Quantcast

Marz super fly???

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
What do you think...if you had one in great condition...minus the leakage...would you rebuild it for XC?

It has the CNC crown, and I think it's around a '99 or '00.

I figured it would be about the lightest thing going unless I put some dough down on a new one.

Also...there isn't a way to push the 70mm up to 80 or 90 is there???

Thanks

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
All the old Marzocchi forks had air leakage problems.

Don't expect much when it comes to travel either. You can lower the travel but raising it impossible.

It might work for you, but most forks today are sub 3 lbs...

shiggy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2006
PDX
All the old Marzocchi forks had air leakage problems.

Don't expect much when it comes to travel either. You can lower the travel but raising it impossible.

Not all. My '01 X-Fly 100 has never leaked and is still going strong. I have changed the oil a few times and the seals once in 4+ years of hard use. The '00 X-Fly 80 I had for a couple of years never lost pressure either.

The Super Fly was a different design, though.

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
I know there are many sub 3 lbs forks but I also said i didn't want to spend much money. I can get a rebuild kit cheap since i already have the fork....but getting a new one is expensive

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I know there are many sub 3 lbs forks but I also said i didn't want to spend much money. I can get a rebuild kit cheap since i already have the fork....but getting a new one is expensive
Well, if you already have the fork and it just needs a cheap-ish rebuild then go for it. I would give it a definite no if you had to buy a new one. I haven't heard a whole lot of great things about the Super Fly but I remember thinking they were really cool when they came out.

How expensive is the rebuild? If it's a lot, look into a more recent used fork. I'm sure you can get something used or on online closeout at a good price. Maybe a Fox Float or Vanilla or a Marz Marathon, Atom 80 or something similar.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
If the price is right ($0 to $125) Id go for it!

I have alot of time on the Marzocchi SuperFly forks.
The 99' model that you speak of is really a great fork.

It did have some "air loss issues" but just monitor it and pump it up once a week to top it off. The fork is Light but it is also a pretty stout construction so it tracks great!

Not sure if you could bump up the travel on that model....I think its just straight up 70mm travel.

I also had alot of time on the 80mm XFLY air model (2000)
sick sick fork...no air loss issues ever.
I ran this fork for 4 seasons without any issues.
You might be able to locate one of these on ebay or somewhere.
they are surprisingly durable.

Both forks are super ass lightweight and ahead of their time as far as weight factor is concerned.
Honestly I dont think there are too many sub 3 lb. forks available today & if you do find one its gonna be damn expensive!

Buy that Supefly if the pricing is right.......!

irishman

Chimp
Apr 21, 2006
TN
Well, I'm lookin at a $40 rebuild kit or buying a new fork.

I like the super fly as it is soooo much stiffer than any other light (3 lb)fork i've tried and tracks well.

But since I got it, it has leaked air. I'm just wondering how long it would last on that new rebuild kit.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
I've owned a '99 Super Fly since it was new. A few years ago, the seals finally went and it started losing air... haven't had the time to get it rebuilt... I have had good experience with sending forks to Marzocchi to be rebuilt and I'll probably go that route again.

The Super Fly is a short travel fork by today's standards. 75mm max. This is fine for my '97 Indy Fab, but if you have a frame built with a modern fork in mind, you may need to look for at least an X-Fly with 80mm.

When it works, I really like it. I think I ran the pressure around 30 psi in each leg (I weighed about 170 lbs and also raced DH at the time). Just bare in mind it will never be as plush as a longer travel fork. Wasn't designed to be. I used the bike mainly for XC racing/training, so this was not a problem.

Also be sure to keep track of the funky, right-angle adapter for the air pump. It's basically impossbile to air up the fork without it.

The Super Fly was never offered with disc brake tabs and I don't think any other lower legs are compatible.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Both forks are super ass lightweight and ahead of their time as far as weight factor is concerned.
Honestly I dont think there are too many sub 3 lb. forks available today & if you do find one its gonna be damn expensive!
This has been my experience with trying to find a replacement for my Super Fly. Anything with similar travel (70-80mm) and weight (about 3 lbs even according to my digital scale), will cost a stupid amount of money... even for a used fork off Ebay.

FWIW, before I got the Super Fly, I ran a 1st gen. SID... scary-flexy compared to the Super Fly.... High-speed cornering was a "plant and pray" operation. Considering my FS-XC bike has a 180mm Boxxer (and my DH race bike at the time had either the Boxxer or a Monster T), I tend to be a tad sensitive to fork-flex. YMMV...

This has been my experience with trying to find a replacement for my Super Fly. Anything with similar travel (70-80mm) and weight (about 3 lbs even according to my digital scale), will cost a stupid amount of money... even for a used fork off Ebay.

FWIW, before I got the Super Fly, I ran a 1st gen. SID... scary-flexy compared to the Super Fly.... High-speed cornering was a "plant and pray" operation. Considering my FS-XC bike has a 180mm Boxxer (and my DH race bike at the time had either the Boxxer or a Monster T), I tend to be a tad sensitive to fork-flex. YMMV...
why would you use a 7" fork for XC?