Quantcast

Mavic Deemax rim with non-deemax hubs?

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
I'm tooling around with an idea of building wheels with Deemax Ultimate rims and Hope pro 2 hubs. I have few questions regarding this.

1. Do the Deemax spoke nipples thread into the rim?
2. If so could I use EX823 nipple inserts to replace the Deemax nipples and use regular spokes and nipples?
3. Does anybody know how much the Deemax Ultimate rim weights?

tuumbaq

Monkey
Jul 5, 2006
Squamish BC
I'm tooling around with an idea of building wheels with Deemax Ultimate rims and Hope pro 2 hubs. I have few questions regarding this.

1. Do the Deemax spoke nipples thread into the rim?
2. If so could I use EX823 nipple inserts to replace the Deemax nipples and use regular spokes and nipples?
3. Does anybody know how much the Deemax Ultimate rim weights?
Woulnt want to burst your bubble but Im pretty sure the Deemax rim as 28 holes...and I dont think Hopes makes a hub to match it...You can NOT use regular nipples with the Deemax rim either.That said Im no wheel buiders and have no idea if it can be done but it sure doesn look very promising I'd say

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
Deemax rear wheel has 32 spokes. I know I can't just go and use regular nipples with the rim... That's why I wonder if the EX823 nipple inserts would fit and allow me to use regular nipples.

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
Yeah I know that. What I'm really wondering is if it would be possible to replace the deemax nipples with nipple inserts from Mavic EX823 rim. That would allow me to use regular nipples just like I would with EX823 rims.

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
im guessing you used deemax nipples not the 823s. Not much experience with the newer deemax but I know with the mavic road spokes and nipples that the nipple contains a brass nylock nut that the spoke screws into. The nipple can then spin freely on the nut and then screw in and out of the rim without changing the effective spoke length. So you'd probably need to get the deemax spokes and strip them and then pop the nipples and brass nuts onto the normal spokes that will work with your chosen hubs. It seems like an awfull lot of hassle and if you were paying someone to do it probably cheaper to just buy deemaxs off the shelf.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
So I guess it's possible to buy just the deemax ultimate rims ???

Where and how much ??
My team is sponsored by Mavic, the only place is from your LBS. You won't find them online and you can't order them from Mavic. That's why I said I looked into it and gave up. It was easier to just order their wheelset.

And the rims are pricey.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
My team is sponsored by Mavic, the only place is from your LBS. You won't find them online and you can't order them from Mavic. That's why I said I looked into it and gave up. It was easier to just order their wheelset.

And the rims are pricey.

Yeah, I thought they were going to be expensive and hard to get.... That's why I asked....

I'll stick with my ex823.... Unless mavic start to sell them separately...

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
i presume they are available as a spare, but knowing Mavic they could take months to arrive.

steelforeel

Chimp
Dec 2, 2009
Thanks to everybody clearing this up for me. Seems like it's not worth it since I'd have to buy the deemax spokes... those aren't really cheap. The rims I could get separately in somewhat reasonable price, but...

82DemoRider

Chimp
Mar 8, 2011
I started them and 1/2 way through the process realized it was way more of a pain than I thought. For the record they weigh 2,200 grams. Still 50 grams heavier than DeeMax.

I just saw this question and had put up the picture to brag really. I have to justify going through the headache somehow right?

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
care to enlighten me just encase im ever really bored and have loads of spare cash someday.

san_andreas

Chimp
Dec 16, 2010
This is a 32 h Deemax rim laced to a Chris King hub:

It is no problem to order Deemax rims from Mavic. They are normal spare parts, only rather expensive.