Quantcast

Kona Coiler and related bikes.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
So, my buddy is just getting into mountain biking. He knows I mountain bike alot too, so he was wondering what would be a good starting bike for him. I told him the Kona Coiler, because it's right around his price range. I showed him the bike in my Kona Catalogue, and he liked it. But just to be sure, he wants me to find some related bikes to it (since his internet is down atleast for another month). I hestated at first, but then he offered to pay me 5 bucks. I was real hungry, so of course i accepted. :bonk:
So, what are some related bikes? I'm thinking of the transition bottlerocket, but im not sure of the price.. anything else? help is appreciated.
Oh yeah, he will be coming with me on some downhilling, and jumping. He's about 5' 11" and 170 pounds.

Jan 21, 2006
Boone, NC
Bottlerocket would be good because it's pretty versatile, but has he considered starting out on a hardtail? I think most people would agree that the hardtail would train you a little better like to find smoother lines and land jumps and drops smoother. He could go for a p2 or p3 if he wants a hardtail.

Niq1

Chimp
Jul 12, 2006
I love my Coilair- I know it's a bit fancier, but the frame is the same, and even the basic model is pretty sweet.
I also think the hardtail suggestion has merit, as a beginner will learn more handling skills on one, while also getting a better parts/wheel selection for his $$.

carbuncle

Monkey
Dec 2, 2004
Edmonds, WA
Transition Preston FR is a better analog for the Coiler than the Bottle Rocket: the Rocket is very much a pure jump and freeride bike while the Preston can hit trails with a better feel.

mshred

Monkey
Aug 6, 2006
I was on the transition site, and checked out their dealers. Turns out the closest one is about 3 hours away :(

But on the otherhand, I think it's great how they have frame + fork combos on the site, and other custom things.

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
i've got a lead on a good coiler frame for real cheap if you're interested. just pm me.

as far as a first bike goes, he's gonna ride whatever into the ground, then base needs for a second bike on the feel of the first

what about one of the ironhorse 7point series? he could get one of the "lower end" 05 or 06 cheap now, i believe i saw the 05 7point3 for like 1400 or so, they got 7inches in the back, and about 7 in the front i think, and he can upgrade as he goes. and correct me if im wrong but isnt the DW Link one of the better suspension systems?

scratch

Chimp
Jan 1, 2005
denver, co
if he's comin from moto, get him a beefy bike! when i got back on the mtb from moto, my hardtail felt like a little toy, have been much more comfy on the big bike

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
But get him one that pedals well. He'll be used to being able to apply instant power. A bouncy high pedal feedback bike might annoy him.

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Its DJ's okay. Not like a true DJ bike would, but still respectably. If in the future he wants to up his ability to DJ, he should just put a fork with U-turn on. Crank it all the way out for big-mountain. Then slam the travel down to about 90mm for urban or DJ. He will probably want to replace the fork in a season or so anyways. They are great for beginer types, but when you really start trashing them their weeknesses are exposed. Overall I would say get the Coiler

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
my friend had a coiler, and to tell you the truth, it felt kinda sloppy on the trails. this was the 2005, but still. you could get an sx trail or something, there are lots of great bikes out there, i really don't know why the coiler would e a top choice other than its pricepoint. he'll be happy on it if he is a beginner, but as he gets experienced, he may find himself wanting a better bike. and as for the dirt jumping, it works ok on really small jumps, but when you start slamming it into the bigger sets, things get sketchy

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
With all the other Tards!!
The ‘04’ Coiler was my first real MTB and I learned everything on it. I think it’s one of the best starter bikes. It work's good at DH, I only say good because after awhile everything will break. It pedals fine and feels awesome on the DJ’s. I’ve hit up to 30ft dub’s on my colier and feels steady and lands great. I’m running a 66rc2x right now so it pretty much sucks up everything. I’ve seen John Cowan hit a 40ft step-up on his yellow coiler in Whistler so I think the coiler will jump ok for your buddy.

Don’t have many pics on this comp. but here’s one from a couple of years ago.

& a short vid.

http://media.putfile.com/1ORBUST-MAIN-Ewood-Hip

Attachments

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
ok thanks. when you say when you start trashing them, their weaknesses are exposed, are you talking about the forks, or the bike?

The bike itself dosn't have a weakness it's the parts Kona puts on the bike. I broke everything on my orig. bike. Everything execpt the fork, Bars, Stem. & Frame. Blew the shock, both wheels, all the linkage bolts, bent the canks, broke the seat and seat post. But once I built it to my specs. it really hasn't had any probs.

Oh and I don't know what fork comes on the one he's looking at but mine came with a 5inch MZ drop-off and those forks are JUNK. It was switched to a Super-T then a 66RC2x

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Yeah, I was reffering to the fork. The bike itself is A+, but the fork is about a B-. It will be fine for anything less than about 7ft in height or really fast scetchy desents. When you hit bumps really fast (ie techy DH course) then the fork tends to pack up a bit. Also, I think EItoro may have been exadjerating a bit when he said he broke everything on the bike. I have never heard of anyone breaking a linkage bolt. My freind has a 2004, and he has hucked 18ft drops, no problem. Just replace the fork after about a couple of months, money permitting, the wheels when they break, and the cranks when they bend or snap. After that you will have yourself a burly freeride rig.

ElTORO

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
I think EItoro may have been exadjerating a bit when he said he broke everything on the bike. .
Nope I speak the truth. I was putting my bike thru the worst hell you could. SB Tunnel Rides, 4 miles of the worst rock hell.

Once I went thru a period of 7 rides, 7 derailleurs & 7 Hangers. I was WTF is up with this bike, I would go over everything and could never find a problem. Finally I just took the whole bike apart and I couldn't get my Top or Bottom shock bolts out. Struggle for an hr or two and finally got them out. Both bolts were bent so bad it looked like the smile of a smiley face. My shock was prob. 1/4inch lower then it should have been, so it was bottoming it out like mad and break derailleurs. Oh and in case your wondering i'm 170 so I'm not a total fat ass.

But after all that I'm still happy I bought the bike. It has brought me a ton of joy.

p.s. after a couple of DJ sessions on the colier last weekend I think I bent the bolt again. :disgust: