Quantcast

Looking for a good scotch

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
My friends and I are graduating college next week and I am looking for a good scotch as a present to ourselves and to celebrate. I'm looking for something quality, since I think I will spend a decent amount of money on this. Any suggestions are appreciated.

This is a list of what I have had so far. Pardon the spelling if it isn't quite right.

Balvenie 12 year double wood
Glenfiddich 10 or 12 year (It's been so long I don't remember)
Glenlevit 10 or 12 year
Macallan 12 year
Johnny Walker Black

I know this should go in the beer and food, but I thought more people would have a chance to see it here, and therefore gain more input.

spam16v

Monkey
Oct 27, 2004
Buffalo, NY
glenmorangie (spelling) its a good single malt, spend the long dollar for the good one and be happy with your decision. pitch a tiny lemon wedge in it..... real nice finish.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
The Balvenie definately won't disappoint...very smooth and tasty. I've heard good things about the Johnny Walker Blue, but haven't had the pleasure of tasting it yet. I have tried the Black once, but I liked Balvenie better.

Does it have to be a Scotch wiskey? If not...go for some Bookers :drool: or perhaps even some Bakers (both Bourbon Wiskeys). I have also enjoyed some Basil Hayden's of late.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Laphroaig
Lagavulin
Dalwhinnie
Dalmore
Macallan

It all depends on what you are looking for. Single malt or blend, it's age and what type of cask it was aged in will all affect the flavor, nose, color, and body.

If you are new to scotch I would suggest a single malt, at least 12 years old. Check out http://www.scotchwhisky.com/ or http://www.scotchwhisky.net/ You'll learn a ton about scotch. It's a lifelong addiction/hobby that will blossom nicely as you go.

You can't go too far wrong with any of the Islay scotches. This is nice if you can A) find it, and B) afford it... (Like 400+ per bottle)

Bourbon = blech!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Glenmorangie, port finish is one of my favorites. Don't you dare put lemon in it; save that for the bottom shelf scotch.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Of the ones you mentioned I like the Balvenie best. Can't really go wrong with any of them though, a lot of it will end up being personal preferance at that quality level.

Barbaton

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2002
suburban hell
Personally I think Laphroaig is too peaty.

My personal favorite is Highland Park. It's made by a distillery in the Orkney Islands, which is way the hell up there off the north coast. It's incredibly smooth and the taste is great. It's a bit hard to find here and can be pricey when you find it (>$40) but it's really good. Scotch is so much cheaper in Scotland :mumble:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
current fave is bowmore. too bad its like 45 a bottle here in cali.
balvenie is also great. glemorangie is also nice, but there are so many choices from them.

i still dont get laphoraig. peet is a nice flavor, but to have my scotch taste like the whole bog? nah, thanks. ill pass.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
try to get a cask strenght of a good make.
Port ellen's cask is awesome, and my favourite ever.
I'm currently working on a Macallen 25years. Gorgeous!