Quantcast

lisbon downtown

yonton228

Turbo Monkey
Mar 7, 2005
lacey washington
I see that someone was using the new Manitou DH fork (Mick Hannah). Steve Peats paint job on his bike drives me nuts, I can't stand it. Well it's nice to see that he won it though.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
If people talk about your paint job..it's free advertising. Anybody besides me remember the "TUF Racing" kits that Ron Leichen had on his bike back in the day with his matching pink JT gear?

Nothing like Pepto Pink radiator shrouds and seat covers to blend in nicely with Kawasaki Green.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I told Steven his bike and gear are the ugliest he has sported since on sheffield MTB club in 94'. He told me I was the only one who has said so-and I replied with "it must suck to have everyone lying to you all the time" hahaha....good times.
I never saw Lechiens kit in person, but have seen pics....ugh.

Nothing is as bad as lil hanny from vegas, orange bike-pink gear.
http://www.kardyphoto.com/modules/PHOTOS/gallery/05SX/Vegas/gt5n9798.htm

I think my screen name needs to be thread hijacker...

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
stiksandstones said:
I told Steven his bike and gear are the ugliest he has sported since on sheffield MTB club in 94'. He told me I was the only one who has said so-and I replied with "it must suck to have everyone lying to you all the time" hahaha....good times.
Peats' Cammo kit is cool though........

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
stiksandstones said:
I never saw Lechiens kit in person, but have seen pics....ugh.

Nothing is as bad as lil hanny from vegas, orange bike-pink gear.
http://www.kardyphoto.com/modules/PHOTOS/gallery/05SX/Vegas/gt5n9798.htm

I think my screen name needs to be thread hijacker...
That kit is awesome from a sponsor's perspective. It's like driving the friggin Home Depot car in NASCAR.

Lechein back in the day:

A good idea of what I mean about ugly pink gear:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Robin Baloochi AKA dune rider, got a hell of a ride this year. HE is all over the place.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Cant Climb said:
Will be interesting to see if he gets ANY decent results......

We'll see, i'd put him in the same cat as Kyle Strait, and David K, guys with lots of talent, but not the will to take it to the next level.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Zutroy said:
We'll see, i'd put him in the same cat as Kyle Strait, and David K, guys with lots of talent, but not the will to take it to the next level.
Uhh yeah Kyle getting Podium at Junior Worlds 2 years in a row WITH another year left to compete in juniors. No, he def hasnt taken it to the next level? What about Redbull? Kyle Strait is the only hope America has right now.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
biker3 said:
Uhh yeah Kyle getting Podium at Junior Worlds 2 years in a row WITH another year left to compete in juniors. No, he def hasnt taken it to the next level? What about Redbull? Kyle Strait is the only hope America has right now.
this is not intended as a diss on Kyle. I like to think that if I run into somebody at a race, I can say the same thing to them without them getting offended. But, having seen lots of footage, watched him race, and viewed his results overall since his intro to mountain bikes, I think I can safely say DH is not his strongest attribute. He is doubtless talented as a freerider/terrain parker and DHer...but definitely is more dominant in freestyle events. To be dominant in DH and to win worlds, he's got to focus in DH and put freestyle on the back burner.

That, however, due to recent trends in payout for the 2 different kinds of events, will most likely not happen. I see him investing his talents in freestyle, not DH. Without the utter commitment to DH, he stands a darn good chance of getting beat at Worlds. I don't doubt for an instance there is a Junior DH'er out there from another country putting in way more time than him on sprints, turns, flow, speed, transition, aerodynamics, braking and acceleration.

That is going to be tough to beat.....my 3 cents.

BadFastard

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Belgium
look out for Nico Vinck, Belgian guy i met a few times.
He's on team BeOne. 22nd in the worlds last year (1st pro season)
17th in Vigo and now 12th here.
I'm betting a crate of belgians finest beer (Duvel if you care to know) that he'll score a top ten
When he hits the hot seat i'm popping bottles!
Give the guy another year and he's on podiums

Hans

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
Copenhagen, Denmark
BadFastard said:
I'm betting a crate of belgians finest beer (Duvel if you care to know) that he'll score a top ten
I was wondering who he was, he got a good bit of time in Earthed 2, nice to see some new euros pinning.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
BadFastard said:
He looks smoothe.....looks like he got a clue out there.....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
BadFastard said:
see, my take is different in that respect. If you study pro sports and stats on the athletes at all, they generally are who they are and don't advance much more statisticly throughout their career.

Peat, Hill, Kovarik, Pascal, Barel...they all came on the scene ON TOP. Once they get their, they're there to stay for the duration. A rider who is going to be spending their career visiting the podium usually shows up on it their first year and keeps on making regular appearances. There aren't any racers who come to mind that gradually creep up the top 20 over a 2-3 year period and then stay on the podium from the point.

They usually make an immediate impact and stay there.

Voullioz - Podiumed 1st year
Rennie podiumed 1st yr
Kovarik podiumed 1st yr
Hill podiumed 1st yr
Paskal, Peat, Gracia, Palmer, Barel, Miser.

I may be off on 1, maybe 2 of the above riders...but I'm pretty sure they all landed there the first year Pro. If you're buddy was only tipping top 20 last year, my experience says that is a lifetime stat. He may hit a podium once or twice, maybe even 3 times...but trends say he'll be posting 10th-20th place finishes most all the time.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
bizutch said:
Peat, Hill, Kovarik, Pascal, Barel...they all came on the scene ON TOP.

Voullioz - Podiumed 1st year
Rennie podiumed 1st yr
Kovarik podiumed 1st yr
Hill podiumed 1st yr
Paskal, Peat, Gracia, Palmer, Barel, Miser.
Barel operated in the shadows for his first few on GT and really didnt impress much......he only came into his own the last 3 years.

Rennie has improved considerably since he came over here in 1999. He had a few excellent results off the bat and then kind of faded and now has reemerged.

Hill........Q. How many sanctioned victores does he have in the senior ranks ?
A. None.

Minaar, now here is a guy who has steadily and surely climbed the ranks. He was not a dominator in the juniors and his early years.

Atkinson, another guy who isnt at the top yet but has showed steady imporvement.

Graves.......also has got better over the years.

The Athertons, from the results i have seen they have improved and moved up the standings in the classes in the UK. I mean from the time they went from Juvenile to Youth to Junior and now to Senior. Each year they moved past guys who were beating them the previous year.

And there are WAY more guys who backslide because they can't maintain the pace of training and progression.

I am nit picking here.....i like the belief that cycling is sport you can constantly progress in, that belief is what keeps me going.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
just a few corrections
Cant Climb said:
Barel operated in the shadows for his first few on GT and really didnt impress much......he only came into his own the last 3 years. - World Cup win 2nd year on GT - Age 18 - 8th at Senior Worlds, age 19 - 1st Place Mt. Ste Anne

Rennie has improved considerably since he came over here in 1999. He had a few excellent results off the bat and then kind of faded and now has reemerged. - WON JUNIOR WORLDS 1999, 3rd at Vail World Cup 2000-1st yr Senior
Hill........Q. How many sanctioned victores does he have in the senior ranks ?
A. None. - 4 World Cup pro podiums

Minaar, now here is a guy who has steadily and surely climbed the ranks. He was not a dominator in the juniors and his early years. - 1999 Arai Invitational -2nd place - , 2000 1st yr pro 5th place at Vail & Kaprun

Atkinson, another guy who isnt at the top yet but has showed steady imporvement.

Graves.......also has got better over the years.

The Athertons, from the results i have seen they have improved and moved up the standings in the classes in the UK. I mean from the time they went from Juvenile to Youth to Junior and now to Senior. Each year they moved past guys who were beating them the previous year. Gee - FIRST PLACE 2004 Austrian World Cup, 2nd Junior Worlds (behind Hill) 2003
And there are WAY more guys who backslide because they can't maintain the pace of training and progression.

I am nit picking here.....i like the belief that cycling is sport you can constantly progress in, that belief is what keeps me going.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
bizutch said:
just a few corrections
I saw Barel in person win Mammoth in 2000 and he destroyed the field, looked like he was on a relaxing flow-ride, so i shouldnt have mentioned him.

Junior wins are nice but alot of riders progress well beyond leaving thoose ranks.......

Riders improve but where are they impoving from.......some guys break in as top 50 others as top 5......but they do move up. Nico Wink could end up being a consistnet top 10 guy. Kind of like Matti Leikohnens career so far, he has steadily risen. As has that Justin Hauvukinen guy......

How bout' Bizutchs' progress.....?.......you a better rider than you were in 1999.....?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Cant Climb said:
I saw Barel in person win Mammoth in 2000 and he destroyed the field, looked like he was on a relaxing flow-ride, so i shouldnt have mentioned him.

Junior wins are nice but alot of riders progress well beyond leaving thoose ranks.......

Riders improve but where are they impoving from.......some guys break in as top 50 others as top 5......but they do move up. Nico Wink could end up being a consistnet top 10 guy. Kind of like Matti Leikohnens career so far, he has steadily risen. As has that Justin Hauvukinen guy......

How bout' Bizutchs' progress.....?.......you a better rider than you were in 1999.....?
Sometime go to www.cbssportsline.com and click on player stats for any of the Major sports. pitchers, hitters, point guards, centers, quarterbacks, running backs, linebackers, etc.

If you put an athletes year end totals on a graph, they usually read as almost a flat line. You rarely see a steady progression in scoring, win totals, average placing, etc or the span of their career. When an athlete hits the big leagues, they tend to be who they are and the talents they have at that point don't progress so much so to take them from typical top 20 to typical top 10 performances.

Find a pro rider in the ranks, show me one who wallowed in the 11-20th spots for the first 2-3 years of their career and then statisticly broke through to the top 10 CONSISTENTLY...and stayed there for any length of time...say 2 full seasons or more...it jsut doesn't happen.

There is a reason that there are millions and millions of dollars in Las Vegas. They understand this and yet 90% of the populace doesn't...so they bet on the underdog on a consistent basis....and Vegas just keeps getting bigger. :thumb:

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Butch I understand your point but Strait really does have a chance this year. He is doing all the WCs and he placed 40th at Spain. He also had a serious mechanical issue. He will win junior worlds this year, he is moving more and more to racing. I think he only did Redbull because it was near the end of the season and besides its not like anyone TRAINS to ride freeride. He's young and no, he is no Sam Hill but for racing like he does and still domintating the freeride scene shows me serious potential. He of all people is the hope of Racing because all the young groupies look up to him and if he races more, so will those kids. As said before I will be VERY suprised if he doesn't win worlds this year. Granted it wont be the insane 11 second margin with an off the bike crash like Sam Hill in 03 but he will most likely win. He is also capable of top 20s in WC if he pulls it together.