Quantcast

Kids trail bike fork recomendation

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
My wife has a Schwinn Rocket 88 pro (DW like link XC bike) that my son is taking over for trail riding. Everything on it is pretty nice (XTR etc.) with the exception of the crappy Manitou air fork that has absolutely no damping. I'm looking for recommendations for something with about 130mm of travel, standard quick release so I don't have to replace the hub, adjustable to the point that a 65lb kid will get some action out of it.

I don't want to spend a lot of money (he has a FSR Grom Hit that sees more use) so it could be something old as long as it functions well.

I came across a RS Psylo for a descent price but know nothing about stuff outside of the DH world. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Rockshox Sektor 150 RL dual. I just put one on my daughters Gromhit. I found a brand new one for under $300 and it was 9mm QR

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Last edited:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I'm tempted to say old Fox Vanilla, but I'm not sure there was ever a spring-rate light enough. Can't go wrong with an older Zoke. I used to beat the piss out of the EXR air on my Kona back in 2000ish and it never let me down, probably only cost you $20 for one these days.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
The Sektor I got for my daughters bike is 130-150 adjustable, NON-tapered, disc, 9mm QR. She runs it in the 130 mode when riding XC. It drops it down an inch. She runs it in the 150 for DH. Awesome fork for a kids bike.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
I might just have to bite the bullet and get a new hub/ wheel for the front. The current one is not disk compatible. I have plenty of spare disk brakes. And if that's the case, then it opens up fork choices with a different axel design..

It's MTB. nothing is ever as cheap and easy as you would think. Damn spoiled kid.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
I might just have to bite the bullet and get a new hub/ wheel for the front. The current one is not disk compatible. I have plenty of spare disk brakes. And if that's the case, then it opens up fork choices with a different axel design..

It's MTB. nothing is ever as cheap and easy as you would think. Damn spoiled kid.
I think this justifies you splurging on totally unnecessary yet perversely fulfilling bike bits for yourself.

Manifesto

Monkey
Aug 16, 2009
your moms basement
Hey you can always do what I did

Go pick up a 08ish fox 36 van r for a couple hundred bucks, have it in the medium travel setting and pick up a compatible front wheel for 30 bucks. Browse the classifieds from all the mountain bike websites and you will find steals!

Goodluck on your search brother

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley

I've got an older Sherman Firefly TPC+ that is standard QR with disc tabs. (See pic). ~ 8 1/2" steerer tube. It hasn't been used in a few years, so it might need service. However it worked great the last time it was used.

As for "cheap and easy" it's possible I might part with it for 2 six packs of Smuttynose Noonan Black IPA. :D

Attachments

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you need one, I have a disk compatible QR wheelset I'd part with cheap or trade for other **** I might need. I have an ever cheaper QR wheelset I can yank off my wife's bike for the less cheap wheelset that I might be willing to just get rid of.

I have a psylo with an ultralight spring, it might have post mounts, not sure. It's yours if you want. It needs a 20mm though.