Quantcast

Massanutten information

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Anyone planning on coming out from the DC/MD/VA metro area. My car has got some issues at the moment and I cannot rely on it to make it all the way up. I haven't really made any arrangements for it yet but I would be game to throw in some dough or whatever would convince someone to let me throw a bike and some gear on the car. I'd be game for splitting a room or I could camp or whatever. I just want to RACE!!!

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
of course you can run both pro & open

We have to check the start list and place your two runs far enough
apart so you can make both start times.

Hardtail is usually at the end of the day so folks can race two classes.

If you are serious lets work on it with the registration folks on Friday Morning.

Thanks for asking.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
VADHPROMO- Will camping be allowed Thursday night on the slope? Since practice starts so early one of my buddies wants to be there first thing

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Anyone planning on coming out from the DC/MD/VA metro area. My car has got some issues at the moment and I cannot rely on it to make it all the way up. I haven't really made any arrangements for it yet but I would be game to throw in some dough or whatever would convince someone to let me throw a bike and some gear on the car. I'd be game for splitting a room or I could camp or whatever. I just want to RACE!!!
I might have room. I'm waiting to hear back from a buddy about carpooling. I might already have 4 in my truck but if not I'm sure we can work something out.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
As long as you are careful in the first rockgarden its pretty smooth sailing from there as long as you choose your lines. I haven't seen too many guys flat after that. Only thing you really have to watch out for is roots in the last part. They are treacherous.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
As long as you are careful in the first rockgarden its pretty smooth sailing from there as long as you choose your lines. I haven't seen too many guys flat after that. Only thing you really have to watch out for is roots in the last part. They are treacherous.
I gotta see if I have that photo of Alex after he went tits over tea kettles on that root garden. It looked like I had taken my knife to his face in a few spots.

Jesus that was a fun weekend.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
shhh...nobody say this out loud but...the weather forecast is calling for upper 70's - low 80's with minimal rain chance on both friday and saturday :D :D

remember, don't say it out loud or the weather fairies will hear us and change things.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I got a kick out of this

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
April 20, 2010; Conshohocken, PA, USA: Gravity East is introducing a new, non-championship,
event following practice for the classic Yee Ha! downhill race at Massanutten Resort, on Friday,
April 30. The skinny-tire asphalt racers typically call this kind of preliminary event a prologue,
but series publicist Ken Getchell says the term doesn&#8217;t really capture the true character of the
festivities at the popular Virginia resort. &#8220;It&#8217;s not really a prologue in the sense of the Tour de
France,&#8221; says Getchell, &#8220;it&#8217;s more of a schmo-logue where the big ole&#8217;Gravity East family can
get together for the first time in months and let their hair down before laying all on the line for the
first time the next day.&#8221;
At the heart of the evening will be a Gravity East Inaugural Foot-Down Derby. Wildly popular
with New England mountain bikers and Portland cyclocrossers, the object of a Foot-Down
Derby (other than an excuse to drink beer) is to eliminate your competitors by forcing them to
put their foot on the ground. At ten rounds, Gravity East&#8217;s Dan McDonald claims the Foot-Down
Derby at Massanutten will be double the length of a typical UFC title fight; a comparison that he
freely acknowledges is apropos to nothing, &#8220;except it sounds good.&#8221; There will be (more-or-less)
strict rules about contact in the Foot-Down Derby, and McDonald says &#8220;unnecessary&#8221; groping
will be strictly prohibited. There will also be a racing event as muscular downhillers compete,
primarily for the amusement of their peers, in a downhill slalom race aboard kiddie bikes
designed for kindergarten-aged children.
It won&#8217;t be all fun and games during the weekend, though. While Friday night&#8217;s Foot-Down
Derby and Kid&#8217;s Bike Slalom may be lighthearted, the following day&#8217;s Yee Ha! Downhill is one of
the East&#8217;s most iconic downhill races. Taking place on one of the few American courses to ever
host a World Cup downhill, the early season Yee Ha! traditionally draws riders from throughout
the U.S. and Canada as they compete in all 15 of Gravity East&#8217;s championship classes. Like
athletes everywhere, however, gravity racers need to warm-up and get loose in order to perform
at their peak. &#8220;Most likely,&#8221; say Getchell, &#8220;for many riders that will mean spending Friday night
eating, drinking, watching people fall down in the Derby and Kid&#8217;s Bike Slalom -- and telling lies
that will be exposed the next day.&#8221;

May 31, 2007
Manchester, NH
you racing the open class?
Dennis,

Just an FYI the Open class does not carry GES points and it is a MassResort class they like to run, and it is just bragging rights no prizes or medals just Yeah you won....not sure that is what your looking for.

Friendly note: I found out about this last year, because it is not an official class listing for the GES we cannot count it.

Also for those reading check out www.gravityeastseries.com and read the Rules/FAQ and if you are licensed PLEASE PLEASE bring an authorization to ride printed from USAC or your actual license to registration or you will get slowed in registration.

Thank You and looking to see you ALL!!!!!!!

Tedman

Monkey
Oct 27, 2009
Lebanon, PA
Dennis,

Just an FYI the Open class does not carry GES points and it is a MassResort class they like to run, and it is just bragging rights no prizes or medals just Yeah you won....not sure that is what your looking for.

Friendly note: I found out about this last year, because it is not an official class listing for the GES we cannot count it.

Also for those reading check out www.gravityeastseries.com and read the Rules/FAQ and if you are licensed PLEASE PLEASE bring an authorization to ride printed from USAC or your actual license to registration or you will get slowed in registration.

What about pre-registrations? Still need our license available, right?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Dennis,

yea i know open doesnt count for anything, i just love the massanutten race course so why not run it twice :)

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
i think the question was asked earlier but i didn't' see a response: can we camp on thursday night? i hate getting up early to drive...would rather head out after work on thursday and sleep peacefully in my hammock on the mtn.

sicktrick89

Chimp
Feb 25, 2006
will there be any problem driving 9 hours down and registering? i dont want to get there and find out its full.

WHEELIEKING

Chimp
Apr 18, 2010
I registered and purchased the one day pass for Cat 2...Will the pts go towards GES Series? May purchase annual later.

If I race Cat 1 as well do I need to go ahead and purchase the annual?..or will the one day work?..and of course would like the pts to count.

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I registered and purchased the one day pass for Cat 2...Will the pts go towards GES Series? May purchase annual later.

If I race Cat 1 as well do I need to go ahead and purchase the annual?..or will the one day work?..and of course would like the pts to count.
you cant race cat1 without having an cat1 license, you need to earn your cat1. X amount of top 5 races if im correct i forget off hand.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Can I buy an annual license at the race? Or do I need to apply elsewhere before hand this weekend? I only raced 4 events and bought a 1 day license but am looking to race all 8 races this summer.

If it is of importance, I am in cat 2 currently, looking to move up to 1 soon.

PArider29

Monkey
Jan 20, 2010
back to NC

from the GES Rules:

B) 5 races for minimum race attendance required to be awarded prizes at GES finals

C) One day USAC licenses will not be tracked in point’s standings.

D) Must have a 2010 USAC Annual License

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
i think the question was asked earlier but i didn't' see a response: can we camp on thursday night? i hate getting up early to drive...would rather head out after work on thursday and sleep peacefully in my hammock on the mtn.
Camping ok on Thursday night NO FIRES Please

Last edited:

VADHPROMO

Monkey
Dec 1, 2004
A, A
yea i know open doesnt count for anything, i just love the massanutten race course so why not run it twice :)
I like this response, The Race course should flow better than ever this weekend

I have had great helpers from snowmaking, Bill & Dru. Tim Cook volunteered his
time and tools pre & post ski season. Chop has helped me going on six years
and has checked off on the course preperation.

Bring all your friends and family to Massanutten. 1/2 price water Park vouchers
available for racers. We look forward to seeing all you monkeys.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
you cant race cat1 without having an cat1 license, you need to earn your cat1. X amount of top 5 races if im correct i forget off hand.
and this is the very reason that the UCI system blows baboon balls....a lot of CAT1 racers are forced to sandbag in CAT2 until they have enough races to move up. if a CAT2 racer is dusting the field by a huge margin then he/she needs to move up, regardless of the number of poriums they have.

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
you need to earn your cat1. X amount of top 5 races if im correct i forget off hand.
Not true, I applied for my license this year. I was only allowed to sign up for a Cat 2 license but I emailed usa cycling and told them of my results at SS over the past few years and they upgraded my license that day.

It still cost $60 but noone will be yelling sandbagger at me this year

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
Not true, I applied for my license this year. I was only allowed to sign up for a Cat 2 license but I emailed usa cycling and told them of my results at SS over the past few years and they upgraded my license that day.

It still cost $60 but noone will be yelling sandbagger at me this year
well there you go, you did a few races before hand. now if this was your first race ever you would not be granted a cat1 license... follow my drift?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Dennis is correct. You can always send a request for an upgrade but if you don't have the results to back it up your USAC rep isn't going to grant it.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Dennis is correct. You can always send a request for an upgrade but if you don't have the results to back it up your USAC rep isn't going to grant it.
True but some of the Reps are a little more lenient. A few years ago I e-mailed USAC requesting I be moved to Cat2 for XC despite having never done a single XC race. I told him I rode XC about 4-5 days a week, ran collegiate track, and didn't want to be labeled a sandbagger if I just happened to be good at XC. He upgraded me to Cat2 the same day and a week later I got 4th at my first XC race so I guess it was a good call, especially after seeing some of the guys in the 3s race. I would have definitely gotten things thrown at me if I was atop the podium for Cat3.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
One a very important note: What type of beer should I bring to Mass...I've been debating this all day long.