Quantcast

Lower back pain

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Experienced some lower back pain while riding over the weekend. Nothing serious but enough to be annoying.

I'm not going to get fitted for a new bike or anything like that, but has anyone had lower back pain and made some kind of small adjustments to the bike, or self, that made you feel better?

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Lower back pain can be caused by inadequate core strength. So you can either work on that, or go with a more upright position (a la jon's suggestion).

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I forgot about the strength issue.

In addition to a shorter stem, you can try a stem with an increased amount of rise, or put more spacers under your stem (if you have enough steerer tube to do so).

I've also noticed that I get pains with handlebars that are too narrow, but that's more in my shoulders than lower back.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I get a little bit of lower back pain on long rides. I'm actually surprised i don't get more. I'm starting to get a gunt.

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
Well I've already got spacers and running a wide riser bar. I'm probably just weak as mentioned above, so I should work on that for sure. And it's deff muscle pain, so I know it's not a major problem with my back or anything.

shorty13

Chimp
Aug 21, 2008
I used to get lower back pain all the time, after every ride. After a while, it stopped though as I rode more and more often. Your body may just has to get used to working in that position and your muscles may have to strengthen in specific areas as you use them differently.

Willy Vanilly

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
San Jose
I've definitely had the same issues before and like it has been said: ride more or work on your core strength. I have found that doing sit ups/crunches actually helps a lot.

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
seated pedaling with a big gear using lots of hamstring will cause lower back pain

too much reach between saddle and handlebar will cause lower back pain

those are the two causes I'm familiar with from personal experience

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You may actually be too upright and short in the reach department, a position that is longer and rotated farther forward will force you to recruit more of your core muscles...

I have a few herniated discs and spend too much time sitting around at the welding table or on the computer, and I cheat my bad back by putting myself in a position that forces core recruitment... The challenge is getting the pedaling kinematics and the weight distribution for handling properly balanced...

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I disagree, based on this article (amongst others) and personal experience.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/stuff_you_should_be_doing_but_arent&cr=

Page 3, Item #4.
I recall a study that showed the single biggest predictor of lower back pain was the amount of time that the participants could hold themselves horizontal while restrained at the hips (more or less a plank). The role of the core is to stabilize, not to create motion, so your training should reflect this.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Rise and churn out of the saddle more. It will build your core strength and give your lower back a reprieve at the same time.

miatagal96

Chimp
Feb 7, 2007
Definitely try core strengthening. It helps a lot of people but unfortunately it didn't make much of a difference to me. I think it's because I wasn't using my core strength when I was riding. What good are strong stomach muscles if you don't use them.

What made the biggest difference to me was adjusting my riding posture. When I keep my back straight during climbing (seated or standing), my lower back is a lot happier. When my lower back is rounded (my natural position so it's hard to break the habit), it gives me problems and starts aching. I notice also that when my back is straight my abs are much more engaged. When my lower back is rounded, my abs aren't engaged as much.

I have to pay extra attention to posture on my single-speed bike as out-of-the-saddle hammering up a hill with bad posture is the quickest way to lower back pain. My back is much more tolerant of my dual suspension bike. The gears and the suspension both make a difference as my geared hard tail is in the middle of the other two bikes in terms of causing lower back pain.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
The gears and the suspension both make a difference as my geared hard tail is in the middle of the other two bikes in terms of causing lower back pain.
He makes a good point...if you are riding rough trails on a hardtail (or fully rigid) it will fatigue your body a lot faster than a FS bike. Otherwise doing core workouts has always helped me avoid the back pain.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
My back was sore for about 3 years. I was in a bad motorcycle wreck. Now I do core/back exercises on the ball. Now I rarely get lower back pain. My riding actually stepped up because of it too.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I recall a study that showed the single biggest predictor of lower back pain was the amount of time that the participants could hold themselves horizontal while restrained at the hips (more or less a plank). The role of the core is to stabilize, not to create motion, so your training should reflect this.
Sounds similar to my Chiro/PTs advice. I had some sacroiliac problems that manifested in debilitating pain in my lower back. I have several exercises that I do (probably not as regularly as I should) and after some work I feel 100% better. Core strength is so important!!!

ojaiDH

Chimp
Jun 20, 2009
dream land
as I got older I started to notice alot of lower backpain, after I sliped a disc in my back I found riding my beloved hardtail impossable. Soluation? S-works enduro :) now its all good.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
is there/are there any good core routines y'all can suggest?

I havent done anything consistent since popping a disc on a giant snowboard jump and the corresponding P/T -- Im having tightness and achy back whenever I put in anything close to 'serious' saddle time/mileage. I could definitely use the core when Downhilling to keep control (and style!!!!!!!!!)