Quantcast

Let me get some words of advice - Credit Cards.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Hey guys,
I am in the market to apply for a credit card. I am 20 years old and order parts offline occasionally/books for college etc... I always have to get a friend to order the stuff and I'll pay cash on the spot. I have no problem managing my money and paying things off. I am a very "frugal spender". However I would like the convenience for these tasks and I need to build my credit up I would assume so I can one day finance a house when I get out of college.

So, what do you guys suggest? I looked online and there are a thousand different cards, I am not worried about cards with high late payment fees/penalties as that will not happen. You guys suggest any cards with decent rewards or cards that are more beneficial for any reason?

Last edited:

cyclenski23

Chimp
Dec 7, 2009
Be careful. I say discover card.

I got a discover card at 18 years old. Ive never payed anything late and usually pay off the card at the end of each month. Basically, i use my CC as a debit card, so when i make a purchase, i dont do so unless i have the cash in the bank. I use the CC because i get 1% on everything and 5% on specific things each month. Overall ive made 500 dollars using my card!

Dont get one unless you think youll never make a late payment, cause then your credit score will suffer. On the other hand get it if you can, because it will build your credit and make purchases alot easier.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Thanks for the input! Yea, I pay big items with cash always. I always have 2-3 grand in the bank just sitting there for fall back purposes and hopefully that amount will only increase as I age and my financial aptitude is met. I only intend to use it for online items. I am the kind of person that doesn't like to use the ATM and I record everything pretty faithfully. I work a lot for someone that is going to school full time too, so I roll in a few benjamins weekly/bi-weekly.

Any other advice and or suggestions would be of help!

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/gsearch.html?q=the+card+game&x=0&y=0

That said, my first CC was an American Express, points/rewards are decent and when you call Customer Support you get an actual person. I still have it and still use it.

Never ever use it unless you have the cash already in hand.
This. If you are buying something, put the cash into your savings account until your bill arrives. It is a very strong urge to put things on credit just because you can. Look at Redrabbit's thread about debt to see repercussions of debt spending.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I recommend capital one for a starter card. Interest rates will probably be high for your first card. I think mine was around 17%, which is really pretty absurd, comparatively. I used that for a few years before opening a bank account with an associated credit card. That had seven times the spending limit and came with cash back rewards. I stopped using the capONE card and started using that one. So far (five years or so) I've made $600 cash back on it. Not much, but that's effectively free money compared to a debit card. I've spend I think $3.74 in finance charges that I missed from not paying it off one month.

Get yourself into the habit of paying it off monthly. At the bare friggin minimum, pay off a portion of it. There's zero reason for a late payment, and only a small reason not to pay it off entirely.

I put EVERYTHING on my credit card, and virtually never use debit. I don't pay fees because I'm not retarded. The first card I ever applied for, I was denied. Now, I have excellent credit (760 or higher, I think) and qualify for some pretty impressive loans (ie, well qualified buyers). Now is the perfect time to start building your credit score, as long as you don't mess it up.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I 2nd Capital One.

I got a card and only use it for car related things (gas, oil changes, etc). I got the card when I was 18 and have been using ever since (26 now).

I also have a American Express that my wife and I only use for groceries. Tons of points earned over the years and we don't have to worry who spent what at the grocery store. We just pay even amounts on the card every month.

Just remember, do your best to not spend money you don't actually have and ALWAYS make sure to make your payments on time.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
We use two cards for it purchases - an amex and visa. Amex is our primary as we get starwood points for.spending on it. We are spending four nights in Denver this weekend and didn't have to pay for the hotel sole because we had points. We even paid for our honeymoon to Tahiti entirely on points.

clarkenstein

Monkey
Nov 28, 2008
i worked in banking for years so i have a little experience with CCs. go with amex if you can.

they aren't accepted at as many places like MC/VISA because they charge merchants a higher percentage per sale, but their consumer rewards programs are pretty good and they generally have better interest rates.

i started out with the normal amex green card, which had a annual fee and you had to pay the balance off the next month, then i bumped up to the gold card. i now use amex blue because i finally have enough discipline to not spend like an a$$hat and rack up huge bills (no annual fee and revolving credit line).

i had a CS experience once with amex that sold me on them. i was making a large purchase - unusually large for my credit usage history (i was paying for some work i had done on a 19th century upright bass) and the card wouldn't go through at the shop. within two minutes (after the shop tried again, but got the message "call amex" on their machine) the shop phone rang and it was amex on the line calling to make sure that it was me making the purchase and not someone who stole my card. that was pretty freakin' cool in my book.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
CCs are definitely the way to go if you can be disciplined. It's not free money. Normally the people that tell you to avoid them are scared of them, have debt or just aren't educated on what they can provide.

I have bought my XBox, PS3 and a whole load of other crap like plane tickets and other things just with points from my CC. You are going to pay bills, buy food, bike parts, gas and everything else that comes with daily life....why not get something back for your loyalty to a company? Just make sure it's something that fits what you want.

My aunt and uncle have a airline miles card, because they fly all the time. They get more points when they buy tickets and a better deal on tickets when they use points. Other cards do cash back. Find something that works for you. Nobody says you have the use the same card until the end of time. Whichever card you open now though, I would never close, just keep it open. Length of time for a credit line affects your credit score.

Check your credit report once a year and get your scores just to see where you stand. It's cheap, like $40 for all three scores. This will let you double check to make sure you don't have any reporting errors. It pays off to keep your credit clean, from buying a house or a car, to applying for a job. I have always had excellent credit....at least in the mid 700s and it's painful to see rates some friends get that have less than stellar credit.

Check this out, comparison for a lot of the different cards out there:

http://www.creditcardguide.com/credit-card-comparison/

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
If you're as good with $$ as you say you are... get a Costco American Express. As a backup though, you may want to consider getting one of those green dot reloadable visa cards. $7 fee per $100 reloaded. I have a green dot card that I use strictly for online purchases. My Amex is a costco amex so the rewards on that thing add up pretty quick.

Last year I got a costco rewards check for $280. I had them put it on a costco cash card and used it to buy gas for a whole month.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
If you're as good with $$ as you say you are... get a Costco American Express. As a backup though, you may want to consider getting one of those green dot reloadable visa cards. $7 fee per $100 reloaded. I have a green dot card that I use strictly for online purchases. My Amex is a costco amex so the rewards on that thing add up pretty quick.

Last year I got a costco rewards check for $280. I had them put it on a costco cash card and used it to buy gas for a whole month.
$7 per $100 on the card? I bet they love you.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I 2nd Amex. Their points are awesome and their customer service is even better. I have so many Amex points, I'm planning to get an around the world ticket at some point relatively soon - all for just spending money I would have spent anyway (this is a business card though).

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

GDOT = rape of poor people

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea.. I don't like the idea of Green Dot Relodable Cards. If I am not a fool with the card and read into the fine print (as I have learned from those who posted the PBS video, thank you!), I should be fine. I see no necessary reason why I should lose seven percent of everything I pay to the credit card company for a service for those who are irresponsible (or those who have the money to play with for pure sake of convenience).

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Personally I like the feeling of being debt free more then I like frequent flier miles or any other "benefit" CC's provide.

Buying online? Use your bank card. I have a separate account with my CU I use for online purchases. It costs me nothing.

No I didn't get into trouble with a CC. No I was never in huge debt over my head. I had normal debt, A CC, a student loan, car payment, etc. I just prefer simplicity and no debt. Personally I see no real good reason to have a CC. (I have emergency funds in the bank equal to or greater than the limit a CC would give me.)

My opinion and my experience. Your mileage will vary.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
The only CC I have is Capital One. Only reason I got it (like you) was to build up credit, around the same age as you. I pay off every bill in full every month, and because of that my credit scores were up around 760-780 when I went to buy a house, which is why I was able to get a mortgage. I mainly use my debit card, and I really just use the CC for gas and an occasional largish purchase once a month, so the bill is never really super high, so it's easy to pay off in full each month (largest bill has been maybe a grand or so). As pretty much everyone has stated, I only use it if I could pay cash at the moment for whatever I'm charging. I'd rather not have a CC but it's somewhat necessary to build credit/get loans....just be careful and it's a worthy move.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a debit card. If it costs more then $218, then I don't get it. Last month I had $610. I felt like buying something and went to JC Penneys and bought some Sox and Underwear. The rest went in to my savings after the 15th. I feel that if I can have a house and put $590 in my savings account, then I'm doing well... I would like some nice ODI grip replacements next month though.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
You could have saved an addition 10% had you opened and activated a new JCPenney Account like they asked you to...

I have a debit card. If it costs more then $218, then I don't get it. Last month I had $610. I felt like buying something and went to JC Penneys and bought some Sox and Underwear. The rest went in to my savings after the 15th. I feel that if I can have a house and put $590 in my savings account, then I'm doing well... I would like some nice ODI grip replacements next month though.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Well guys... I took all of your advice and looked up cards and read the fine print. It appears almost all cards say their terms are subject to change if they feel like it :shakefist: .

So I applied for the Penfed Visa Platinum Cashback Rewards Card. 5% back on gas, 2% at supermarkets and 1% elsewhere but of course they have terms on each of those that I have read.

Guess we'll see if I get approved (fingers crossed).

Thanks for the help thus far!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
You could have saved an addition 10% had you opened and activated a new JCPenney Account like they asked you to...
Don't be a jagoff... JCPenny doesn't carry ODI stuff... Sillyhead.... They didn't ask anyways... I bought sexy underwear. She was to busy doing the visual in her head to remember to ask I'm sure.... I called the number on the reciept and if I can get to Hyderabad by next thursday I have a solid date... I can't pronounce her name though..... I'm a little intimidated about meeting her family first...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Keep the credit card out of your wallet and out of sight. Seems like you have the right attitude though for the rest and there is some great info here.

splat

Nam I am
I have had a BankOne CC for 20+ years, they were always Great never ever had a problem with them. Low Interest rate ( I only used that once or twice ) , no Fees , and CS was great Had a Scheduled to be paid on line the day it was due, never a problem. last year they got bought up by Chase. what a Bunch of Assholes! 1st. they told me that I had to switch to the Black CC (with a $500 yearly fee) because my Credit line was so High! ( $100K I didn't even relize Bank one had kept jacking it up and up with No repercussions) so after an a hour on the phone they removed the fee and dropped my Credit line down to $20K , I've never been close to that, but they still want to charge me an annual fee , and fees for making this change. more time on phone . next I had a Month where the payment was due on a sunday. so I pay it like I always have on the day its due. Oh wait its Sunday ! that Payment won't go through till Monday ! ( never wasa problem in the past) Now they hit me with a Late fee! and interest , because of that got on the phone again , this time they won't budge. I have an 800+ credit score I don't need there BS ,they are Gone! FU chase!

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
Buying online? Use your bank card. I have a separate account with my CU I use for online purchases. It costs me nothing.
What he said.

If you're just ordering online, just use your debit card, that what I do. If you want to build credit on the other hand, get a credit card.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea, I want to start building my credit. I might be getting a lap top too in the near future for college (a few months), so I will be using it for that and I already have the cash for it. Things like that.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Turned down for the card... I called, they said it was because I had no previous credit... The representative said I needed credit because they have more "conservative" policies. Soooo I guess I gotta find another card here to apply for. I'll keep you all posted haha. Thanks guys for the help though.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Turned down for the card... I called, they said it was because I had no previous credit... The representative said I needed credit because they have more "conservative" policies. Soooo I guess I gotta find another card here to apply for. I'll keep you all posted haha. Thanks guys for the help though.
sorry dude...check out capitalone or other intro cards. You aren't likely to get rewards with your first card and your credit limit will probably be $500-1000. That's how I started. NOW I can get one of those 5% back cards....actually I can get any card I want besides the prestige cards that carry a yearly fee (Yay, pay to play???).

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
sorry dude...check out capitalone or other intro cards. You aren't likely to get rewards with your first card and your credit limit will probably be $500-1000. That's how I started. NOW I can get one of those 5% back cards....actually I can get any card I want besides the prestige cards that carry a yearly fee (Yay, pay to play???).
Had the same experience when I was in college. Had to apply for a student card. Once you've got some kind of credit history (6 months? a year? I dunno) then you seem to be much more appealing to the various CC companies and can do a little more shopping around.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Yea what sucks is to get into the PENFED program I needed to donate $15. Well at least it was to a good cause, I hope. I hope it wasn't just falling into some guys pocket or companies pocket instead of being used for society's benefit.

:hmm:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Personally I like the feeling of being debt free more then I like frequent flier miles or any other "benefit" CC's provide
In this case you can have your cake and eat it too. Debt free AND "benefits" - what it ends up being is the BANK paying YOU to use their card. It's brilliant. AmEx paid me over $500 last year to use their card. :cool:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
^ I agree. I have two credit cards and one ATM/debit card. I have never used the debit card for anything but ATM cash. I have a Capital One CC, which was also my first CC that I got in college. I also have a CC through my bank, but don't use it as much. I have never paid a penny in interest or late fees. I also usually get $500+ per year in rewards money from my credit cards.

As long as you are responsible with your money and don't spend money you don't have, you will be fine with a credit card. The interest rate doesn't matter if you never use it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This reminds me......I've been meaning to get an REI CC.....additional 5% added to your yearly dividend for REI purchases, and another 1% on all other purchases elsewhere. Seems worth it to me, God knows I go there enough to justify applying for it. Any other monkeys have one?

blackohio

Generous jaywalker
Mar 12, 2009
Hellafornia. Formerly stumptown.
I wasnt paying attention to my Trek card. went 1 payment outside the 6 mo deferred interest. Balance went up $348.

Paid it off 3 weeks later, with the additional interest. They wouldnt remove it (understandable but) I promptly closed the card. Woulda kept it open and used it if it werent for that. stupid me, got sidetracked with the cross country move.