Quantcast

Kids DH bike

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Was not aware of those tire options in a 24"...son has Spec FSR gromhit.
I'm finding Ben really likes the High Rollers and they work quite well for him. I suppose they aren't ideal on wet rocky or rooty sections...but they are noticeable faster than anything else which is a big deal for light riders - especially when it flattens out and there isn't much gravity. He gets great braking from them and he rails the turns. It is all I had on his bikes over the last two years. I deciced to try the Kendas this year for the steep, loose trails, and we conditions he is riding on now. I pulled the Kenda off the back last time we were at Snowshoe and only saw advantages.

(I follow Ben when we ride)

Last edited:

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
That is a very cool bike Oldranger!!
How does he fit on the Demo at that height?
May I ask what rims and stem did you use?
Also have you got any pictures of your old SX Trail?

Last edited:

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
That is a very cool bike Oldranger!!
Thanks! That BigHit Grom you put together is sweet - nice detailed work to get his seat lower

How does he fit on the Demo at that height?
He fits quite well. I'll try to post a video someone took of him at Beech Mountain:

The rims are a combination: I had a set of 24" Sun Ringle Single Tracks on his SX Trail. Nice and wide at 31mm, but heavy for a 24" rim at 540g. I used the front one from that bike, but since the Demo has a different rear axle I had to get another rear wheel built. The only 24" 32h wheels available this year were from North Shore Bikes - the Trailmaster. I stuck with 32h so I can reuse the hubs when I build out 26" wheels. I think 24" wheels are ideal for a 2-3 year period when riders are between 52" and 58" or so. I'm still guessing on the height where 26" become ideal because Ben hasn't asked for them yet on his DH bike.

The Direct mount stem I found for him with a negative rise was the Canfield Brothers Stem. It had limited availability when I bought it - they are a small business. When I ordered it from them a couple months back they were working on a new model and stock was limited.

Last edited:

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Also have you got any pictures of your old SX Trail?
Here is a picture I have handy of his 2011 SX Trail, frame size small. I can take some better ones if there is interest. He had a blast on this bike and we are going to keep it and put 26" wheels on it. It will be fun to ride on jump lines and some trails.

Edit: attached a cool pic from one of our best photographers out on the scene...

Attachments

Last edited:

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Am bitter that I didn't senselessly blow all the dough I had at the time you sold that Stinky. :banghead:
The Stinky 24 was cool, and an easy option for getting started when you don't want to get in to the details and build a bike. (Not saying that was the case for you Bizutch) I bought some super cheap overstock Marz suspension components to ditch the coils. 70 pound kids don't get much action out of the original Kona rear spring and the DJ3 coil fork.

Funny thing is that there aren't really very many 24" complete builds available - so resale is good. If you ride lift assist parks and buy one to offset the cost of rentals - and take good care of the bike...it is not va ery expense endeavor.

Attachments

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
That's awesome. I've seen other youth riders with bikes set up like that. Does she like it? Maybe we'll see you up there last week of July!

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
You can add this one to the mix now too. ConnorDH.jpg

Proto 20" DHer made by Commonwealth (aka Cantabrigian Mechanics) for my son.

-ska todd

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
We're closing a 'chapter' in Ben's riding. So at almost 10 years old, weighing 83lbs, and standing 57" tall, and after two races on 26" wheels we are officially at the end of the age of 24". Here are some shots of Ben at the last Beech Mountain DH race of 2013 rolling 26" wheels on his XS Demo.

I still consider him a 'Kid'...but I guess times are changing.

By the way - he never asked to go back to the smaller wheels, nor did he complain about feeling awkward. It's hard for me to assess how it affects his riding just yet, but he says he likes them better.

Attachments

Last edited:

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
We're closing a 'chapter' in Ben's riding. So at almost 10 years old, weighing 83lbs, and standing 57" tall, and after two races on 26" wheels we are officially at the end of the age of 24". Here are some shots of Ben at the last Beech Mountain DH race of 2013 rolling 26" wheels on his XS Demo.

By the way - he never asked to go back to the smaller wheels, nor did he complain about feeling awkward. It's hard for me to assess how it affects his riding just yet, but he says he likes them better.
Oldranger, that's great jumping!

Thank you for sharing Ben details. Its very helpful for guys like me, who have smaller kid, to help as make predictions on when to switch bikes, wheels etc.

I think if you really want to measure difference between the 24/26" wheels, you could. Just use GPS cycle computer or phone with cycle-app in his pocket. Let him do 3 or so runs average the time and swap the wheels do the same, and you will know for fact.

Last edited:

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
Thanks Jim Mac, I am trying to teach him basics before he tries to go too fast.

Bizutch, it's my favorite pic from the holiday, even though we are not riding in it.
It just sums up the father and son time, all the chatting on the lift ....

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

He looked just fine at Snowshoe.

For any of the rest of you we are looking for another GromHit FSR if anyone knows of one.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
In comparison, here's an FSR Grom Hit with my son on it. He's about 50 lbs and probably comes in at around 45-48 inches tall.

I'm a terrible photographer.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
bump, still looking for another gromhit FSR if anyone knows of a reasonably priced bike out there.....will pay to have it shipped.

Oldranger

Chimp
Jan 20, 2013
USA
Check it out folks...Canfield Brothers are making cranks as short as 155mm. If got a set on order.

Did a bit of research on 'gearing' and crank length and will also go with a 34T chain ring. This was the missing piece on the little shredder DH bike!

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
Check it out folks...Canfield Brothers are making cranks as short as 155mm. If got a set on order.

Did a bit of research on 'gearing' and crank length and will also go with a 34T chain ring. This was the missing piece on the little shredder DH bike!
I have seen these cranks. I agree they are perfect for bigger boys like yours.

If you were willing to change the rear hub to Canfield brothers 9t you could even run 32t chainring with micro chain guide giving you more bb clearance. But thats perhaps great effort and expense for small gain...

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
So my 2 year old has been shredding his strider pretty hard..

I take him down to this trail by my house and it is incredible that he is able to ride some of these steeper sections with rocks..hes also able to descend some big sustained hills that take allot of control to not get going to fast...his bike control is really good..yesterday he was bombing this rock section sporting no shorts..just a diaper..pretty funny

Id imagine he will be ready to graduate to a pedal bike within a year..I would like to get him on something like the little shredder although Im not sure how big a 16" wheeled one actually is..anybody have any experience with the 16"? how big/old was your kid when they started riding one?

Last edited:

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
So my 2 year old has been shredding his strider pretty hard..

I take him down to this trail by my house and it is incredible that he is able to ride some of these steeper sections with rocks..hes also able to descend some big sustained hills that take allot of control to not get going to fast...his bike control is really good..yesterday he was bombing this rock section sporting no shorts..just a diaper..pretty funny

Id imagine he will be ready to graduate to a pedal bike within a year..I would like to get him on something like the little shredder although Im not sure how big a 16" wheeled one actually is..anybody have any experience with the 16"? how big/old was your kid when they started riding one?
Unless he's really big for 2, the best bike to start pedalling that I've found is the Specialized Hot Rock 12. My daughter rode hers for quite a while before being ready for a 16", although she is small for her age. If you go too big too soon, he won't be as comfortable and likely won't progress as fast.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Unless he's really big for 2, the best bike to start pedalling that I've found is the Specialized Hot Rock 12. My daughter rode hers for quite a while before being ready for a 16", although she is small for her age. If you go too big too soon, he won't be as comfortable and likely won't progress as fast.
those look cool but id like to get the boy on some handbrakes asap...

he knows the concept already..he can ride an atc 70 (handbrake and throttle) as long as I sit on the back and help him with the steering...

he just got a pw50 with training wheels but hes been hesitant to try it by himself..Im sure one day soon he will jump on it..it has handbrakes so Id imagine he will have it dialed by the time hes ready to ride a bike with pedals..

Grandpa

Chimp
Jul 18, 2014
those look cool but id like to get the boy on some handbrakes asap...

how about a diamondback remix 12" http://www.diamondback-bmx.eu/BMX/ProductType/ProductRange/Product/Default.aspx?pc=1&pt=2&pg=12058.
My boys (twins) are 2.5 are we've just got them these. They don't come with training wheels but you can modify a standard set pretty easily. They are also pretty handy on their striders so will leave the trainers on until the pedaling, steering without watching their feet and braking is all under control.

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
Hi Guys,

I hope all these DH dads that contributed to this thread, that has been so helpful to us, can help me.
I want to keep my son on 24" wheels for while still, but i am finding it extremely difficult to find tires!

He loves Schwalbe Big Betty 24, but i cant find them anywhere to buy anymore.
Do you know if I can get them still somewhere?

And if not, what other tires can you still buy in 24", other then semi slick DJ ones...

Many thanks for any help

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Maxxis Highrollers and a few Arrow tires. Call Arrow. They have a ton left and even the super light 24" tubes.

wydopen

Turbo Monkey
Jan 16, 2005
Not a DH bike but here is an idea for guys with younger kids.. My 2-1/2 year old son has been pinning it on his strider...I take him on some trails and to the local dj's with it and he charges pretty hard..Kept pushing his front end in blown out turns and he kept telling me "Daddy! I need tires that dig in!" Not really any options to replace the stock foam tires so I hooked him up with some retreads..I just cut the sidewall off and then used DAP weldwood contact cement..works perfect they are holding up great..

I felt bad putting kendas on his bike but all my other tires still had some life left in them...Ive had that nevegal sitting in the garage for 10years..glad I kept it..Thing hooks up so much better now..hes been bombing some steep chutes and holding his line through some powdery blown out berms with it...going to trim the transition knobs down a bit..should work good
retreads.jpg

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
@Oldranger Ben's looking good!

I might be making the switch to 26" wheels for Xander a bit early. All the kids that ride the ESC races further north are man handling 26" wheeled bikes. So last weekend at Mountain Creek Xander took a run on mom's TR450. Although it was obviously sprung way too heavy for him, and the handlebars are almost chin height, he said it felt a lot better than the grom hit. He felt the 26" wheels rolled over and through the rocks and breaking bumps way better than his grom hit, and he was still able to jump it pretty well.

So I'm looking at finding a 160-180mm air fork, lightening the wheelset up by going tubeless single ply tires for him, adding a rear air shock and hopefully find a few lighterweight bits where I can.

student

Chimp
May 28, 2012
@Kntr, thank you. TBH I would like to avoid tire as heavy as High Roller if possible. Think they weigh in about 1050-1100g, compared to Big Betty's 780g, plus they are pretty hard compound compared to 3C of the BBs.

I am open to further 24" tire suggestions, so pls share if you know of any, thanks.

@kickstand, how old/tall is your boy pls? Last time I asked he was similar to my boy.

I am considering putting mine on 26" bike or at least 26" front wheel, as the selection of 24" tires is so bad.