Quantcast

KS lev taint spanker. Mine worked flawlessly and then it didn't

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've tried a few sack whackers and I'm in love with this one so I feel we should really try to make this work out.

It started doing this thing today where once extended all the way I puts me arse on it and it sags about an inch. It won't stay up. I checked the cable doohickey and it's unimpedimented(sic), deflated and reinflated (250 psi? really?). Shlt's all busted. Anybody else encounter this? Of course this is on a road trip living out of the back of my truck for a week.

And yes I know this isn't dh related but this is the only bike forum people pay attention to here and there's some smarts out there. So all you old people who used to ride fun bikes tell me what's up. :D

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Is it a hydraulic one? Usually means that it just needs a few cc more oil in it. Try to find some instructions for a rebuild.

Most you just have to depressurize, cycle a few times, remove the valve core, put in some oil, replace valve core, pressurize, and cycle a few more times.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
That particular issue has not happened to me. But there is rebuild instructions on their site. I sent mine in and they turned it around in a couple days (not really an option for you right now). You can try emailing them, too. Dude responded same day.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Try it now!

Mine still works. Emptybeer has oodles of threads about the various failures, and I think someone even posts a solution occasionally.

Seems sending it in is often required, though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Is it a hydraulic one? Usually means that it just needs a few cc more oil in it. Try to find some instructions for a rebuild.

Most you just have to depressurize, cycle a few times, remove the valve core, put in some oil, replace valve core, pressurize, and cycle a few more times.
Isn't there some kind of directional bearing in the collar? Mine's one of the newer style with the fixed cable mount.

But I've got a valve stem tool so I'll give that a shot.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Definitely get in touch with them, quick to respond when I had issues with mine.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Forgive me if I'm way off here. It's been a while since I looked at seatpost.

I have a 950r which is the same as the supernatural that KS sells and had a similar issue. If the Lev is cable actuated, either replace the cable & housing, get rid of any tight bends or loosen the adjusting barrel by one turn.
I had just replaced my cable & housing and had the same issue. It was pissing me off. When I changed the cable, I set the tension till it just took up the play in the lever. But the seat would return to full height and then sag back down 1". My buddy (who has the supernatural) asked if my cable was too tight and I should try to loosen it a little. Me being pissed off told him "It's not the F-ing cable". But as a last resort before sending it back, I loosened the barrel by 1-1.5 turns... It worked. Though I never thought that was the issue. EC

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I completely took the cable off to slack out the internal string thing. It's definitely not that.

I'm pretty sure it's the cartridge. I'll just send it in when I get home.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Isn't there some kind of directional bearing in the collar? Mine's one of the newer style with the fixed cable mount.

But I've got a valve stem tool so I'll give that a shot.
I have no damn clue about your particular assrammer. That's just generally how the hydraulic ones work. It's just a two-chamber hydraulic cylinder with a check valve in the middle and operates under pressure.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Crazy that this symptom seems so common. I've been lucky so far... fingers crossed.

A friend at work just got one, rode it twice, and now has the same problem as Woo describes.

Curious what your turnaround time will be. Also curious what the diagnosis turns out to be.

Keep us dropper posted.

bWahaaahaaa....heh ha ho hum

WHEW!

I kill me...

goodgrief

Monkey
Aug 13, 2008
Innerleithen, Scotland
I'm finding they are very sensitive to the length of the inner cable. Make sure it's at 15mm like the guy measures in the service video.
The grapple hook can be reversed so it sits behind the barrel too.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Geez. I bought mine online. I guess I'd be able to dig it out once I need to.

I'm curious how your dealings go with them. I've read mixed reviews....

Speaking if reviews, you should use your review authoritah

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Speaking if reviews, you should use your review authoritah
I will after this. The reason I bought the thing is because everyone was saying these just don't fail, ever. Now I know they have a potential problem. There's a decently long list of people with the same issue on mtbr. All bike shlt has problems so a remedy and/or pinning it to a batch run would be good to do and good to know about.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Yes.

I'm hoping it's a batch problem. But I've not really put all that many hours on mine. My buddy's worked for 2 rides. Obviously something's up.

Yours failed after many months, though, right?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Yes.

I'm hoping it's a batch problem. But I've not really put all that many hours on mine. My buddy's worked for 2 rides. Obviously something's up.

Yours failed after many months, though, right?
I bought it July 1 last year. I rode it several times a week until around Nov 1. Then I got sick with some flu shlt for like a month, cut a nerve in my hand, had surgery to play van halen's eruption once again, and then went on this little road trip. It sat for a good two months unridden but with a good number of hours on it before that. So yeah, six months with two of them missing.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
The closest thing to something that won't ever fail is a Gravity Dropper - no air spring, no hydraulics. The next closest is a DOSS or Command Post - no hydraulics, if the air spring gets fukd you can just set it manually on the trail.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Command Post
Heh.

that's what I replaced

Got tired of taking it apart to 'fix' it.

Still waiting for gravity dropper to build ones with bigger boots that have more play in them. I mean the boots look really really cool as is, and the posts definitely have some play......just not what I think they could REALLY do with each of those. :D

I know....they do seem to keep working though.

Last edited:

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
This man speaks truth -

...I don't keep bike part receipts. Doing so would result in suicide and/or crushing depression.

As for dropper posts - I have an original Reverb - first production run.
It is still going strong - never had a problem that was not self-inflicted.
I have crashed and ripped the cable out of the remote and have crushed the remote where the cable enters.
A few replacement parts - a line bleed and good to go.
It is also stored in outdoor unheated storage - so gets temps from +35 to -35 C.
Maybe I just got very lucky but so far so good.

michael

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Heh.

that's what I replaced

Got tired of taking it apart to 'fix' it.

Still waiting for gravity dropper to build ones with bigger boots that have more play in them. I mean the boots look really really cool as is, and the posts definitely have some play......just not what I think they could REALLY do with each of those. :D

I know....they do seem to keep working though.
I could deal with the play. I could even deal with the protective rubber. The ass tap however I just draw the line at.

I've only seen one post on someone having to send a DOSS in so far.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Man that's what everybody told me when I bought that damn Lev!

What's the mechanism on those? Similar to the command posts with a collet?
It uses cams/bearings to push the keys into the keyways. My buddy who's warranty manager for a very large chain of bike shops in the Bay Area says they've had the least amount of warranty returns on it; he bought one after his Command Post ****e the bed (FYI - he states that they get a lot of KS warranty issues). I've had no issues with my DOSS, but a sample of 1 is useless.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I just dropped my coin on the LEV integra. My long legs allow 150mm of drop and I want every inch of seat drop I can get. I tried the Reverb stealth but 2 failures/warrenties within 10 weeks of initial purchase sent that **** packing.(Had multiple friends with the same generation post with identical experiences, but another friend on the original Reverb hasn't had a single issue) Tried to get the regular LEV but my LBS claimed it wasn't available from their suppliers. Too bad Thomson doesn't have a 150mm drop post.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
one year of hard riding and no issues so far: Kind Shock Drop Zone (950R)

I have this one too. I was initially worried about it be cheaper, but its been pretty awesome so far. It does get stiff if you don't use it often, but once you get move it up and down a few times its golden. Also helps to toss some slickoleum under the red collar too.

Thumbs up from me, even if it has that dangling cable.

I too am also curious about how the RMA process goes.....you know, just in case..

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I'm stuck between the Reverb Stealth and the KS Integra right now. I have the KS 950r on my current bike and it's been flawless but my new bike is a different seatpost diameter and also has internal routing so I'm stuck between those two. My current KS has been great and I had planned on getting the Integra but I've heard a bunch of failure stories, including the one that was on a demo bike I rode, it kept dropping slowly while I was riding. But on the other hand I've heard just as many stories about the Reverb. I'm also not crazy about the remote on the reverb... ::first world problems::

i was told to avoid lifting the bike with the saddle anytime in the non-extended position. over time, the unsupported weight of the bike may create enough negative pressure within the cartridge to suck in air. Reasoning dictates, that air within the cartridge causes the sag when you sit.

i'm swapping to the Thomson stealth dropper when it becomes available.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I got it back and then it started snowing.

So I skied.

Took about 3 weeks turnaround. It works but I haven't ridden it yet and given the what for.
I sent mine in for a service over the winter. but they managed to lose it. So now I have a brand new in the box post!

I never had major problems with my old one (just the string thingy slipping), so I hope this new one is at least as reliable...