Quantcast

King of The Rock, Windrock Omnium

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
View attachment 113765

On Saturday September 7th, we will be starting a new event at Windrock that will serve as an introduction for many new riders and even some veterans to the endless possibilities at Windrock. It will begin with a multi stage enduro, with an undisclosed course (but I can say that it will incorporate the current Windrock XC Trails). Followed by an old school on the grass flat turn style dual slalom race, on a course that will allow riders of ALL skill levels to ride and enjoy. The biggest challenge on the course will be to finish a run without a huge grin on your face. Racing will continue on this into the evening. Sunday the 8th, we will be a DH race from the top of the mountain, with practice limited to one day.
Now heres the catch, als will be awarded in classes for individual events, but no prizes.
Prizes will be awarded to the riders with the highest points for all races per class (trust me there will be some wicked prizes!)

The classes are as follows-
Pro/open
Am
Masters
Jr.
One Bike Wonder (uses one bike for all events and will recieve the best prizes and be crowned as the king of windrock)

Camping, sponsors/prizes, preregistration info, entry fee, and other details to follow.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I can't remember. Have you ridden the Rock Matt?
Yes. I rode it twice in College on a DH bike. But nowadays I ride a lot more XC/AM/ENDURO! than I do DH. I think it would be kinda fun to challenge myself to do it on 1 bike. But I'd be worried the entire time I was riding the DH course I would be thinking "damnit I should have brought my DH bike."

And this would be my one bike wonder

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Yes. I rode it twice in College on a DH bike. But nowadays I ride a lot more XC/AM/ENDURO! than I do DH. I think it would be kinda fun to challenge myself to do it on 1 bike. But I'd be worried the entire time I was riding the DH course I would be thinking "damnit I should have brought my DH bike."

That plus the DH would be good. I wouldn't want to ride Windrock on a HT - even for giggles.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

I love ya guy and I've often threatened to bring my hardtail when the haters talk like nothing can get down the mountain but the biggest of bikes, but that would suck there. It's much rougher now than when you were in college.

The lead in to the Earnhardt drop used to be a freeway and the lander smooth...not any more. Sure, you could ride it there, but you'd be miserable.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I love ya guy and I've often threatened to bring my hardtail when the haters talk like nothing can get down the mountain but the biggest of bikes, but that would suck there. It's much rougher now than when you were in college.

The lead in to the Earnhardt drop used to be a freeway and the lander smooth...not any more. Sure, you could ride it there, but you'd be miserable.
I'd be alright on the XC/Enduro courses right? I'll bring the big bike for maximum squish on the DH course.

rocklobster

Monkey
Apr 3, 2011
the DH course will definitely be faster on a dh bike, but i will be routing the dh course so that it is still ridable on a all mountain bike. And since my all mountain bike is also a hardtail........ One bike wonder!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
THIS IS SO AWESOME

I know you guys are into being non-sanctioned, but give the guys at NABRA a shout. There are a bunch of former USAC bureaucrats. It's essentially the same organisation that sanctions the Oregon Enduro Series and the Cross Crusade CX races.

$2 per rider, ample liability coverage/

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
that one day format for the dh race is pretty cool, dont see that much. Sounds like a blast all around. September looking like a good month this year!

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
This...is...sickness...

It would be cool if, like downeville, you must ride the exact same bike, same setup. No swapping of bars, stems, gears, tires. Etc.
I think that's why they're giving the option for One bike Wonder. It would be fun to see how everyone would do on the same bike but some of the DH trails at WR are world class and require a full blown DH rig. Forcing people to ride the same bike might turn some people away, I considered riding the same bike but if I'm gonna drive all the way to WR (9 hours) I want to have the best tool for each discipline to maximize fun-ness.

The one bike thing did have me wondering about what bike would be best for all three...Enduro Evo, Bronson, 66sb etc.

Anyone want to carpool from the greater Baltimore Area let me know, I think I could get 2 more people in my truck (9 total bikes). Might try to make a vacation of it and hit up Pisgah for a day or two...

I would think it wouldnt be full on 10 out of 10 gnar if they are giving option for nonDH bikes. But hey, what do i know, maybe a race coordinater can chime in.

Im thinking a bronson would slay it in the omnium ;)

Im also bringing the ktm for some throttle twisting action. So i think i may leave the dh bike at home...