Quantcast

Lowering the bar... anyone flip their riser bars upside down?

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
I flippped the 1" riser bars upside down on my DH bike....puts them at about 38" high with a 888 and integrated stem. The difference is positively surprising.
Worth a try for those wanting lower bars.
Makes the front of the bike look like a Muskox :)

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
No joke. I got the idea after flipping the bars on my singlespeed cruiser a few weeks ago. Feels like I have much more control over the front wheel... especially going through tight fast turns. Makes for a more aggressive attack position. Fork/wheel feels like an extension of my arms. Puts the bars in a good position for high-power, stand up pedaling.
Long and low. so far so good.

seismic

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2003
South East Asia
I flippped the 1" riser bars upside down on my DH bike....puts them at about 38" high with a 888 and integrated stem. The difference is positively surprising.
Worth a try for those wanting lower bars.
Makes the front of the bike look like a Muskox :)
This may be one of the pop-up "trends" people are going to laugh at big time in a year or two.........

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
i think some old tomac branded bars had down sweep to them, those might be good for this sort of stuff

in the mean time id stick to putting the stem under the top crown or flipping it instead of the bars

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
This may be one of the pop-up "trends" people are going to laugh at big time in a year or two.........
hm, no. i'm laughing right now.

bars don't just have a rise to them, they also have a sweep back/up to them... flipping that is just stupid.

WhiteRavenKS

Turbo Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
neither here nor there
just run roadie drop bars and grow a pair of balls.

getting your bars low because some pros are doing it is stupid. i think it would be cool if people rode their bikes more because pros were though. that would be nice.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
hm, no. i'm laughing right now.

bars don't just have a rise to them, they also have a sweep back/up to them... flipping that is just stupid.
I'm certainly not advocating the practice, but if you flip them "end-to-end" so to speak, you get the downward rise and the sweep is still back towards the rider, as it's meant to be.

I've see a couple of dudes ripping up Highland Mountain in NH like this. Doubt I'd ever try it, but don't just write it off as 'stupid'.

--JP

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Arn't bars ment to take stress from a certain angle? Flipping them would make them more prone to bending or snapping. I don't know if that is right or not.
Much of the time, yes. It's stupid not because of the way you like it, it's stupid because you're putting the bars at a high risk of failing.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
i wanna see pics because it seems like it would feel goofy no matter what
Believe me, it looks weird. But the guys I've seen doing it are charging some huge jumps and generally going a hell of a lot bigger than I do, so who am I to judge? Whatever works for them is cool with me.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Maybe someone will take the hint and make sport-bike clip-ons in boxxer stancion diameter? Haha.

----------------------------------------------------------------

TheLoneRider

Chimp
Aug 24, 2007
Ellicott City, MD
This just seems dumb because leaning farther forward would make you more prone to going over the handle bars when descending. The idea of riser bars is to get you up and back so that you don't go over the bars. Typically a DH bar has a 1.5-2" rise and a cross bar has a 0-1" rise.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Seems like a good idea to me. Someone should make a neg-rise bar with up/backsweep. Downsweep on a DH bike would be scary.

Pbody

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
This just seems dumb because leaning farther forward would make you more prone to going over the handle bars when descending. The idea of riser bars is to get you up and back so that you don't go over the bars. Typically a DH bar has a 1.5-2" rise and a cross bar has a 0-1" rise.
I was going to say the same thing. I'd like someone to go down the Mt. Snow course with their bars upside down. Ha! How 'bout Champeray! HaHa!

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I was going to say the same thing. I'd like someone to go down the Mt. Snow course with their bars upside down. Ha! How 'bout Champeray! HaHa!

:rolleyes: The guy in the picture I posted (Donnie) HAS gone down the Mt. Snow course. 95% of DH racers out there these days like to keep their front ends as low as possible for various reasons. Why do you think fork manufacturers are trying to keep A-C heights on DC forks as low as possible, people are going to flat crowns, integrated stems and low-rise (and sometimes flat) bars? If you're worried about going over the bars with a 2" rise bar, I would say rise is the least of your worries.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
:rolleyes: The guy in the picture I posted (Donnie) HAS gone down the Mt. Snow course. 95% of DH racers out there these days like to keep their front ends as low as possible for various reasons. Why do you think fork manufacturers are trying to keep A-C heights on DC forks as low as possible, people are going to flat crowns, integrated stems and low-rise (and sometimes flat) bars? If you're worried about going over the bars with a 2" rise bar, I would say rise is the least of your worries.
Exactly what I was going to say.

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Lowering the bar height doesn't necessarily make you lean further forward, or more prone to going over the bars. a longer stem, perhaps, would put you further forward than is ideal. However, if you're riding a bike that, say...Bender would build, with a 18" BB height and 12" of rear travel, yeah, you're suckin rock. But getting the entire bike, and your COG lower is a good thing.
Besides, imagine yourself in your "tucked" position. You've got your nuts behind the seat, belly on it, but your arms are still up above everything with no direct force on the bars, like Ape Hangers on a chopper. You're a sail boat.
I don't like the flipped bars idea at all, and the picture of the old dude on the moto with his teeth right above the crown is why. That's one of the reasons I switched to a SC, lower front end, but that was RIGHT before flat crowns popped up. But my 66 is still lower than an 888 with flats, and if need be(which I don't) I could always opt for a no rise stem and a flat bar.

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
ya, I flipped them end to end, not rotated so the bends are forwards.
Took a few minutes to set the angle, but they still have the same back sweep. grip section is close to horizontal.
Doesn't feel weird at all. Makes me feel like I could go faster.
I always thought being positioned way back and upright was the way to go. Maybe for freeriding, but this seems to work well on a dh bike.
I sorta compare it to skiing... skis aren't going to handle or turn properly either with all the weight on the back.
I'll try to get a few pics later...

tsamps

Chimp
May 6, 2007
I tried flipping my bars because i saw donnie's (the guy in the picture) and thought, maybe that would work. I didnt like it that low, but it still works the same and is plenty safe. In fact, donnie flips his bars and they are carbon, and hes a semi pro.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Much of the time, yes. It's stupid not because of the way you like it, it's stupid because you're putting the bars at a high risk of failing.
Do you have the FEA to prove it? I'm not doubting that bars are designed to be run right-side up but I'm not sure that running one upside down would make the risk of failing that much higher.

If you want a lower front end why not just go back to a 6" Super T?

bigwheel

Monkey
May 24, 2004
Canada
funny...ya, good idea with the spacers :) I'm going to lower it even more now... I thought the crowns had to be that way according to Marz's specs. I guess not, good to know.
I normally have a 66 with upsideright bars on this bike... put the upside down bars on just to see...

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I tried flipping my bars because i saw donnie's (the guy in the picture) and thought, maybe that would work. I didnt like it that low, but it still works the same and is plenty safe. In fact, donnie flips his bars and they are carbon, and hes a semi pro.

I have heard it all; flipped carbon bars.

Bars are designed to take more force from certain directions, especially carbon.