Quantcast

Measuring out fork oil?

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
what are some cheap and accurate ways of measuring out fork oil you guys use?

I had a sweet graduated cylinder, but that got smashed.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Also, many auto shops and some drug stores have very large syringes. You could probably get one on eBay too.

Apr 28, 2006
North White Plains, NY
Nah, just buy another graduated cylinder. All the others work just fine but come on, I mean how badass does a genuine Marzocchi graduated cylinder look on your work bench......or your bar for that matter.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
I went looking for a syringe last time I was working on forks (yes, more than one). After asking at several pharmacies, I ended up with "flavor injector" ginoumous syringe from the grocery store. Syringe is spill proof, cheap, and makes it easy to add or subtract oil volume. And it's graduated in metric (CCs).

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
Nah, just buy another graduated cylinder. All the others work just fine but come on, I mean how badass does a genuine Marzocchi graduated cylinder look on your work bench......or your bar for that matter.
oh this was a big bad ass glass graduated cylinder...like the ones you used back in high school chem

johnnyru

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Slingerlands, NY
I got a big 60cc syringe from Eckerd for just over $2. It works great and is very precise. I am sure you can get the same one or something similar at your local Pharmacy.

Green Flame

Chimp
Oct 12, 2007
Virginia
I use a suction type unit that has a long leangth of tubing. This enables me to get all of it out, while giving the precice ammount inwhich to pour back into it.

----------------------------------
"we should all quit our jobs and become cycling monks.."
GREENFLAME

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Those little cups you get with something like cough syrup or kids medicine (only good for 10ml at a time though). And kids medicine syringes, once again they're small volume.

Or pinch a good graduated plastic measuring jug from my kitchen, (nah actually we have one specifically for dirty work as such). And use it in combination with a plastic funnel to fill the lowers.

Just go to the supermarket and buy another jug.

46chief

Monkey
Jun 12, 2007
Go to a farm supply store like southern states and buy a large syringe in the horse meds department.