Quantcast

Manitou Gold Label Jump Series: yay or nay?

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I have an offer for a good shape QR Gold Label Jump Series (I think Jump Series 2 is the t-axle version) for $85. I just need a decent fork, but nothing fancy as I ride mostly street and prefer rigid..Any thoughts or am I just throwing my $$ away since this is a 2006 fork? Thanks monkeys!

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
Ha, well, not doing a lot of footjamming these days. Just wanted plush for messing around, which isn't going to break on me. Wasn't sure if Gold Labels were unserviceable after a certain number of years

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
I snapped the crown on my 80mm gold label series 2 w/ 20mm axle that was a 2006 after only a month of so or dirt jumping on it. I hated Manitou forks before that and have steered clear of their stuff ever since then too.. I couldnt recommend that fork especially from the same model year as the one i broke.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Whatever. Those forks rock. Never had a single problem other than a stripped brake mount that was my fault for using a longer bolt. I've had two of them and they're both going strong on friend's bikes. $85 is a sweet deal.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i've had the 2008 manitou gold label dirt jump series II on my mob for a while now with zero problems.

it is excellent for dirt jump, pump track, bmx track. perfect blend of responsiveness with cush. doesn't mush like RST Space, no harsh top out like low-end Marz Dirt Jam and DJ3, etc.

however, i'd say it's not as good for xc trail riding because it doesn't "float" over small bumps (due to being stiff spring on both sides) the way some forks do.

Gold Label Jump series 2

Category: High End 32mm Street and Dirt Jumping
Travel: 80mm or 100mm
Wt. Lbs: 4.6
Wt. Grams: 2086.1
Spring: X-Firm Coil Spring
Steerer: 1 1/8th High-strength steel
Damping: FFD with rebound adjust
Adjustments: Rebound
Stanchions: 32mm Gold Al
Casting: One piece Reverse Arch (RA) Magnesium
Axle: 20mm Hex Lock Thru Axle
Crown: Hollow Aluminum
Lubrication: Semi Bath with Evil Genius Seals
Wheel Size: 26
Disc Mounts: Post
Disc Size Size: 210 Max
No Boss Option: Only
Ride Height (mm) : 460, 480
Color: Disco Gold
Notes: Grind bolt on spring leg

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Good forks, easy to work on. Definitely not on the "plush" side of things though.
I always set mine up as stiff as I could get them.

TortugaTonta

Monkey
Aug 27, 2008
I wish I bought 2 when jensen had them on blow out a couple years ago.

Good stuff other than the mustard color.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I have the green QR version and I like it a lot. I don't have experience with breakage etc. and I don't ride it as rough as some do, but I like the fork, for 85 bucks thats a steal!

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Just sayin, the 06 model is likely nothing like the 08 or newer models of the fork. It was brand new for 06 and they have likely worked out many of the issues encountered with new products.. My experience with the very same fork (just 20mm axle version) was very poor..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just sayin, the 06 model is likely nothing like the 08 or newer models of the fork. It was brand new for 06 and they have likely worked out many of the issues encountered with new products.. My experience with the very same fork (just 20mm axle version) was very poor..
By the time the gold labels came out, they had already had like 4 years of shermans on the market, which used the exact same lowers and casting.

Either you had a bum casting or did something odd to it. I've watched these things tumble riderless, and put up with getting cased and overshot by dudes over 200lbs on a fairly regular basis. I beat the shlt out of one for 4 years........and it was a first year gold label.

You didn't try a foot jam with golf spikes did you? ;)

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
By the time the gold labels came out, they had already had like 4 years of shermans on the market, which used the exact same lowers and casting.

Either you had a bum casting or did something odd to it. I've watched these things tumble riderless, and put up with getting cased and overshot by dudes over 200lbs on a fairly regular basis. I beat the shlt out of one for 4 years........and it was a first year gold label.

You didn't try a foot jam with golf spikes did you? ;)
LOL FK! you caught me woo.. Very possible I just had a bad casting like you said but it never saw any impacts that would have caused it to fail like it did. Just one mans opinion :)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It sucks yours failed. It's just seems odd to make the claim that all forks sold of that year or whatever will fail, just because you have one example. Because they don't. I pounded on one forever, and a second one I bought used with no problems. And I bought it from that dude dexter who used to post here. He tried all kinds of stupid shlt :D

Plus I see two of them almost every time I go ride, sometimes three if the sketchy dude shows up ;)

Either way....85 bucks......the OP better buy it or I will on principle.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
It sucks yours failed. It's just seems odd to make the claim that all forks sold of that year or whatever will fail, just because you have one example. Because they don't. I pounded on one forever, and a second one I bought used with no problems. And I bought it from that dude dexter who used to post here. He tried all kinds of stupid shlt :D

Plus I see two of them almost every time I go ride, sometimes three if the sketchy dude shows up ;)

Fair enough, not every person buying any given product will have a great experience with it. Just thought I remembered other guys that bought gold labels when i did whose forks suffered a similar fate.

But yea, for $85 i guess you can't go wrong. I'll stick with my marz forks tho :p

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
Marzocchi sucks! The one that came on my STP broke before I'd ridden it for a month!
Proof that they all suck!
^^^
Sarcasm....

The first part is true though.

MIDigger

Chimp
Feb 23, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
Marzocchi sucks! The one that came on my STP broke before I'd ridden it for a month!
Proof that they all suck!
^^^
Sarcasm....

The first part is true though.
:rofl: I had forgotten how fun this board was. I have been pwnd by two living trails legends now lol. I shall keep my thoughts to myself and my head down on my desk during recess :bad: :headbang:

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Any working fork for 85 is a deal, i dont happen agree with the choice, but with that price, how could you not buy it

crashwins

Monkey
Nov 4, 2009
I'm buying...Glad for such a spirited debate on this..Really helped. Now the guy is getting cold feet on selling it. I figure for $85 I can't go wrong...Or could I :)

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
One thing you might want to check, is how solidly the crown is still attached to the steer tube.
This is the weak spot on those forks, at least for me. I've had several of them, and the ones I used constantly all eventually loosened up in this area, and started creaking.
Part of it may be that I do use my front brake a lot, doing squeakers and other stuff....
They are pretty solid forks though, and hold up well.

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good

What in the HELL is going on in your avatar?