Quantcast

Lights

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I haven't looked at or shopped for them in a looong time, and I'm way out of touch on what the latest hotness is. With a recent job change, I'm much more able to get out for mountain bike rides after worn now, and with daylight dwindling I think it's time to buy a modern light system. What's good? I'm inclined to think that a stupid bright monster light on the bar with something smaller on the helmet makes sense, but I'm open to ideas.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I'm still a big fan of Light and Motion. You can have umpti-gazillion lumens but that doesn't mean squat without a decent beam pattern. The seca series is bright and has an even pattern that also illuminates a wee bit to the sides and down so you can see your bike. Been running them for many years and have yet to have a connector fail on me. 100% reliability.

You are correct with your combo. The one on the helmet should be your main light and the one on the bar will add shadows to the trail resulting in better depth perception.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
What's good? I'm inclined to think that a stupid bright monster light on the bar with something smaller on the helmet makes sense, but I'm open to ideas.
Depends on if you want to run 1 light or 2. You're actually better off running the more powerful light in your helmet. I run a 1 light setup and that's plenty bright.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
I currently have a magicshine eagle M2 2400 lumens with flood and spot beams you can run on your bar or helmet. if you mount in on the helmet it has a wireless bar mount control for beam choice (flood, spot, or both) and 5 power settings. I also have a 1200 lumen spot beam by Bright eyes that I usually run on my helmet

the shed is 30 yards from where I am standing

M2 Spot beam at full Power
M2 Spot FP.jpg

M2 Spot and Flood at full power

M2 Spot FP.jpg

M2 Flood at Full Power

M2 Spot and Flood FP.jpg

Bright Eyes Spot Full Power

BE Spot.jpg

M2 and Bright eyes with all beams at full power

M2 and BE FP.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Guys.... Ituo is no more. See my above post.
Yeah, I have their 3000+ lumen light and it's brilliant (literally). 3 settings each on flash and steady, programmable through 10 steps for each of the 3 steady settings, remote operated, and bright as hell with a great food, better than my cygolite.

For helmet lights and shorter/not as bright stuff you can pick up nightrider and light-n-motion lights near/at 1000 lumens for about 60-70 bucks, that's a great deal compared to what we used to pay for that stuff.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I haven't looked at or shopped for them in a looong time, and I'm way out of touch on what the latest hotness is. With a recent job change, I'm much more able to get out for mountain bike rides after worn now, and with daylight dwindling I think it's time to buy a modern light system. What's good? I'm inclined to think that a stupid bright monster light on the bar with something smaller on the helmet makes sense, but I'm open to ideas.
Dont get the predictive steering light

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I ride alot at night with the Niterider 950 Lumina Boost strapped to my helmet. I usually carry a bar light (L&M TAZ 1200) in my pack in case the helmet light goes down. I didn't do any research and just bought what the LBS carried. They work great. I think when I bought the TAZ it was $400... now $130. Both lights charge with mini-usb.