Quantcast

lock options

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
It's been ages since i had a Kryptonite lock and apparently a bic pen has rendered them pointless... what's a decent alternative for a bike lock in an urban setting if it's just gonna be locked for ~5-10 min?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
IME and IMO, a heavy duty angled chain lock with protective (kevlar) sleeve and lock resistant to getting cutters in there (no space) is a good starting point. Be careful with ones like the Kryptonite "fagettaboutit" lock where the actual lock has a ton of space so people can jam two adjustable wrenches in there and leverage the lock apart. The Kryptonite one is probably strong enough that this isn't likely, but on smaller and cheaper ones, you don't want any "extra space" in there for things to be wedged in and used as leverage. There are lighter and more compact versions that are decent IMO, but you go too far and it will again get easy to defeat. You can also run cables through this space though as described below to minimize this possibility.

The U-locks *can* work, but are difficult to work around the frame and objects and are far more limited in application. If you leave enough space, a criminal can put a car jack in there and pop the lock open. Also, since these are fairly rigid objects, they are easier to cut with a cordless angle grinder.

Cable locks are probably the easiest to defeat, unless it's some giant cable. Most thiefs are going to have a set of lock cutters as their go-to in their backpack. Not a giant set, but enough to clip through most smaller cables.

IME, a combination of locks is usually the best idea. A bigger cable that you can weave through a bunch of stuff to immobilize the bike and then a big tamper-resistant chain or U-lock like described above. This has the best chance of slowing someone down and making it less lucrative IMO. And even then, I'd only let it out of sight momentarily.

Just youtube the lockpickinglawyer and you'll see how easily some locks are defeated. IMO, you can get a good idea though of what is less likely to be defeated.

Last edited:

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
Back in the day when I was road tripping with my bike on a shitty Hollywood hitch rack I got one of these bad Larry's (motorcycle chain lock)

Super heavy but 1/3 the price of bike specific locks...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i bought a Kryptonite chain/lock like that one when i lived in ireland, as i didn't have room for the bikes inside the house and they had to stay in the garden shed... i figured it wouldn't be so easy to try to carry 4 bikes chained together over a stone wall.

but that shit is heavy and i wouldn't want to have to carry it around w/ me on errands. thanks for the replies i will take a look at the others.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The other good thing about a chain is it packs relatively well, so I would put one in a beanie cap or similar and put it in the bottom of my frame-bag, but due to the nature of the chain. But yep, weight...

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
in the city I always carried the chain and padlock draped over my head with the chain on the right shoulder and the lock on my left hip. That way it also made a handy tool to crack windshields of cars attempting to squeeze me into the curb. Grab the chain whip it over my head and slam the glass with the lock as I hopped up onto the sidewalk.

in the city I always carried the chain and padlock draped over my head with the chain on the right shoulder and the lock on my left hip. That way it also made a handy tool to crack windshields of cars attempting to squeeze me into the curb. Grab the chain whip it over my head and slam the glass with the lock as I hopped up onto the sidewalk.
Yup. Mine was around my waist...

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
I use this. It is heavy. It is supposedly good. I carry it in my pannier since my workplace likes to go all lock-Nazi and cut the locks on the racks without much warning.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Good point, this could also be your Mortal Kombat weapon.