Quantcast

Looking at the '06 Gary Fisher 292

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
After my Stumpjumper broke yesterday, I have been check out new bikes and I think what I want is a Fisher 292. It's a soft tail 29'er with the Reba shock.

What I don't like about the 2005 292's is the Surgar based frame they are on. I've heard rumor that the 2006's will be on the Trek Fuel frame.

Anyone know for sure?

Oh, I did ride a 2006 Fisher X-Caliber last night at the bike shoppe.. it was a 19" frame (I need a 21") but it was nice! The flame red paint job with green metalic mist was kick buttocks!

:thumb:

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
29ers: the only way to fly. you ridden a 29er yet? the only down sides so far in the development of 29er stuff is the lack of good forks (REBA's pretty much it, but its a damn good fork!), long travel (again, 100mm is it from either a modified reba or a high $ WB 1.0) and big tyres. but the exiwolf 2.2 feels like at least a 2.5" 26er tyre. heck, if you were close, I'd let ya borrow my sofa king (as long as you're not single speed opposed!)

other than that, the myth that 29ers dont climb as good is just that, a myth. and descending? ah, how nice it is.

wait- is this BIKE TALK in the LOUNGE?!?!?!?!?!?! damn thought that was a :nope:

edit: if you're looking at a 19-21" frame, then 29" wheels are going to be a dream for ya, big boy.

also, some 29er converted/dedicated say that 26ers are for kids.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My biggest question is if the '06 292 is going to be on a frame other than the Sugar frame which tends to crack easily.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
slowSSer said:
also, some 29er converted/dedicated say that 26ers are for kids.
Thats cause the 29er converted/dedicated are old fogies. Here is my buddy Harvey who SWEARS by the Sugar 29er

He is in front.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
I had a Sugar 2+ frame in 2003 (disc) and was not impressed by either the suspension action or the weight (a bit portly) or the geometry - I parted it out and built an 04 Blur.

I think Fisher's geometry is a bit you like it or you don't, so it's a personal preference.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
so, being 28 makes me an old fogie? fine. maybe age=intelligence and we've seen the light about bigger wheels being better.

then again, keeping up with the kids on the freeride bikes down many local trails is pretty humbling. you dont feel bumps as much on the 29er making it a far superior descender.

heck, to get similar feel on the downs with a 26er, i've had to go 115mm travel with a 2.5" diameter tyre to get close to the same feeling

in the local MTB group, the 29er riders (about 5 of us out of 20-30) are on the average for the group- late 20s to mid 30s.

Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Thats cause the 29er converted/dedicated are old fogies. Here is my buddy Harvey who SWEARS by the Sugar 29er

He is in front.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
slowSSer said:
so, being 28 makes me an old fogie? fine. maybe age=intelligence and we've seen the light about bigger wheels being better.

then again, keeping up with the kids on the freeride bikes down many local trails is pretty humbling. you dont feel bumps as much on the 29er making it a far superior descender.

heck, to get similar feel on the downs with a 26er, i've had to go 115mm travel with a 2.5" diameter tyre to get close to the same feeling

in the local MTB group, the 29er riders (about 5 of us out of 20-30) are on the average for the group- late 20s to mid 30s.

Our local 30-35 XC racer boi rides a single speed WaltWorks 29'er and kicks ass with it... often whooping geared 26" racers by a good margin in TX and AR.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
29'ers are intriguing. I'd like to try one on a real off-road test ride. I just got a Switchblade and It's going to be a while before I look for another bike.

I've looked around and just about as hard to find as a jackalope. None of the five or so shops I go to seem to have any in stock nor do they have spare parts, like wheelsets, or consumables like tires. My chief concern would be the availability of spares and upgrades.

So here's my questions for the 29'er folks.

Is there a good reasonablely priced online place to get 29" stuff?
Do you have to twist the arm of your LBS to carry 29er stuff?
Do you have any good ot horror stories on getting your bike fixed?
What rubber can you get? I like Specialized roll-x and adrenline, and I'm trying some Kenda blue grooves. What tires can you get on 29'ers?
What wheelsets are available? I've never seen 29'er Crossmax or DeeMAX, so what's available?
What about forks? especially Trail/fr/dh forks 5"+?
What types of bikes are available? Does anyone make a serious trail/freeride/DH bike based on 29" wheels?
Are you seeing a lot of people switching to 29"?

I'm not slamming 29'ers, far from it, I think you should ride what you want to ride, but I want to know realistically what's available, and what compromises I'd have to make if I wanted to change to 29" wheels in the future.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
N8 said:
Our local 30-35 XC racer boi rides a single speed WaltWorks 29'er and kicks ass with it... often whooping geared 26" racers by a good margin in TX and AR.

good to hear! walt just built me a 29er suspension corrected rigid fork. i cant wait to throw it on this weekend!
(yes, riding rigid in socal, and, yes, I am nuts)

J

JRB

Toninator won one in a raffle last year. It was a small and he couldn't stand over the top tube. hahaha

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Is there a good reasonablely priced online place to get 29" stuff?

webcyclery is good. hate to plug another board, but check out mtbr's 29er board- i think theres a sticky at the top about online retailers.

Do you have to twist the arm of your LBS to carry 29er stuff?

i havent- LBS (the path, tustin ca) jumped on it. the smaller LBS's have no issue, but best of luck at a supergo like place

Do you have any good ot horror stories on getting your bike fixed?

i'm my own mechanic, and work part time at REI as a wrench, so not an issue here, for me at least

What rubber can you get? I like Specialized roll-x and adrenline, and I'm trying some Kenda blue grooves. What tires can you get on 29'ers?

Kenda has a few offerings, WTB seems to have the best, Bontrager has a few, specialized is coming out with some, and i think maxxis might be bringing back the high roller, so tire selection aint too bad.

What wheelsets are available? I've never seen 29'er Crossmax or DeeMAX, so what's available?

its getting better and better- bontrager, alex (td 17s are great rims) DT just came out with some sweet ones, and most cross rims seem to take the beating that MTBing can shell out.

What about forks? especially Trail/fr/dh forks 5"+?

5"? hmm. no. sorta. best you can do with off the shelf is 100mm by a converted reba and a white bros 1.0. keep in mind that with the bigger wheels, longer travel really isnt needed- heck 80mm on the REBA plus the 9er wheels keeps me happy here in socal, where on the other bike, it takes alot more to feel similar. oh- maverick's forks can be "spacered" to work with 29er wheels, and that's supposedly awesome (literally)

What types of bikes are available?

production? surly, salsa, gary fischer, spot, lenzsport, ventana, van dessel, on-one (i think) im probably missing a few.

custom? that's a silly question- most! heck, some like matt chester only make 29ers.

Does anyone make a serious trail/freeride/DH bike based on 29" wheels?

freeride-ish. ventana just came out with the el capitan, and lenzsport makes two, the leviathan (sorta XC) and the (cant remember!!!- its much more FR). it seems slow to come, but rumor has it that seven will be building their duo as a 9er. (i will be getting one)

Are you seeing a lot of people switching to 29"?

its at the stage like single speeding was about 4 years ago. just sort of a budding cult

I'm not slamming 29'ers, far from it, I think you should ride what you want to ride, but I want to know realistically what's available, and what compromises I'd have to make if I wanted to change to 29" wheels in the future

try it, you'll hopefully like it! thanks for asking intelligent questions as well!

im still amazed at bike chat in the lounge!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
N8 - if you are interested in a 29er - pay a visit to http://www.twentyniner.net and also to the 29er board on mtbr.com

You could always get a 2005 29er and just throw a Cane Creek Thudbuster on it if you want some cush for the tush.

I wanna give a 29er a test ride sometime - I kinda think the concept is a good one, especially as it applies to taller riders 6'2" or above. Puts things into better proportion for big tall guys don't you think?

If you want full squish and a 29er - Ventana is producing one, and Lenzsport is producing a couple of different models. Van Dessel has a FS buzzbomb too, but I think there may be some design flaws in the first offering of that frame with the rear tire hitting the seat tube and the frame not getting the full amount of travel that it claims to provide.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
slowSSer said:
Well I am 32, so that makes me smarter then you! :eviltongu

Seriously though, ride what ya want and have fun. In my experience the folks that enjoy the 29ers more so then anyone else are more of the ribbon single track type. I prefer more technically challenging trails and like my tires to come off the ground from time to time. However I am VERY far from a huckster.

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Well I am 32, so that makes me smarter then you! :eviltongu

Seriously though, ride what ya want and have fun. In my experience the folks that enjoy the 29ers more so then anyone else are more of the ribbon single track type. I prefer more technically challenging trails and like my tires to come off the ground from time to time. However I am VERY far from a huckster.
florida has technical trails? (kidding! :D )

well, you did hit one nail on the head: 29er wheels do not like to leave the ground. maybe its just my fat arse keeping me grounded and I am also not a huckster.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
slowSSer said:
florida has technical trails? (kidding! :D )

well, you did hit one nail on the head: 29er wheels do not like to leave the ground. maybe its just my fat arse keeping me grounded and I am also not a huckster.
Go to empty beer and have a look at Lance Canfield launching a Lenzsport Behemouth - 29ers do indeed get off the ground and in the air and in a big way when the likes of Lance Canfield throw a leg over one.

I think he also raced this year on a 26/29 set up on one of his bikes if my memory serves accurate (but then again I'm going to be 37 on Saturday so maybe I'm venturing into the old fogey realm. ;) )

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
slowSSer said:
.....try it, you'll hopefully like it! thanks for asking intelligent questions as well!

im still amazed at bike chat in the lounge!

So am I. Thanks for the answers, It was very helpful.

I'm going to seriously consider a 29er next time I look at new bike.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
gigapower said:
Are you still planning on getting the Specialized repaired?

Yes. it is a no cost (to me) fix from Specialized!

But I am really thinking about buying a Lenz.. or something along those lines...

I do know that my next bike will be a 29'er! Don't know what brand yet... Titus Racer-X, Lenz, Moots... who knows..??

slowSSer

mnoeky
Aug 14, 2002
Stepford
MMcG said:
Go to empty beer and have a look at Lance Canfield launching a Lenzsport Behemouth - 29ers do indeed get off the ground and in the air and in a big way when the likes of Lance Canfield throw a leg over one.

I think he also raced this year on a 26/29 set up on one of his bikes if my memory serves accurate (but then again I'm going to be 37 on Saturday so maybe I'm venturing into the old fogey realm. ;) )
i did see that. amazing.

37 is old fogey? damn. something fun to look forward to!

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
slowSSer said:
good to hear! walt just built me a 29er suspension corrected rigid fork. i cant wait to throw it on this weekend!
(yes, riding rigid in socal, and, yes, I am nuts)

He's always in the top 3 of the Texas and Arkansas racing series. He's done well with his single-speed in the Texas Series and now he's doing well in the Arkansas Series on a geared 29. He swears by WaltWorks.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
But I am really thinking about buying a Lenz.. or something along those lines...

I do know that my next bike will be a 29'er! Don't know what brand yet... Titus Racer-X, Lenz, Moots... who knows..??
A local 29er down here just recently got the Lenz. It is a very sexy looking bike, however it is already back in the shop for some issues.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
the SUGAR FRAME BLOWS!

has a terrible time shifting with the front der correctly. its junk. please don't buy it. that and its mostly if not all just bushings in the frame, F-that!