Quantcast

Magura fork quality?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Looking for a 120-160ish fork. Local guy has a magura that is travel adjustable in that range. Not sure on exact specs. Its a newer fork. Anyone running one? What do you think of it?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
not sure if they've improved their new stuff, but their early gen stuff was so bad it makes manitou look like a gleaming pinnacle of reliability.

tabletop84

Monkey
Nov 12, 2011
I never ridden a magura fork but their absence even in germany is explained by harshness/stickiness and damping not being on par with it's competitors. At least that's what I read.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I owned a Magura Wotan a few years back, which sounds like the model you're talking about (160/120 adjustable travel). Great-looking fork, stiff and the damping was terrible. I had it apart a bunch of times and could never get it to feel right.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I never ridden a magura fork but their absence even in germany is explained by harshness/stickiness and damping not being on par with it's competitors. At least that's what I read.
A few friends had wotans and claim the damping was great WHEN IT WORKED which as Jon claimed had a smaller chance of happening than you finding a sober Lindsey Lohan in a church.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I still have an 07 Wotan and yeah a touch sticky and the low speed damping was a bit weird but it still the best/most reliable fork I've ever owned however it is finally due for new internal seals.

I think the newer ones are still grease only for lubricant so service intervals are probably different(used to be yearly) and the maximum axle size now is 15mm and their biggest fork is now the TS8 R 150, seems they all have crap names-

http://www.magura.com/en/bicyclecomp/products/suspension-forks/ts8-r-150-lift-select-26/technik.html

They all look pretty much the same-

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
i've been running a thor (2012, 150mm, no travel adjust) for a couple seasons, and it's been solid. light, decently stiff, effective damper & air spring, and reliable. it's a rockshox-esque semi-bath oil lubed design. i've only had to pull it apart to clean / lube once so far. seals have held up fine (though are now starting to weep a little; probably time to swap). no complaints, really.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
thanks guys.

I'd prefer to stick with a fox or rock shox simply for parts availability and more "knowledge/experience" both with myself and others locally in case I do run into a problem.

dbozman

Monkey
May 11, 2008
Scottsdale, AZ
I will say, at least a couple years back, Magura USA's customer service was quite good. I actually had a tech on the phone with me the first time I took my Wotan apart.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
I've gotten to try two Magura forks, and they were both completely terrible. They leaked, blew seals, they blew through their travel, the damping barely worked, and more air pressure you added just made it harder to bottom rather than make the spring stiffer. I honestly to this day have no idea how they released these forks to the market.

RockShox, Fox, or X Fusion.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I've gotten to try two Magura forks, and they were both completely terrible. They leaked, blew seals, they blew through their travel, the damping barely worked, and more air pressure you added just made it harder to bottom rather than make the spring stiffer. I honestly to this day have no idea how they released these forks to the market.
:rofl: