Quantcast

looking for a freeride bike

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
ok well im looking into buying a freeride bike and ive found 2 so far but any others around the same price new would help im looking into a transition dirtbag or an 04 bighit comp each for around 1700 or 1800. which is better? or any others for around the same money? im also hopingto buy new ive had a few screw ups with used bikes

Thanks
PJ

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
ShdowConspiracy said:
ok well im looking into buying a freeride bike and ive found 2 so far but any others around the same price new would help im looking into a transition dirtbag or an 04 bighit comp each for around 1700 or 1800. which is better? or any others for around the same money? im also hopingto buy new ive had a few screw ups with used bikes

Thanks
PJ
How big are you? A little more info will really help people with giving you some advice.

*Edit
I recently got to take a look at one of those Weyless/Supergo 67 frames and it was pretty nice. For the price it goes for you could build it with some really nice parts.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Check out the yeti ASX, you can get em with the standard kit for $2100 if you look hard enough. The new bighit FSR doesn't look bad. My friend got it at the LBS for 1,700. OF your two choices I would go with the Dirtbag, but it's a tough choice

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
If you are looking for something strictly freeride (think 6-7 inches of travel and 2-3 Rings up front), there are plenty of options out there.

Haro Extreme Series
Iron Horse whatever the hell that stupid name is
SuperHo/Weyless 67
Transition DirtBag's/Prestons
Specialized Big Hit Comp
Various Konas

Are you considering DH bikes as well, or freeride exclusively?

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Ive got a 04 BH comp, it sounds pretty sweet for you. Its got tons and tons of adjustability and for a big guy like you, its probably gonna work out better than the transition. (especially if ur looking at the 6in dirtbag) Oh, and just so you know, 7 foot drops to flat arent really beneficial for any bike...

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
ShdowConspiracy said:
yea the drops to flat were a stupid idea but as for dh bikes sure ill look at some dh bikes
Well, I'm not sure if it is still around but I know some guy from Rutland MA that was looking to unload his Stab Primo for really cheap. I know he wanted to get rid of it for around $2000 at the end of last year. Last I heard he still had it and it was going for less.

If you are interested in it here is link a friend of his put up on Bustedspoke here

I would drop that bryan willis guy and schwaaa31 a pm on that website for more info if you're interested. They raced on his team so they would know if it is still around and condition and all.

I know you would prefer new, but you're pretty local to him so it may be worthwhile checking it out.

Of all the bikes you have listed I have a little time just messin around on the Bighit since I used to work at a Specialized dealer and always mess with their bikes whenever I stop by. It was pretty nice. Good solid frame. The only thing really noticable was the front fork was pretty awfull (Dirt Jumper)

KeeblerElf

Chimp
Mar 6, 2003
Ballard, Seattle
I think bikeguy100k has his VERY nice medium bullit on ebay with a buy it now price around what you are looking for.... he broke his collarbone and is paying medical bills, I think.
Very nice ride, you should check it out:
bikeguy100k's rig on ebay

.......and I know he'd ship. Where do you live at?

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
a cannondale gemni ( www.cannondale.com ) would be a good choice for ur FR bike. it's a lot lighter then the ones u mentioned, plus i think cannondale has a program where u don't have to pay for ur bike for 6 months.
i'd stay away from konas, their angles are way to slack for fr and most of their wieght is up in the headtube-top/downtube area. they are flopy and sluggish going down and even more so on flat.
also what fork would u get on the dirtbag? ive heard horror stories about the stances like on the bighit fsr.
a SC billt wouldn't be bad, but i don't have any real time on one, so i'll let someone else talk about that. that about all i got, good luck!

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
adrenaline bikes is selling the dirtbag as a complete bike and it has a stance kingpin which i dont really like at all but might be able to replace it and as for the bighit im looking at the 04 with the 6 inch dj2

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dude buy the iron horse kumicho and i will trade you my as-x for it. the as-x has an 03 junior t on it.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ShdowConspiracy said:
ah damn i wish i could get my money that quickly i have to wait to sell my dirtbike in order to buy a bike but that is pretty sick
take your time, i will keep hold of the yeti for ya.

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
i'd love to, thats a sick bike but your not local and ive been ripped off before, sorry but i bet you could sell your as-x and buy the iron horse without any problems

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
yojimborace said:
Check out the yeti ASX, you can get em with the standard kit for $2100 if you look hard enough. The new bighit FSR doesn't look bad. My friend got it at the LBS for 1,700. OF your two choices I would go with the Dirtbag, but it's a tough choice

i cant find it for less then 2800 bucks but thanks anyway

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Really? I went to the LBS and they had it for 2100 with sherman breakout plus, DHX and all the goods, I thought the internet was cheaper....

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
nothing else guys? no suggestions or feedback on the bikes mentioned? and im now thinking about the ironhorse yakuza kumicho also so any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

black noise

Turbo Monkey
Dec 31, 2004
Santa Cruz
The IH Kumicho looks like a good bike for the money, and so is the BigHit. Since you're a beginner get one, whichever you can get more easily and then just ride it and have fun until you grow out of it. Both seem to be versatile enough for a lot of different riding so you can see what you're into before you drop huge amounts of cash.

I'd say steer clear of the Dirtbag just because I know the BigHit is much better and I'm sure the IH is too. The BigHit has tons of adjustability, it's strong and very versatile. It's a great bike.

***MTB***

Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
SoCal
ShdowConspiracy said:

Thanks
PJ
I ahve seen the 05 big hit fsr for 1800. Just look at all your local bike shops and compare the prices.

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
Iron Horse SGS bikes are going for really cheap theses days i got an SGS pro freeride yesterday for $1275. check supergo in seattle i know its not the greatesy buying from them annd im sure everyone would rather go to a real shop but they have alot of the Iron Horse SGS bikes cheap call them and see if they have any. also you can wait for them to go one sale because they have tons of wierd sales.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
ShdowConspiracy said:
biggins im noticing you really want to get rid of that bike. why?

the bike is in awesome shape, i just want something different. when i get new bike mind i have to do something about it or it bugs the crap out of me.

if not something like my bike i would say get the yakuza kumicho.

Jan 18, 2005
Tiverton, RI
adurham said:
. check supergo in seattle .

well that would work if i didnt live on the other side of the us haha thanks anyway

and as for checking my local bike shop the oly freeride bikes they have is the bighit comp but can get any of the specialized their all road and xc shops

adurham

Monkey
Jun 9, 2005
most supergo shops have some old iron horse bikes in and they all are pretty cheap try and find one near you and give them a call if you want.