Quantcast

Lawyers per capita

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
I've been thinking lately, with the US's spiral towards the United States of Amerika brought to you by Carl's Jr., does the fact that the US has the highest lawyers per capita of any nation in the world have anything to do with this? (I will note that I've recently come across an article stating that Israel has now surpassed the US, however I'm unsure if it is factual). In my little bit of research, it seems that there is one lawyer for every 265-281 US citizens. I suppose that I could probably do some data mining to come up with more precise numbers for other countries for comparative purposes, and maybe at some point I will, but for reference data for France shows a per capita of ~1400.

It seems to me to be a self fulfilling industry, where law is specifically catered and efficiency is retarded to essentially keep one another in business. Essentially, a big circle jerk amongst one another. And if this is really a problem, how does a paradigm shift take place as these people are essentially gate keepers?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Back out family, tax and criminal law, as there is some grey area there... those are needed attorneys in society. I whole heartedly believe that there needs to be trial lawyers for wrongful injury though.

Look at the sue first, ask questions later business lawyers. Politicians too, as most are attorneys as well. Toss in some patent attorney's (think Apple in house counsel) and you have a hat-trick of unnecessary lawyers.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
It seems to me to be a self fulfilling industry, where law is specifically catered and efficiency is retarded to essentially keep one another in business. Essentially, a big circle jerk amongst one another. And if this is really a problem, how does a paradigm shift take place as these people are essentially gate keepers?

Like Joker said, ever notice that most politicians are lawyers?

See the resemblence of your statement above and the current Congress?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado