Quantcast

Marz '07 66 Sl Ata worth the risk?

Bullit21

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Socal
After reading every post on here and mtbr (including Renegade's fix) and every mtbr review, it sounds like there is a high risk of having issues with this fork.

So 66 SL owners, is it worth the hassle? I have a bottlerocket that I use as primarily a trailbike with some shuttling and then Whistler and the Shore a couple of times a year. The lower weight and the true travel adjust feature is making me like the idea of this fork. I am currently running an '05 Z1 FR1 and weigh over 190lbs with gear on.

Mike.rider

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
renton, WA
its an awsome fork my good friend has one on her preston. sent it in to marzo and she hasent had an issue yet. If you are doing trail riding and light DH I would consider a Marzocchi 55 ata or a fox 36 talas. they will be lighter and still maintain the travel adjust.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
i run an 07 66slata on my ironhorse 6point6. i'm really happy with this fork. it feels good. the 08 66slata would be a good match for the bottlerocket, you could lower the height/travel to even out the travel.

what is "renegades fix" that you speak of? do you have a link?

Jun 21, 2007
Boston
i run an 07 66slata on my ironhorse 6point6. i'm really happy with this fork. it feels good. the 08 66slata would be a good match for the bottlerocket, you could lower the height/travel to even out the travel.

you ever think about converting your 6point6 to 6point7 (aka 7point light)?

sorry for hijacking.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Do a search for a thread vitox started on the 888 sl ata. It's an old thread that I bumped when I got one. Renegade drops the knowledge.

sriracha

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
you ever think about converting your 6point6 to 6point7 (aka 7point light)?

sorry for hijacking.
i do consider the 6point7 quite often.

i've got an 8.75x2.75 roco on my v10. i think about swaping rear shocks all the time. part of that swap would include bolting the 8.75x2.5 DHXair5.0 (that was supplied on my 6point frame) onto my v10 and turning it into a "V9 light".

however, swapping bushings has been a deturant for me...i'm buisy AND lazy, a deadly combination.

vinnycactus

Monkey
May 27, 2004
Matthews, NC
i have a 2007 AM SL1. Fork has gone back to Marzocchi 5 times due to issues with the PAR/ATA. They are sending me a 2008 55 ETA at no charge for my troubles. From all I've been through, and all the research I've done, anything with 07 PAR/ATA seems to be really hit or miss.

**** it. roll the dice.

Renegade

Monkey
Sep 6, 2001
There are two "fixes" that I wrote up. One is for fixing ATA auto windown:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=339566

The other is for those folks who can't get the last inch or so of travel out of their SL fork. You can remove the PAR piston:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3195344&postcount=350

Kidwoo removed the PAR piston from his 888sl.
I have performed both of these operations on my own fork. Since that original post, I have also down the ata auto wind down fix to an 888sl.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
There are two "fixes" that I wrote up. One is for fixing ATA auto windown:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=339566

The other is for those folks who can't get the last inch or so of travel out of their SL fork. You can remove the PAR piston:
http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?p=3195344&postcount=350

Kidwoo removed the PAR piston from his 888sl.
I have performed both of these operations on my own fork. Since that original post, I have also down the ata auto wind down fix to an 888sl.
Thanks for posting those. I think I may try that PAR piston fix when I get the time. The wind down is annoying, but putting a piece of wire around the adjuster seems to have fixed it, albeit in a ghetto/ugly way.

In all, I am reasonably happy with my 66sl, and I bet that the new version has fixed the issues most have now, seeing as Marz can fix these issues. I have not found it to be as smooth as my previous fork (Shiver), but the adjustability and weight are nice. It can be hard to get the fork dialed, but it seems like the PAR fix would solve the biggest issue I have with mine (travel wind down is annoying, but not a deal-breaker...I also had issues with the top cap, but I fixed it myself with some epoxy.) Maybe I'm just rationalizing because I spent a bunch of money on this thing and I don't want to sell it or get another fork, but it does feel good when set up well.

Sep 1, 2007
16 powers st BKLN NY
Ultimately all the issues are resolvable. If you're willing to totally ignore Marzocchi's setup guidelines and tinker with settings everytime you go for a ride, you'll eventually find the sweet spot, but it's definitely not ready to rock your world from the box.