Quantcast

Loose lock ons

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
I have accumulated a few sets of "loose" ODI lock-on Ruffian grips.

The grips are not beat down. Fairly new, but somewhere in the system they have developed slop so that the entire plastic/rubber grip section can rotate a few degrees while the clamps stay stationary on the bar. I emailed ODI about this, but have not heard back yet. I have not had this problem with lock-on Intense-style grips. I have tried with both ODI and some blackspire clamps, still the same problem. I think there is a tolerance problem or wear issue where the plastic snaps into the clamps.

Has anyone else had this problem? If yes, did ODI do anything to resolve it or did you have to buy more?

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
the trick is to rotate one clamp so they are tight, I had problems with the first set or 2 I had but lately mine have been slop free.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
1) tighten one collar

2) twist grip and other collar as tight as you can

3) tighten second collar while still applying tension

4) re-tighten as necessary

Every set I've owned seemed to do this with time.

*edit* too slow on the keyboard....same as stated above

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
I just got some new FUNN grips today that I thought would be the same old thing as ODI's but actually use a totally different clamping system. Their friggen pimp!
Instead of 2 little notches to lock onto like the ODI, it just clamps around the whole diameter which has a parting line that allows it to tighten.
no possible way for em to develop that little bit of clicking that the ODI's do. Plus the allen bolt is bigger but less noticeable.

coma13

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2006
grips........no

Your fascination with justin timberlake's ab muscles...........probably
i set that one up so well and that's all you could come up with??? everbody know's it's all about jt's ass anyway.... poser

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
throw em away and get ones that grip the s... out of the bars.

one of the riders up here rode with one grip loose.
he landed off of a small drop, the grip spun and he went down.
he dislocated seven bones in his hand and may never be the same downhill rider he was before.

don't jack with the most important contact point on your bike.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA

one of the riders up here rode with one grip loose.
he landed off of a small drop, the grip spun and he went down.
he dislocated seven bones in his hand and may never be the same downhill rider he was before.

I'm confused- don't buy ODIs becuse you know a guy that rode with them improperly attached and messed himself up?

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I'm confused- don't buy ODIs becuse you know a guy that rode with them improperly attached and messed himself up?
don't nit pick.
your confusion isn't my problem.

he's installing used grips that he's having trouble getting fully tight.
sh!tcan them and BUY NEW LOCK ON GRIPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what's to be confused about ??

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
don't nit pick.
your confusion isn't my problem.

he's installing used grips that he's having trouble getting fully tight.
sh!tcan them and BUY NEW LOCK ON GRIPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what's to be confused about ??
I'm not nitpicking, you clown. You said a guy "rode with one grip loose" with no more explanation than that.

If some dude, for example, was out riding, noticed his grip was all loose and didn't bother to get out a tool and fix it because of lazines (not saying that's what happened, but your explanation doesn't preclude this) then I'm not sure why you would mention the story. Don't be a dick because you didn't explain anything.

I've never seen someone use a pair of Ruffians or Rogues that didn't eventually develop this problem. It seems to have nothing to do with the grip being tight on the bar, in any case, just with it getting play at the interface.

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
I would be curious to hear what ODI has to say about this. Maybe they are checking with their legal department and hoping to avoid investigation from the CPSC. :busted:

Until then, the idea to use some rubber cement or electrical tape sounds good. Maybe a dab of roofing tar will do the trick. :monkeydance:

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I don't run any grips. I got some gloves made out of 5.10 sticky rubber. I just need to get them painted white to be cool like all the other kids...

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
I've got 4 bikes that all have odi grips on them.

At any given time, at least one could use replacing.

So yeah, not really but kind of.

Just got a new set today for my 5-spot that Im selling, but I found a pretty good set in my stockpile after I ordered.. was thinking of putting the new Bounus Pack up for sale on the classifieds.... im just lazy... then again I could put on the 5-spot and have one more piece of bait for the sale....

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
I'm not nitpicking, you clown. You said a guy "rode with one grip loose" with no more explanation than that.

If some dude, for example, was out riding, noticed his grip was all loose and didn't bother to get out a tool and fix it because of lazines (not saying that's what happened, but your explanation doesn't preclude this) then I'm not sure why you would mention the story. Don't be a dick because you didn't explain anything.

I've never seen someone use a pair of Ruffians or Rogues that didn't eventually develop this problem. It seems to have nothing to do with the grip being tight on the bar, in any case, just with it getting play at the interface.
wasn't my bike.
so i have no frikkin idea why it was loose.
we just noticed when we were hauling it out, that the one where he screwed his hand up on was spinning.
i don't feel i even owe you this much of a micro explaination.

like i said,
as soon as any kind of grip becomes a problem, toss em.
it's cheap and beats the hell out of the surgeon having to unscramble bones out of the middle of ones hand.

but in your case........

stgil888

Monkey
Jun 16, 2004
Malibu, CA
dhbuilder,

I agree that it makes sense to toss a part that could potentially be dangerous. Especially an inexpensive one that cannot be 'repaired' in the traditional sense. I have the same philosophy (except when it comes to broken cages on Shimano DH clipless pedals) and I count it as one of the reasons I can count all the bones I've broken due to riding accidents on one, healthy hand.

Regarding these grips: I don't think they are in danger of rotating around the bar. The aluminum lock-on clamps are quite tight against the bar (I can't moto-throttle them no matter how hard I try) but the rubber part can twist somewhat. I think some of the previous hit the nail on the head with the interface wear. My guess is that tolerance issues at the plastic-to-aluminum interface have been exacerbated by wear and resulted in the sloppiness I feel now.

I can see how the tighten-twist-tighten method could work and will try it out. My real hope is that ODI stands behind their product and replaces my loose grips! I got exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for on the site. I will post any response I get from ODI.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
wasn't my bike.
so i have no frikkin idea why it was loose.
we just noticed when we were hauling it out, that the one where he screwed his hand up on was spinning.
i don't feel i even owe you this much of a micro explaination.

like i said,
as soon as any kind of grip becomes a problem, toss em.
it's cheap and beats the hell out of the surgeon having to unscramble bones out of the middle of ones hand.

but in your case........
You owe me nothing- just get a clue before coming down on me. If you have no idea why it was loose, why mention it? Just read other responses in this thread. The issue described by the original poster has nothing to do with the grip spinning and causing a crash.

Mudpuppy

Monkey
Oct 20, 2001
Port Orchard/Not WSU

blah blah blah...story that has nothing to do with the problem...blah blah blah.

I don't think you understand what we are talking about here. We are talking about the clamps being tight and the whole grip back and forth in the clamps maybe 1/32 of an inch. Its really not anything more than an annoyance NOT the whole grip slipping around the bars and causing crashes.:monkey: