Quantcast

Mac droolage... *pRon*

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
We got a new Quad core G-5 PowerMac at work yesterday with dual 20"'s.

This thing is frikkin sweet & SCREAMS!

I haven't really gotten to put her through the rigors but she rendered out some pretty swift RAM previews.

We got CS2, Macro Media Studio8 & After Effects 6.5 (7 coming soon) & we are getting the latest version of Maya soon.

I got to use PS CS2 for the first time & its too early to tell how it is. One thing that pissed me off though was that there is no "copy as layer" function or at least that I could find. Please clue me in if I am missing it.

I love the Lens Blur Filter though.

Power.

Under the hood.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
Hot damn.
What I would give to use Adobe Premiere Pro with that setup. I've got the bare bone essentials on my pc and Adobe kills it. Very nice.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
As far as I know Adobe doesn't make a version of Premiere Pro for Mac.

FCP is where it's at. ;)

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Jesbus... I have half of what you have and I thought it was fast... how many fans are in that biach? That monitor setup is nice... I wish my company would spring for some new monitors for me... the Electron blues are nice and accurate but those flatscreens are sexy as a mofo.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
HRDTLBRO said:
Hot damn.
What I would give to use Adobe Premiere Pro with that setup. I've got the bare bone essentials on my pc and Adobe kills it. Very nice.
Just upgrade your motherboard to a $100 socket 939 motherboard and get nearly the same speed (3 seconds slower) for a few thousand less with an Athlon 64 X2 4400 2.2GHz dual core CPU (BTW, available 6 months before the dual core G5). Even better would be a Opteron dual to sixteen core workstation - a identically spec'd Quad Core Opteron workstation cost about $500 less than the G5 QC and easily outperforms it). The infamous photoshop test:

Or you could just wait until later this year when the Mac Pro desktop comes out with Intel Conroe 64-bit desktop dual core CPU and get similiar performance for much less ;)

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
golgiaparatus said:
Jesbus... I have half of what you have and I thought it was fast... how many fans are in that biach?
I think it has a Trane or a Carrier.... :think:

;)

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
Transcend said:
Do you have to sh1t on every single thread? Seriously, you are as lame as Jm with his rockshox drivel. No one really cares what you think anymore on this matter.
:stupid:

And I thought I was bad...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Transcend said:
Do you have to sh1t on every single thread? Seriously, you are as lame as Jm with his rockshox drivel. No one really cares what you think anymore on this matter.
Its nice, but the reality is that its not that fast and its pretty expensive. Jobs has said at 2 separate Mac Expo's now that the G5s can't cut the mustard. The Apple supercomputing marketing was and is BS.

I almost got a G5 DC, but then I thought about the reality of the G5 - its real-world performance, product lifecycle, and its insane cooling system. Instead got a DC Athlon 64 (running at 2.4 GHz) and a mac mini to hold me until the 2nd or 3rd generation Intel Macs...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
TN said:
He has a small penis. :D
That applies to those people who spend thousand more than they need to get a fancy case, dual displays, expensive software packages, etc and yet don't know how to use it :D

TN said:
I got to use PS CS2 for the first time & its too early to tell how it is. One thing that pissed me off though was that there is no "copy as layer" function or at least that I could find. Please clue me in if I am missing it.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:
That applies to those people who spend thousand more than they need to get a fancy case, dual displays, expensive software packages, etc and yet don't know how to use it :D
Same can be said for anyone not driving a prius or civic hybrid. they get better gas mileage, last a ton longer then american cars and aren't totally ugly.

Yet people still commute in denalis.

Bottom line: Mac OS doesn't run nicely or legally on pc hardware. Mac OS is a better operating season. You have to pay to play. Some people actually like to pay for quality and user experience.

end of story.

TN

Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
syadasti said:
Hey! I get paid to not know how to use that overpriced heap & Fox News paid for it! :blah:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Transcend said:
Bottom line: Mac OS doesn't run nicely or legally on pc hardware.
Ubuntu and Suse do though and work nearly as well. Besides if he wants to use photoshop it runs faster on cheaper hardware, regardless of the fact its on Windows...

justsomeguy

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
Transcend said:
Same can be said for anyone not driving a prius or civic hybrid. they get better gas mileage, last a ton longer then american cars and aren't totally ugly.

Yet people still commute in denalis.
Does your irritated vagina cause you to make up silly analogies or are the two problems unrelated?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You can try out Ubuntu on Intel, AMD, or PowerPC computers, just goto the download section and look for the live CD ISO to burn a copy:

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/

Ubuntu is easy enough for your grandmother to use it and its product support lifecycles are nearly as long as commercial ones.

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Transcend said:
Mac OS is a better operating season.
I wasn't aware that apple had a season ;)

to syadasti:

I agree with Transcend for the most part. The PC has nothing on an Apple as far as graphic power, and video applications. Maybe they are using FinalCut or Aperture and need the mac. Not to mention the Apples run a lot smoother than any PC I have ever used. I own both a mac and a PC and can say that since I got the mac a few years ago I have almost never used the PC for anything but games.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
bballe336 said:
I wasn't aware that apple had a season ;)

to syadasti:

I agree with Transcend for the most part. The PC has nothing on an Apple as far as graphic power, and video applications. Maybe they are using FinalCut or Aperture and need the mac. Not to mention the Apples run a lot smoother than any PC I have ever used. I own both a mac and a PC and can say that since I got the mac a few years ago I have almost never used the PC for anything but games.
Never post on sinus infection fighting drugs. :cool:

I only use my PC for checking web work in IE or playing a few games.

Aperture: shudder. Way to blow that one, Apple.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
TN said:
This machine is for motion graphics. It's use is not primarily PS.
No difference, here is a lucky fellow from the CG Society of Digital Artists who owns an older dual CPU Opteron (Circa 2004 CPU) workstation and a brand new Quadcore G5 to play around with in SPEC Viewperf, Cinebench, and Maya.

Conclusion:

enygma at cgsociety.org said:
Processing wise. OpenGL performance wise, the PC is still at this time... far superior (especially in DCC applications).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
bballe336 said:
Except in the real world PowerPC macs are slower and the benchmarks and Apple current conversion to Intel reflects this.

You can run Linux or FreeBSD on PC and have an OS with a more optimized technically superior kernel than Windows or OSX....

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
syadasti said:
Except in the real world PowerPC macs are slower and the benchmarks and Apple current conversion to Intel reflects this.

You can run Linux or FreeBSD on PC and have an OS with a more optimized technically superior kernel than Windows or OSX....

This whole argument is retarded.

DESIGNERS/ARTISTS really dig DESIGN and ASTHETICS. The Mac plays to this, both in design appeal and the way it functions as an OS.

PC's are faster and cheaper, but not so friendly.

WHO CARES.

If you have a computer, do your work, then shut up.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
syadasti said:

Ya, because every computer owner want sto deal with BSD or Linux on a daily basis. Seriously, get over yourself.

edit: what h8r said.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
H8R said:
This whole argument is retarded.

If you have a computer, do your work, then shut up.
What are these forums for?

It is retarded, but it kills time and its an easy troll, you get bites everytime :D

You get people asking about is X better than Y all the time on here. Or look what group X is doing, aren't we (group Y) so much better than them, look at them, haha...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
BTW I use PC's and i even build them myself, but if I had the $$ and I was heavier into design, I'd get a Mac ALSO.

In the meantime - GIMP, NVU, Halo, Photoshop, etc. run fine on Windows.

I even use it for Firefox and Thunderbird!!!

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
syadasti said:
You get people asking about is X better than Y all the time on here. Or look what group X is doing, aren't we (group Y) so much better than them, look at them, haha...
I'm not in group Y, I'm in group SFTU.

:blah:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
H8R said:
BTW I use PC's and i even build them myself, but if I had the $$ and I was heavier into design, I'd get a Mac ALSO.
Just get a Mac Mini to play around with.

I got a Mac Mini (with additional 1GB stick and 7200RPM HDD upgrades - sold the stock stuff brand new on ebay) and USB2 switch with a dual input monitor.

Lately I've been lazy and am just using VNC client/server to use the Mac as I don't often need the peripherals on the USB2 switch, print via SMB sharing wirelessly, and I can switch between platforms instantaneously.

All I know about the whole Apple/Windows debate is my old g4 1ghz Mac I use for Video editing at home does its job well, I can spend hours editing and doing effects without a hiccup. Now my PC at work which is a 3.2ghz P4 with 2 gig of ram is my GIS machine and it craps out atleast 4-6 times a day when Im working. So you can say whatever you want about benchmarks and actual speed but when it comes down to doing the job the machine is asked to I can be alot more productive on my Mac.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
TN said:
We got a new Quad core G-5 PowerMac at work yesterday with dual 20"'s.

This thing is frikkin sweet & SCREAMS!

I haven't really gotten to put her through the rigors but she rendered out some pretty swift RAM previews.

We got CS2, Macro Media Studio8 & After Effects 6.5 (7 coming soon) & we are getting the latest version of Maya soon.

Power.

Under the hood.
Those duel 20' monitors are bitchen if you do alot of photoshoping. The ability to throw a 8megapixel image on the screen at nearly full size is unbeleivably usefull

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Well you have to use the same software to compare. Your GIS software obviously isn't written very well.

Most PCs I've used with Win2K or higher never crash on the OS level - the only thing I have problems with is a crappy application that bombs out (which happens on any OS).

As far as this machine I built this month, I usually use at least 7 or more different apps at the same time. Firefox has crashed once and frozen up once or twice when trying to load a third party plug-in on a site (which has happened on my mini too). I never reboot match unless a hardware/software change requires it, I just sleep the machine at night.

On the CG end, the PC is far more optimized according to the fellow who owns one PC and two Macs at cgsociety.org (see above) - and that is current data, they even talk about 10.4.4 at the end.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
nice setup :thumb: . and running a pc with bsd is for those who think the gimp is on par with photoshop.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Toshi said:
nice setup :thumb: . and running a pc with bsd is for those who think the gimp is on par with photoshop.

Price to performance wise GIMP kicks the flyin' f&ck out of any graphics app.