Quantcast

Maxxis Shorty

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
my new bike is a 2012 Entourage and the 2.5 MM is too big in the rear less then a 1/4" or clearance between the stays and the tire . as for pressure i run 32/34lbs most of the time not a fan of the tire wadding up and such
Well, yes, on a trail bike I would agree. On the other hand, I wouldn't run a 2.5 on a trail bike anyways (not even Maxxis) if I needed to pedal it, that's just too heavy imo. I've run 2.5 minions on my Meta AM for bike park riding, but I usually run 2.35 Hans Dampf or at the moment 2.3 Specialized Butcher/Purgatory tubeless with around 2 bars of pressure.
The MM are awesome around the 1.8 - 2.1 bar range for loamy dh-trails, but in bikeparks I tend to blow my rear tire of the rim in berms below 2.2 bar (at least with Minions).

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Just put a set of 2.35 G5's (f &R) on my incapable, slow ass, never gunna win a WC, Demo 8. Those tires rip...literally. Those side knobs carve like a knife and I could notice improved braking performance as well. Recently I've run Butchers and Minions in the 3C comp and I think these are the best of the three, with the Minions in last due to the side knobs tearing instead of wearing.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
*giggle*

You should measure those three tires you mention here.
Yeah, but they're still not really as big as a 2.5 maxxis, a buddy of mine ran 2.5 Ardents and another 2.35 HD on our last ride and the Ardents really look huge in comparison. My spec tires had to cower in shame..

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
Today Minnaar switched between Shorty's and cut spikes. He said the Shorty was too squirmy on the rocks and didn't brake good enough, so he had Screams with the sides cut shorter than the center. He stuck with those for Qualies while Bryceland went to HR2s.

Bedlam

Monkey
Feb 13, 2010
Under ground
Today Minnaar switched between Shorty's and cut spikes. He said the Shorty was too squirmy on the rocks and didn't brake good enough, so he had Screams with the sides cut shorter than the center. He stuck with those for Qualies while Bryceland went to HR2s.
That's interesting, I would have expected them to brake better with the wide middle knob on the Shorty. Squirmyness must be down to knob height, right? I mean, the knobs are very similar to the ones on the screams so if they are about the same length, I would have expected similar characteristics in that area.

I'm also intrigued by the cut of his screams, it seems to me having longer middle would increase squirmyness and providing less corner grip (but increased braking and berm grip?)

Verskis

Monkey
May 14, 2010
Tampere, Finland
To me it seems like the Shorty's side knobs are better supported against the sidewall than the Wetscream's knobs, which should decrease squirmyness. Funny that he didn't just shorten the Shorty's sideknobs a little, but maybe he wanted to have better mud penetration with the more pointy center knobs of the Wetscream.

Dec 7, 2009
Cloud Kiwi
Maxxis Swampthings came before MM and still one of the best Ive run, last year I ran Hillbillys 2.3 on my V10c great tire, but I think the Swampthings were faster and gripped every bit as well, still have my Swampthings since sold the Hillbillys.
Swampthings in ST 2.5 or 2.35s still one of my all time fav tires, would have loved Maxxis to have made it in slow rezzy 40a, that on the front re Minion was the most amazing cornering tire on the front Ive ever run!
This new Maxxis reminds me more of an updated Swampthing than a Muddy Mary.

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
I'm surprised at how long some of the guys stayed on spikes at MSA today. I think Gee stayed on them all day. It was hardly wet at all.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So...anyone running the new singleply version of these? Thinking about getting a set for the trail bike for our clay nightmare here in the winter...How do they pedal?

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
After repeated attempts of badgering maxxis via social media and email I finally got a response..

I suggested they need a

650b exo DHF in 2.4+
said minion in 60a as well as 3c
fast rolling 650b exo rear in 60a..something along the lines of an HR2 sideknobs with Larsen TT center knobs
A 2.4 shorty would be nice too

They said they have stuff dropping in 2015 that address those holes in their lineup...I just hope they arnt referring to that greasy looking rear that Graves was running at Finale...I'm pretty much stuck running 60a front and rear..otherwise it costs me almost 10$ a ride in tires at the rate I go through them...

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I just wrote a review of the G2/G5 combo for dirtrag this month, it's a fantastic combo...

That said they have nothing to do with shorty conditions...;)

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
If they actually expand that tread with different casings, you know it's over for maxxis.
There is no way they have the same people working there as they did 10years ago..They went from having strait forward no nonsense designs to something that looks like a 5year old designed it with a crayon....

All they have to do it recycle/mix and match some old discontinued tread patterns/knob profiles and offer them in all the different sizes and casings..seems pretty simple to me..even if they just took an ardent and put some actual sideknobs on it..

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I'm pretty much stuck running 60a front and rear..otherwise it costs me almost 10$ a ride in tires at the rate I go through them...
I still think ( let Bholwell know this a few years ago) that Maxxis should go after a 50a or other "mid-sticky" compound a la Kenda. The 3C EXO compound is OK, but I'd prefer an all-over sticky compound that is mid way between SRY and 60a. (yes note I didn't say ST). 50a would be exactly in between SRY (40a) and MaxxPro DH (60a).

Call it the "Non-Wipeout Park Compound" - NWP

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
I still think ( let Bholwell know this a few years ago) that Maxxis should go after a 50a or other "mid-sticky" compound a la Kenda. The 3C EXO compound is OK, but I'd prefer an all-over sticky compound that is mid way between SRY and 60a. (yes note I didn't say ST). 50a would be exactly in between SRY (40a) and MaxxPro DH (60a).

Call it the "Non-Wipeout Park Compound" - NWP
That's pretty much what I went after with the 3C MaxxTerra compound. It uses a 70a base layer, 50a outer center, and a 42a outer shoulder. Granted, it's a more expensive option than a 50a single compound, but at the time we needed a triple compound configuration for Trail tires and for Cross Country tires.

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That's pretty much what I went after with the 3C MaxxTerra compound. It uses a 70a base layer, 50a outer center, and a 42a outer shoulder. Granted, it's a more expensive option than a 50a single compound, but at the time we needed a triple compound configuration for Trail tires and for Cross Country tires.
My experience with the MaxTerra compound has been awesome. You can really feel the soft shoulder compound and it wears pretty even overall.

Definitely going to try a pair of trail Shorty's over the winter.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
I like the 3c for traction but it wears out considerably faster for me than a strait 60a...I killed a 3c minion in the rear in 3weeks..completely smoked....I did log 55,000ft of descending last month though :)

Honestly I cant complain with the 60a's...they hook up just fine and up front I get my $'s worth..

Last edited:

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yep that is a great compound, but not available in DH casing, I don't think? I forgot to specify that in my last post. I run that compound in DHF on the front of my trail bike.

At Whistler for instance, the aussie-brit-scando 20yos who live on A-Line all summer run maxxpro 60s in the rear for durability, like Wydopen does in his socal desert environment. That would probably work for most dry climates (west coast summers), but out here in the East, we get summer rains as well as a fyck-ton of granite slabs where a 60 is considerably less than desirable. Something mid-duro in a DH casing would nail it perfectly for me.

-R

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Yep that is a great compound, but not available in DH casing, I don't think? I forgot to specify that in my last post. I run that compound in DHF on the front of my trail bike.

At Whistler for instance, the aussie-brit-scando 20yos who live on A-Line all summer run maxxpro 60s in the rear for durability, like Wydopen does in his socal desert environment. That would probably work for most dry climates (west coast summers), but out here in the East, we get summer rains as well as a fyck-ton of granite slabs where a 60 is considerably less than desirable. Something mid-duro in a DH casing would nail it perfectly for me.

-R
I see. I didn't realize you were talking about a 2 ply DH construction. I can sympathize. I actually made some one-offs for the SC Syndicate using the 3C MaxxTerra compound for lowered rolling resistance. Greg won the world championship on them.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I see. I didn't realize you were talking about a 2 ply DH construction. I can sympathize. I actually made some one-offs for the SC Syndicate using the 3C MaxxTerra compound for lowered rolling resistance. Greg won the world championship on them.
now you're just fuckin' with us. we can make it. we did make it. but we don't want to. at least not for you.

[I know, I know, you're not part of the "we" anymore]