Quantcast

Maribor - Bike Park Pohorje Gondola Collapses

FarkinRyan

Monkey
Dec 15, 2003
Pemberton, BC
Stolen from Dirtmag...

So, if you've been to Maribor you've no doubt ridden the red gondola, almost certainly commented on its very visible dodginess and maybe even had a quiet, nervous chuckle about what might go wrong.

Looks like it went wrong. Very very wrong. Happened nearly 3 weeks ago but word seems to only just have gotten out to the wider biking community.

Check it out at dirtmag with pictures and video and everything. Kinda scary :shocked:

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
One of the many assumed risks we take for what we like to do the most. I catch myself trying to configure a plan in case the lift I'm on falls...not an easy thing to do since I have no idea what would REALLY happen if it were to take place. Humbling stuff.

numerik

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
From Dirtmag:
15 injuries but no casualties! It doesn't suprise me that this as happened as the sloveniens are very laidback people who don't seem to care about health and safety, Which was a bit of a worry for the rest of the holiday in Slovenia..

What an asshole! For sure we are not laidback, and compared to some other nations we do care for health and safety (Health? Brits, check your bad teeth...). Don't know where he got info, that 15 people were injured...there were only 2 in a gondola with a couple of bruises. They are OK. This things happen...remember last years "modern" gondola collaps in Whistler?
However, Pohorje will get a new gondola system in a year or two.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I enjoyed that gondola, it's SO high at one point, I seem to remember calculating/estimating (hey I was sat in it by myself bored!) that it was over 500m between towers and over 100m up at one point?