Quantcast

MBA builds a custom "DH Race" bike

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
what length are the XTR cranks......?.......even 175's aren't the end of the world.....

If the rest is XTR.....:drool:

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
just shows how much they know about dh racing. i would love to see how long a 6 inch rotor would last in dh
A few people actually prefer a 6" rotor on the rear, I guess some people feel like an 8" rotor locks up the wheel too easily and results in a loss of control. Personally I like not having to death grip the brakes to stop, but I'm not like everyone out there. 6" on the rear isn't uncommon, even for DH.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
actually a pretty bad ass spec from what i can see. change the shifting to short cage xo, ditch the bars for something wider and stronger, lighter racier seat and new pedals and its f'n tits

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
You mean the downhill avalanche bike in mba? Well he was allways know for experimenting with bike setups.
It would be good to see him(and my bike :P ) more in the next season WC.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You mean the downhill avalanche bike in mba? Well he was allways know for experimenting with bike setups.
It would be good to see him(and my bike :P ) more in the next season WC.
He was racing WC's this season - not all, just a select few. I dont know how it worked out for him.

Yeah, Im referring to the bike profile in MBA for the Megavalanche. He has been dominating when he races the enduro stuff; I dont think he owns in pure Dh anymore - the gap has narrowed, and he's not racing enough to stay on top (I believe!)

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
XTR's have a very customizable chainline! Aesome cranks ($$$$)!

helps to not be 250 if yoyu wanna use em for DH tho...
You cannot "customize" the chainline on an XTR crank to give it a 56-57.5mm chainline. Unless you are Nico and Shimano gives you a custom set with a longer spindle.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
You cannot "customize" the chainline on an XTR crank to give it a 56-57.5mm chainline. Unless you are Nico and the give you a custom set with a longer spindle.
You are correct! You could shift them over a little lopsided, but if you're Nico (or MBA) you can sure get some interesting custom parts!

(You think 'they' ride the exact same stuff as 'us'?)

Oh and the 167.5 isnt custom for Nico -- XTR is available in 2.5mm increments from 165 to 180!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He was racing WC's this season - not all, just a select few. I dont know how it worked out for him.

Yeah, Im referring to the bike profile in MBA for the Megavalanche. He has been dominating when he races the enduro stuff; I dont think he owns in pure Dh anymore - the gap has narrowed, and he's not racing enough to stay on top (I believe!)

He was racing only in Champrey. Qualified 5th. But he wasn't as rainproof as Hill and had 3 falls on the trail. That is why I'm curious about him. If he can qualify in first 10 he's still the man.

Minor didn't you know that expensive sports cars have to be McDrive compatible ;)

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
the rotational weigt savings are soooo minicule. the closer to the hub the less the weight affects the rotation, and it decreases exponentially the farther away from the rim.

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
of all the frames available, they took a demo 7?
have you ridden one? seriously bad all bike. coming off dh 9's, sinister r9, m1, a few weeks on a turner (yuck), and a gt i drive it is by far the most dh worth of the bunch w/ the r9 taking second place in my book. bike plain rips