Quantcast

Lawn tractors arent really good in the woods.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I dropped the mower deck of my crafstmen (example of POS thread) lawn tractor and decided to try some hill climbs in the woods. Man I need to rig up some suspension on this thing. Doesnt hold traction for **** :biggrin:
Got it stuck several times and had to push out. Anyone else push their lawn equipment to the brink?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I've got a small stream that crosses my property, an outflow for a pond in a neighbor's yard that ends up in a bigger pond. Anyway, most of the year it's dry, I'd say there's water in it 3-4 weeks total as the snow melts or if we get heavy rain. The banks are sloped gently and I'll mow it several times a year. Once in a while the bottom will be softer than I'm expecting and I end up yanking my yard tractor out of the muck with my pickup truck.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Awesome. I had an old dog chain grown into a silver maple in my front yard. I hooked the chain up to the back of my mower and yanked it out of hte tree. It was great.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
When trying to get a lifted truck into a friends garage, we aired out the tires and tried to tow it in using a Craftsman mower. It didn't work, but left some cool looking burnouts on the driveway from the mowers lack of traction.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Nice. I swear one of the previous owners of my house must've been a mechanic on the side. Part of my yard is pretty overgrown and I've been slowly cleaning it up. As I have I've found some off-the-wall stuff buried in the dirt.

A pile of used oil filters.
A set of pushrods, rockers and valves from an old V8 engine.
A complete pedal assembly (brake, clutch, throttle).
Universal joints
Rubber floor mats
A car hood
A complete front suspension (axle, hubs, spindles, springs, tie-rods, etc) all still bolted together.
Spark plugs.
A muffler.
Hubcaps.
And of course plenty of beer cans/bottles.

Some I've "found" with the spinning blades of my mowing deck, other stuff has been unearthed after the blades encounter the first piece.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
My brother and I pulled the deck off a old mower when we where little kids. We rode that thing everywhere and couldn't afford a three wheeler or go cart. I don't remember the brand but it was bad ass. The rear wheels where weighted and even had chunky tires with chevron tread. Finally cracked the cast rear housing on a rock and then burnt up the gears. It would often backfire and blow a blue flame 2' long.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Burly grows more redneck with each passing week...
:rofl:
Like any person with a set of testicles wouldnt try the exact same thing with any motorized method of transport. If I had a segway Id be trying to catch air with the thing.
Hell its got knobby tires, it needs to be taken offroad. :biggrin:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
My brother and I pulled the deck off a old mower when we where little kids. We rode that thing everywhere and couldn't afford a three wheeler or go cart. I don't remember the brand but it was bad ass. The rear wheels where weighted and even had chunky tires with chevron tread. Finally cracked the cast rear housing on a rock and then burnt up the gears. It would often backfire and blow a blue flame 2' long.
Haha, Ive been debating exhaust mods to try and get some more power out of this thing.

SilentJ

trail builder
Jun 17, 2002
Calgary AB
Haha, Ive been debating exhaust mods to try and get some more power out of this thing.
We had a 318 hydrostat drive John Deere that we modded...its hard to do much to the exhaust other than gutting the muff and porting the head. Air intake side seemed to make the most difference.

Note to those with hydrostat drive and the chevron tread tires: full forward to full back makes for cool burnouts. full back to full forward makes for a sh1tty trip to the hospital and some 'splainin to do to your father.

splat

Nam I am
Nice. I swear one of the previous owners of my house must've been a mechanic on the side. Part of my yard is pretty overgrown and I've been slowly cleaning it up. As I have I've found some off-the-wall stuff buried in the dirt.

A pile of used oil filters.
A set of pushrods, rockers and valves from an old V8 engine.
A complete pedal assembly (brake, clutch, throttle).
Universal joints
Rubber floor mats
A car hood
A complete front suspension (axle, hubs, spindles, springs, tie-rods, etc) all still bolted together.
Spark plugs.
A muffler.
Hubcaps.
And of course plenty of beer cans/bottles.

Some I've "found" with the spinning blades of my mowing deck, other stuff has been unearthed after the blades encounter the first piece.

No Bodies yet ?

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
You might want to have the soil tested. It'll probably be toxic. :dead:
Probably, but if I have it tested and it is toxic, I have to pay for cleanup. If I don't test, and therefore don't know, I save money. A little short sighted and selfish sure, but I don't have any kids of my own and don't spend too much time in the yard unless I'm cutting the grass or raking leaves.

Back on track, sort of:

I'd love to try it once, but if my wife found out I'd mod'ed another household item "just for a little fun" she'd probably kill me.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Probably, but if I have it tested and it is toxic, I have to pay for cleanup. If I don't test, and therefore don't know, I save money. A little short sighted and selfish sure, but I don't have any kids of my own and don't spend too much time in the yard unless I'm cutting the grass or raking leaves.

Dude, I have found huge drums back on my land that definitely held some kind of chemical. Who knows what?
Also have found a swingset, some old Tonka trucks rusted out, tires galore, trash in general. Blah.

That's actually part of the reason I was XC'ing on my lawn tractor, cause I want to haul some of that crap out.

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Dude, I have found huge drums back on my land that definitely held some kind of chemical. Who knows what?
Also have found a swingset, some old Tonka trucks rusted out, tires galore, trash in general. Blah.

That's actually part of the reason I was XC'ing on my lawn tractor, cause I want to haul some of that crap out.
Yeah, I just dig it all out and dispose of it in the recycle bin. I keep joking that one day I'll find the rest of the car and it had better be something special for all the trouble it's been.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
I pulled a 350#++ aerator with my zero-turn yesterday. dug up my neighbor's yard nicely...of course, that's was the objective...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
Hey we told you Connecting your toilet directly to the fire Hydrant for "power flush" was a Bad Idea! then she sat down and Bam she was flying through the house
That's not my fault. I told her the "Turbo Flush" button was for my "special deposits" only.