantcast

Meet the Hammerhead 125

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Nice looking. Ventana welds are awesome. One thing though. Why not ZIP tie cable mounting? That closed loop stuff is a nightmare, especially with hydro disc brakes.

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
One of my riding buds has a Ventana Salty (which is what this bike looks to be). He seems to like it. Der hanger is made of warm butter thou. :monkey:

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
I looked at Ventana's site - it appears to be the exact bike as the '05 Salty.

-S.S.-
I'll bet the geometry is different.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
If they paid Specialized for the Horst link pivot loction it would surely be a fantastic bike. The Salty I rode (to big for me but...) had a annoying suspension lockout in the rear when you braked going down. Something felt squirly in the rear end too. It may have been the light wheelbuild but still the same it felt loose. Nice welds though.....jdcamb

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I like how they put the lockout lever inside of the swingarm. Or are they saying this bike never bobs, so you should never use the lockout?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I don't get it. It's a ventanta but labeled with hammerhead logo? Any reason or does ventana just make their bikes for them.

J

JRB

mobius said:
I don't get it. It's a ventanta but labeled with hammerhead logo? Any reason or does ventana just make their bikes for them.
Ventana built the HH125 and Titus built the HH100X.

*the RP3 doesn't have lockout, so I don't think it matters how the lever is placed. I wouldn't imagine it is an on the fly deal.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
well i still think it's ****in' sweet. $2k might be a hard pill to swallow, though, to be honest. it's been a toss-up between a 5 Spot and a HH100X for a few years, internally, but man...this frame....:drool:

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
the Inbred said:
well i still think it's ****in' sweet. $2k might be a hard pill to swallow, though, to be honest. it's been a toss-up between a 5 Spot and a HH100X for a few years, internally, but man...this frame....:drool:
but doesn't the 100x have a horst link? it's an entirely different frame imo.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
to be honest, i don't know anything about suspension designs. i just know i plan on purchasing a frame from Charles before i leave Austin, be it a Turner, Titus, or HH.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
loco said:
*the RP3 doesn't have lockout, so I don't think it matters how the lever is placed. I wouldn't imagine it is an on the fly deal.
Correct, there is no lockout, but rather it has three propedal modes(full, half, and fully open). But it is something that you would want to change on the fly. Maybe they reversed it to give the pix a cleaner look? :think:

Jul 11, 2002
Austin, TX
Someone pointed this thread out to me...
to answer a few questions:
1) it's made by Ventana for us, it's not simply a rebadged ElSalte
2) it's my geometry, different sizing, tt length, headtube, angles, everything
3) my tubespecs, straight guage tubing with more gussetts
4) my cable routing (since we build up a good percentage of the frames, we always cut the hose to length and routinely bore the cable stops out and run the line, to me, it's the only clean and right way to do it, same with the der stops, why do we have stops on bikes?, full length housing is such a better system on a mountain bike)
5) I speced quad bearings as standard as well as the RP3 as standard, price out an ElSlalte with a 5" rocker, quad bearings and the RP3... and when you take an ElSalte and put the 5" rocker and a 5" fork the BB height gets a lot higher than when in 4" mode, ours keeps the bb at what I feel is a good height, tall enough for clearance but low enough to retain good handling and a nice XC feel to it
6) why?
because I wanted a quicker, more precise handling 5" bike for tight and twisty singletrack than what's out there. There isn't (for my personal needs) a 5" bike we carried with a 23.5 tt and around a 43" wheelbase) I did the same thing with the HH100 (built by Titus), at the time, they didn't offer a 71/73 100mm fork Racerx, obviously, a lot of people bought the bike and love it.. Titus came out with their own even.. and we are still doing the 100x
some people thought it would be twitchy with a 71 HA with a 4" fork. To some, it may, but the vast majority of people loved the way the bike handles.
The same with this bike, it handles very, very nicely. I can take that bike out to Moab and bomb down porc rim or any dh I have been on in the mountains short of a full on "DH RACE" course... the stiff frame means it tracks well.. same with Ventanas, stiff

We carry Turner, I like the 5 Spot and have owned one, to ME, it's too long in the wheelbase for me and where I ride. I am 6' with a 33.5" inseam, I like a 23.5tt/120stem.
My HH100 has a 42.5" wheelbase, the med turner is too short in the tt, the large I can live with with 110 stem, but the wheelbase is 44.5"
To me and the tight stuff I ride all the time, it's too long, sure, I can get used to it and make it work, but it lacks that flickable, telepathic handling that I love.... the HH125 has the same basic sizing and feel of the hh100 but with more travel and only a 1/2" longer (43") wheelbase. It has that magic handling...
So.. while I am not "reinventing the wheel" so to speak, I am confident that while this isn't the bike for everyone, it will make a lot of people happy...
as for the price vs a Kona or whatever, only you can decide if it's worth it to you or not... I can tell you that at the small #s we will be doing, there's not a whole lot of profit involved, I make more selling a Turner, and even more selling an Ellsworth.. Just trying to create something a little different, create an different option... if you think I am doing this to get rich, you obviously don't know the bike market or me at all...

dburatti

Chimp
Jul 19, 2001
Austin, TX
That is a sweet bike, Charles. I really need to visit your shop and get fitted for my bike and check out that 125. Are you going to be around this weekend?

D

KobaltBlau

Chimp
Jun 13, 2005
Seattle
Charles, thank you. I have been thinking about wheelbase and head angle and you have helped my thoughts along. Geometry is an underestimated quantity, particularly in the MTB realm.