Quantcast

Lower 180 Vanilla to 160

Speed

Chimp
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle
Seems like it should be as simple as dropping a 160 spring into a 180 vanilla, but I asked Fox and they said it can't be done. Is that Fox just forcing us to do what they want, or will it really not work?

I'd like to have the fork mostly at 160, but have the option to go to 180 on the big days.

TIA!

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
It's more complected than just swapping springs, but you can. Basically you need:

1) A spring that's 20mm shorter than the stock one, but with otherwise similar dimensions.
2) A 20mm spacer on the spring shaft. That one you'll have to make yourself.

I don't know if the 160mm springs are just 20mm shorter. I actually doubt it, but can neither confirm or deny with total certainty.

Edit: You can cut the stock spring, but you're then need another spring to go back to 180.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Just curious, does cutting a spring cause any problems by not having that terminal (flat) coil? I've always been tempted to lower my boxxer team to 7" travel... but I'm a little skeerd.
If cutting isn't a big problem, the OP could potentially use one of his extra springs (of lower spring rate than he normally runs) to cut, since the spring rate increases when you remove coils.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
no offense.... but do you realy feel the diference betwen 160 and 180mm of travel? if its the same atc its not realy a diference is it?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Just curious, does cutting a spring cause any problems by not having that terminal (flat) coil? I've always been tempted to lower my boxxer team to 7" travel... but I'm a little skeerd.
If cutting isn't a big problem, the OP could potentially use one of his extra springs (of lower spring rate than he normally runs) to cut, since the spring rate increases when you remove coils.
I've done it to a couple forks with no ill effects. With a little effort you can bend the tip flat fairly successfully.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
no offense.... but do you realy feel the diference betwen 160 and 180mm of travel? if its the same atc its not realy a diference is it?
The axle to crown does get lower. So yes, it's a substantial difference.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
The axle to crown does get lower. So yes, it's a substantial difference.
If you're cutting the spring and replacing the top of it with a spacer, then how would that change the axle to crown exactly? Seems to me that you'r ejust replaciong a bit of spring with a bit of solid. Am I missing something?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I believe you are effectivetly shortening the spring shaft by adding the spacer under the head of the spring shaft. This stops the fork from extending to full length. This would shorten your travel w/o the spring hack, but then you'd have some crazy ass preload!

Here's an un-related question: would it be possible to fit boxxer ride spring internals into my '09 boxxer team?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
If you're cutting the spring and replacing the top of it with a spacer, then how would that change the axle to crown exactly? Seems to me that you'r ejust replaciong a bit of spring with a bit of solid. Am I missing something?
Yeah. The spacer goes under the top out assembly so it engages sooner. You're not putting the spacer where the 20mm of removed spring were.

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
I believe you are effectivetly shortening the spring shaft by adding the spacer under the head of the spring shaft. This stops the fork from extending to full length. This would shorten your travel w/o the spring hack, but then you'd have some crazy ass preload!

Here's an un-related question: would it be possible to fit boxxer ride spring internals into my '09 boxxer team?
the left spring side is the same on the ride and the team

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
are the stanchions longer on the 36 180mm than on the 36 160mm forks?

it would seem so, judging by the different lowers which protrudes below the wheel axle?

does this mean that you would just bottom out the stanchions inside the lowers if swapping the 180mm spring for 160mm spring, and not get the reduced travel effect?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
WHILE the stanchions are longer the travel would be fine 180-20 = 160 so the fork would not bottom from the stanchions hitting too soon, unless you used the 160 lowers.