Quantcast

kinda pissed

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
So i just got finished watching Sam's run at the worlds on Freecaster and I am kinda pissed. All I want to know is why are the Olympics so lame as to pick XC as their MTB discipline. Who really wants to watch a bunch of lycra clad f#$s play follow the leader. No wonder viewership for the games has slipped, their image is dated. DH biking represents an amazing feat of man and machine. It photos well and has excelent watchability.

Jun 29, 2007
Alabama
Every Olympic host city is not suited to DH racing. Adding DH or any other mountain-dependent event would severely limit choices of host cities.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
urban dh yo! but yea. the world doesn't run the way you want it to, or the way i want it to. sucks, but get used to it.

on a side note, if dh was in olympics, what would you think of Hill, Minaar, Rennie, or Peaty on a Wheeties box? :rofl:

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I think that the argument of not all cities could host a DH event is mute. When they had the 96 olympics in Atlanta they used the Ocoee river for the paddling events. That is over 2 hrs away. Any large international city that would host the olympics is close enough to a hill or ski area to make this vaible.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
There was a good segment on NBC's outdoor adventure show this past Saturday featuring Jeff Lenosky riding with a crew at Whistler. It is probably just a matter of time. Every Olympics adds a new weird sport to "exhibition". They're going to do Ultimate Frisbee for God's sake. XC however is what the majority of people relate to. Others will argue that we have the "X" games. hahaha

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
and will fall out of the box onto the floor just before you eat it...everytime you're really hungry...leaving you still hungry and a broken, injured cereal that can't be eaten, while all the rest of the cereals are left to fill your bowl.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Who really wants to watch a bunch of lycra clad f#$s play follow the leader. No wonder viewership for the games has slipped, their image is dated. DH biking represents an amazing feat of man and machine. It photos well and has excelent watchability.
Just stirring the pot a little, but you gotta remember the picture is much bigger.

Who wants to watch a bunch of moto-wannabe "f#$s" racing against the clock when there's BMX?

DH is no more an amazing feat of man and machine than any other cycling discipline.

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
and will fall out of the box onto the floor just before you eat it...everytime you're really hungry...leaving you still hungry and a broken, injured cereal that can't be eaten, while all the rest of the cereals are left to fill your bowl.
thats harsh

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
sorry to derail, but i feel like anytime there's a big competition, or the possibility of peatro winning is very slim because somebody else is so much better than him (nico, sam hill), he gets injured for the rest of the season.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
sorry to derail, but i feel like anytime there's a big competition, or the possibility of peatro winning is very slim because somebody else is so much better than him (nico, sam hill), he gets injured for the rest of the season.
No more derailment than wheaties. It could be that he feels he's got to push himself harder to win and ends up wrecking harder.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
I think that the argument of not all cities could host a DH event is mute. When they had the 96 olympics in Atlanta they used the Ocoee river for the paddling events. That is over 2 hrs away. Any large international city that would host the olympics is close enough to a hill or ski area to make this vaible.
Well right now chicago is the front runner for the U.S. bid. So if there were summer olympics there.......it'd be a LONG drive for DH.

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
And in the 84 olympics in Los Angeles, soccer (football) matches were held at Stanford, Harvard and Annapolis.

So, they could have qualies at Northstar and Finals at Diablo for all the history shows. :)

-r

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
If slopestyle progresses at that speed there is more chance for it than for the dh to be at the olympics as it better to watch for someone who doesn't know **** about the sport.

vpfree05

Chimp
May 21, 2006
I dont think the city has anything to do with DH not being in the Olympics. Its just not popular enough yet and still to much of a sub culture in most parts of the world. Just the way i like. Although it would be cool to see in the Olympics. Maybe there would be more coverage finally. Once the numbers/popularity grow it will be in there.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Probably they will start to include more extreme sports when they will realize that this will bring young viewers to the olympics but the problem is that Biking is quite on a far end of the line in x sports.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Virtually no chance of DH being in the Olympics. The IOC are trying to limit the number of events. To get BMX in at Beijing another cycling event had to be chopped (women's time trial) which caused a bit of a problem. Obviously no event in any sport wants to lose its Olympic status so I see no real chance for DH in the near future anyway.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Chop out shooting,wrestling and such stuff as it is **** to watch anyway. Olympics could be anysize if there were viewable events imho. The problem is that the guys from IOC decide all that stuff while playing polo and you can never trust a polo player....