Quantcast

Maxxis ADvantage

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Anyone running them? What psi do you have to run to prevent flats?

How does the 2.4 compare to a Minion or HR 2.5?

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Anyone running them? What psi do you have to run to prevent flats?

How does the 2.4 compare to a Minion or HR 2.5?
I had no luck with the Addvantage, even on my trail bike. It clogged with mud and got tons of flats - thin sidewalls. Then again, I ran 30/35 PSI and that probably wasn't enough for those tires. The 2.4 width wasn't bad, comparable to a 2.5 Minion.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
I had no luck with the Addvantage, even on my trail bike. It clogged with mud and got tons of flats - thin sidewalls. Then again, I ran 30/35 PSI and that probably wasn't enough for those tires. The 2.4 width wasn't bad, comparable to a 2.5 Minion.
What rims did you run them on.....?

I was thinking of putting 2.4 advantage on Mavic xc rims (717).....i like the tire and the weight.....just not sure if would be floppy...

SpaZwEll

Monkey
Sep 18, 2002
Emerald VIP
I love my 2.1's on the trail bike. Hook up awesome. I run 35psi.

On my 2.4 dual ply's I ran 30psi on singletracs. 2.4's are close to the size of the (smaller) 2.5's. I'll take a look tonight to be sure.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I run the 2.4 on the front of my trail bike (giant reign). Its lightweight and hooks up well for a trail tire. Rolling resistance is reasonable. I run it at 35-40 psi because of the weak sidewalls. Size on an outlaw rim is about the same as a minion 2.5 on an ex823.

I wouldn't use it for dh or even on the rear of a trail bike if you ride in any rocky areas. I've tried maxxis single ply tires on the back before and around here (eastern PA) they lasted less than a week before they were shredded.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i'm running the 2.4 ADvantage, kevlar bead, on my 6point6.
they're bulbus! almost the same size as a 2.7minion. definately bigger than a 2.5minion.
they climb, brake and corner very well. total hookup.
i think they corner better than the minion, and definately climb better. braking is about the same.
the only DISADvantage, is that they seem to have a higher rolling resistance than the minions. as in, they're a bit slower on pedally hardpack. but if you're going down steep, loose stuff, it's not a problem.
no pinch flats for me, running 35f/40r psi. however, i did get road spiked by some thorns.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
I wouldn't use it for dh or even on the rear of a trail bike if you ride in any rocky areas. I've tried maxxis single ply tires on the back before and around here (eastern PA) they lasted less than a week before they were shredded.

That was my problem, ran them here in the great northeast (specifically, the Rensselaer Plateau on the NY/MA border) on my the back of my trailbike. Lots of jagged rocks. I wouldn't even think of running them on my DH bike....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
been running the singleply 2.4 on my bottlerocket since last summer. they are good tires, but not amazing. the thin sidewall is horrible for use in the rear if you ride anything aggressively. they work well on the front for me though, despite the fact that you need to run them at higher pressure. i just got back from the shore and whistler and had no problems with my advantage front. i did pinch flat the front tire, but to be fair, i hit a good sized pointy rock after going off course on the transition of an a-line table.

i like it in combo with a schwalbe big betty in the back. the big betty didn't feel quite right as the front tire. for a light tire, it is stong and i have yet to pinch it.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
hmmmm.....sounds like the other single-ply Maxxis trail tires i've tried....

The sidewall tears/wears out way-fast while the tread has much more life. Maxxis needs to take some of the meat of the tread area and put it in the sidewall to have a longer lasting and better wearing tire.....

The search continues.....:disgust1:

I'm looking for something for long long xc rides the has enough meat to still be fun, reliable and decent weight.....it wouldn't even be an everyday tire.....maybe once a week.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Anyone have luck with the lighter Michys?

Michelin
26X2.20 MOUNTAIN X’TREM 1075 gr Black grey
26X2.50 MOUNTAIN X’TREM 1090 gr Black grey

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Anyone have luck with the lighter Michys?

Michelin
26X2.20 MOUNTAIN X’TREM 1075 gr Black grey
26X2.50 MOUNTAIN X’TREM 1090 gr Black grey
Thanks, but I'm looking something in the low 700 gram range......right now i have Tioga 2.1 DH (860 grams).

Was looking for lighter tires to put on some lighter rims for super long rides and the occasional endurance event. Don't want to go with silly xc tires but don't want to lug a DH casing around for 6 hours either...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
A 700g tire wouldnt last me 10 feet on a dirt trail. Heck the tires on my road bike are 680g.

I need a tire in the 900-1100g range in about a 2.3-2.5 for my mountain bike.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
check the schwalbe offerings. i'd go with them again. the casing they use is pretty dang tough for a light tire. in addition to my whistler trip, i ran the big betty on the rear for my mammoth trip and i stomped that thing into some rocks without flats.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I would definately look at the Kenda Hans Telonix 2.4's they are VERY light and i wanted the exact same type of performance out of my tires. I have ridden them all summer on the rear as a dh tire even ran them in whistler mud which impressed me. Flatted once that trip but not many flats at all...

check em.

Discostu

Monkey
Nov 15, 2003
I have the mountain x'trem 2.2 ust with the black/grey tread on the rear of my giant reign (advantage front). I must have gotten the tire from a bad batch because after the first ride the knobs were all crumbling and falling off. I ran it ust for a bit, but then one of the knobs ripped completely off and it leaked. I have the comp 24.1 (same tread pattern) on my dh bike and I like it so the tread pattern is good. I can't comment on the x'trem compound and casing durability because I must have gotten a bad tire. They can't all suck as much as mine.

I'm going to try the michelin mountain a/t next.