Quantcast

Making 8" rotor fit an older Bullit ?

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
My 2001 Bullit only fits a 6" rear rotor. I have heard that a dent in the right place will allow an 8 to work. Anyone actually do this mod ? Thanx

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Just buy a 8inch adaptor. Ohh I think I see what ya mean. The rear triangle doesn't have enough space to compensate for a 8inch rotor. What ever you do, dont dent your rear triangle. A dent in that area could cause frame failure, and no-one wants that. Just buy a better rear brake, like a Juicy 7 and you will have enough stopping power in the rear.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Just buy a 8inch adaptor. Ohh I think I see what ya mean. The rear triangle doesn't have enough space to compensate for a 8inch rotor. What ever you do, dont dent your rear triangle. A dent in that area could cause frame failure, and no-one wants that. Just buy a better rear brake, like a Juicy 7 and you will have enough stopping power in the rear.
You might try a new rear triangle. Ask SC about it, although I would not spend $250 for 2 more inches of rotor.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
My rear brake is a 6" Hayes Mag which provides enough stopping for the rear. Problem is I have a Therapy Components Floating brake that only works w/ an 8" rotor. I have called SC and swingarms are available, I thought if someone clearanced their swingarm w/ good results I could save some $. Thanx

noskcaj

Monkey
Oct 24, 2005
Northford, CT
im running a 6" rotor on my bullit even though it can take an 8. Im also running 4 piston XT brakes. But i figure if it has enough power to lock up the rear tire why do i need the extra weight of an 8" rotor. I know they disipate heat better, but im a light weight and havnt had any problems. Keen, what color is your bike? Perhaps we can work out a trade of some sort.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Could you get an Avid 185mm rotor to fit? Use an Avid adapter with your hayes caliper and you're set.
I have dented the stays on many steel bikes but I would be a bit scared to do it on a heat treated aluminum bike. Those alum tubes are much more ductile when they are worked.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
im running a 6" rotor on my bullit even though it can take an 8. Im also running 4 piston XT brakes. But i figure if it has enough power to lock up the rear tire why do i need the extra weight of an 8" rotor. I know they disipate heat better, but im a light weight and havnt had any problems. Keen, what color is your bike? Perhaps we can work out a trade of some sort.
PM sent...

eknomf

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Nanaimo, BC
If you are going to buy a rear triangle anyways you might as well try and dent your old one first to see if you can get it to work. Just be reasonable and don't dent it halfway through the tube or anything The worst thing that could happen is you will break it and have to buy a new one like you were already planning to do.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Try a Shimano Saint rear brake with 6 inch rotor if stopping power is your concern.
I have a strong feeling that a 6 inch Saint rear would be all that you would need out there.
Plus, its a wise investment too.
Its good to have a strong brake in the family.

keen

Monkey
Mar 30, 2003
Peoples this isn't a stopping power issue. In order to run a floater I have to run an 8" rotor. The Floater bracket only allows for a 74mm caliper mount.

peachy

Monkey
Jan 17, 2005
vancouver,bc
^^ in that case, don't do it. i don't think u can dent it yourself safely and still have the rear triangle still aligned in the end.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
heck the 6 inch barely fits back there!
i remember i had a mark on my swingarm where the 6 would touch.
why do you want a floater anyway? brake jack is fun.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
because for 1 you cant even run the required rotor size, and it just over complicates the bullit. The beauty of that bike is the simplicity. Now you are talking about spending $250 + on a swing arm and whatever the Floater costs as well (not even figuring in whatever else you will need). This all said a pretty old frame, sell the frame save the green and get a frame that doesnt brake jack if that is what you are after. I just never understand when ppl spend a ton to fix something up that is old and will be on mtbr in a few months...

Just my opinon, do what you need to.