Quantcast

kinda early, but winterizing your bike?

[evo]

Chimp
Apr 4, 2004
Toronto
I plan on getting some fatty tires and dressing warm then cruising everywhere this winter...what are some good steps to take to protect the bike an all?

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
I got a little beanie that was designed to be warn underneath a helmet, that single accessory changed how I ride in the winter. No more frozen face. Good winter cycling gloves make a big difference too, ski gloves are too bulky in the palm area and regular full finger cycling gloves are too ventilated to keep your fingers warm.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
I wouldn't reccommend those lizard skins fork boots, the fork seals do a good job as it is and when you get crap inside the neoprene fork boots it's like sandpaper. They hold the grit in there and just waste away at your fork. Besides that I would reccomend just doing your routine maintnence more often if you're riding in a lot of mud and salty roads or whatever.

cali4niabiker

Monkey
Jun 29, 2004
ATLANTA, GA
Oh man... its been so long since I've ridden in the cold. Hmm... beer must've killed that brain cell containing that memory of riding in 40 degrees & rain. :D

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Let me tell you I don't miss that at all...

one thing you can do is buy some small balloons and use then as condoms over your headset. Works great to keep the moisture/water/salt out of your headset bearings.

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Acadian said:
Let me tell you I don't miss that at all...

one thing you can do is buy some small balloons and use then as condoms over your headset. Works great to keep the moisture/water/salt out of your headset bearings.
You have the best method of winterizing your bike..................You don't ride it ;) I would ride in the winter, but the MTB troll won't let me :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :stosh: ;) :sneaky: