Quantcast

Maxxis Minion riders-2.7 vs 2.5

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I do 2.7 up front and 2.5 out back - feels fine to me, but then again I am comfortably settled into the '40 until death' expert class. I did run a 2.5 up front previously, but it felt a bit twitchy, for a lack of better words. As people have said, Maxxis run small so a 2.7 is actually closer to a 2.5.

When I ran Nevegals, I tried a 2.7 up front and that was WAY too much!

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Haha. I had a friend give me a brand new pair of Kenda Nevegals that were "2.7's". When i put them on, they looked like 3" tires. The rear tire wouldn't even clear my floating brake arm. Those things were like balloons. I took the front one off because it seemed like i had a harder time leaning in to my turns. I kept the rear one on almost all season. That compound was hard even though it said "stick-E". It lasted through two trips in Bootleg Canyon and almost all season. Not very soft, but i could run low pressure and slam into rocks pretty good without getting a flat.

primo661

Monkey
Jun 16, 2008
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
I've run Continetals, Michelin and Maxxis, all 2.5 other than an a minion i have which is 2.7.
Michenlin 2.5, when i measured them, came to <2.4 which is a little thinner than the others but I love them. Granted, im 150lb but I like to run my suspension really stiff especially my fork, I'd say it would be right for a 180-190 lb rider so pinch flats become a problem if my tire pressure isnt quite right.
When I did run the 2.7 up front it changed the way the bike rode, much duller and I could definately feel the rolling resistance and I dont think it'll be back on my bike anytime soon.